Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  13:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are a HUGE commitment, and it has taken me over 10 years to be in a situation where I can commit to such a long term inhabitant of my house. Its not the cheapest of hobbies either, not ridiculously priced but getting started takes a lot of equipment.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  13:27:57  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bethm01

[b]Staple, if I go to Uni, I suppose that my friends or my cousin who is an animal fanatic could look after them...

Your friends may no longer be your friends when your older. I would give your cousin a heads up though first. It's so sad and frustrating to see people getting reptiles when young, not thinking they live for that long and then they have to sell the off for things like uni because no-one else will look after them and halls aren't nice about pets... after the first year you may be able to have them with you again ^^

My family weren't too chuffed abut dead mice in the freezer and I keep a lot of my mice at my boyfriend's mum's house were his brother is very squeamish... a nice icecream tub/microwave tub clearly labelled mice and then them all in a plastic food bag or something they don't mind about. It's only if they are all loose so they can get into the pea bag and sausages. A mini freeze costs a fair bit of electricity to run really, just for one snake as I did some pricing up myself.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  13:37:08  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
when i was a teenager i was told i couldn't have a garter snake (were more common than corns at the time) and i didn't get a snake until my mid twenties

looking back, if i'd got a snake as a kid i very much doubt i'd have the passion for them that i have now, or would have got half as much out of keeping one as i now do

doesn't help much but i have been in that situation

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Bethm01
Egg

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  14:08:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, GP :)
Go to Top of Page

Bethm01
Egg

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  14:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm confused now...
He (my dad) did say I could get a Bearded Dragon, though, when we discussed it, and I was in such a bad state and mood that I point blank refused.
Bearded Dragons are actually quite cute.
I don't think I'll get a Corn Snake.
Do you think I should get a Bearded Dragon? They live for around 7-12ish years... that's not too bad.
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  14:19:43  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thats probably why you dad is happy with that, they have a shorter life span. But wont they eat crickets?? They gonna be happy with live crickets in their cupboards? I might be wrong with their dietary requirements tho

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

Bethm01
Egg

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  14:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly.
Lizards, to me, just don't have that certain charm that snakes have! I've been looking at them, and the only one that looks OK is a Leopard Gecko, but... it's so boring to me!
Go to Top of Page

Bethm01
Egg

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  14:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I quite like the Crested Gecko, actually :)
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  14:44:27  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Gecko's are quite active lizards. I looked into them at your age too as well as snakes, sadly i waited til i was 29 to get my snake. I kept trophical fish in the mean time, then made the decision last month to finally get a snake!

Crested gecko's i think only eat fruit (again maybe wrong) bannana's i think. The wife loves them.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith

Edited by - Simmy_82 on 03/08/2011 14:45:23
Go to Top of Page

Aegis
Hatchling

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  15:06:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are looking into getting a gecko for the hubby. He likes Leopard geckos. I said he can have a gecko if i get another corn!

But anyways, make sure you know the pet you REALLY want. Its no use getting one and thinking "kinda wish i got the other" if you get what i mean?

I would do a "pro and con" list of each pet. :) That might help!

4.0.0 Kids (Hugh, Seamus, Athrun + JD)
1.0.0 Gingy cat (Fintan Stack)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Karuza)

Go to Top of Page

Bethm01
Egg

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  19:35:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've made an arrangement about the Uni thing, and if I do well at the weekend I'll be getting a snake in May 2012, I think.
Go to Top of Page

JackHutchy979
Hatchling

199 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  19:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pets at Home Is great for hides at stuff like that but only sell lizards was there earlier today hoping to find snakes but not a one
Go to Top of Page

Bethm01
Egg

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  20:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was hoping they had them in Pets at Home, but another user (gmac) told me that they don't so I'll just see where my dad takes me...
Go to Top of Page

Aegis
Hatchling

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  20:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My father in law was at his local PAH (Inverness) today and he says they are starting to take in Corn snakes next week. He is going back next week to see them. Maybe get one.

4.0.0 Kids (Hugh, Seamus, Athrun + JD)
1.0.0 Gingy cat (Fintan Stack)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Karuza)

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  20:41:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They didnt last time i was in Bethm01, give them a call see of they have. But is better going to an established rep shop, they are goldfish and furry dealers that send the staff on a quick course to learn about corns.

Go to Top of Page

Bethm01
Egg

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  21:49:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aegis, that'd be brilliant, so it would!

Thanks, Gmac, I'll tell him to phone in and ask.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  22:09:12  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Pets at home will whack on the price too and tell you to buy a massive glass set-up... which you wont need.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Bethm01
Egg

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  22:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found a great starter kit online, which will certainly do me for 2-7ish months:
http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/komodo-basic-hatchling-kit.html
Costs nearly £30 from Net Pet Shop!
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  22:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its got a REALLY important bit missing (nothing new there then), a thermostat!

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  22:39:24  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
she knew about the thermostat and thermometer needed too tho

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000