Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Something for you all to think about.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  16:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just received a parcel through the post containing over 200 African Land Snails . Including 2 adults and the rest are finger nail size and about 1"-2" shell size. They have not had the best start in life, poor things.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  16:43:02  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Were you expecting anything like that in the post?

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  16:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you feel you need to part with any, my PTS would love to 'meet' them
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2011 :  06:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ Simmy_82 - I was expecting some snails in the post, just not that quantity.

@ Figs - Though I have to say I did think about offering some to my berber skinks, but I feel so sorry for the snails, and they are mostly to big for my little berbers anyway.

They are in really quite poor condition. Most have some quite serious shell damage, probably caused through lack of calcium and being in very cramped conditions. So there is no way a pet shop will take these ones. I have not got a clue what I am going to do with them all. I'll end up having RUBS stacked to the ceiling if they all stay. and will have to rent a field and plant it with lettuces

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2011 :  08:32:30  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
where did you get them? I had something similar happen to me TWICE when 2 seperate breeders were meant to send me "a snail"

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2011 :  09:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it not a bit harsh sending them as regular mail anyways? :p

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2011 :  12:24:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sending snails by mail,recorded delivery, is quite common. I have to say they were packaged very well in a large parcel box with scrunched up newpaper. The snails were in rigid luch boxes which had damp moss in and air holes had been put in as well. They are so hungry though devour anything and all I put in and have munched their way through 3 cuttlefish.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2011 :  09:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

You'd think snail mail would be better,but it takes forever for them to be delivered that way.
I've kind of adopted 4 GALS,never read owt about them before having them so its a learning curve for me. Their shells don't look very good to me,1 looks like it has a small hole in its shell,can their shells repair as they grow?
I've popped cuttlefish in with them,there was none and I don't know if they've had it before. Just hope they'll be ok,they are active (for a snail anyway).

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2011 :  10:56:52  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They can't repair their shells as they grow, no.
If it is clearly a hole it might be worth doing a repair on it to seal it up. I'm sure I've got a pic of the repair I made to cordelias shell when she was but a teeny tiny snail (compared to now anyway).

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2011 :  18:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

You'd think snail mail would be better,but it takes forever for them to be delivered that way.
I've kind of adopted 4 GALS,never read owt about them before having them so its a learning curve for me. Their shells don't look very good to me,1 looks like it has a small hole in its shell,can their shells repair as they grow? I've popped cuttlefish in with them,there was none and I don't know if they've had it before. Just hope they'll be ok,they are active (for a snail anyway).

It sounds like lack of calcium, I'm sure now they have a cuttlefish they will be fine. Some of these snails I have here are missing most of the whorls, with some only having the main one and one more. I'm not sure whether these will survive. They are fine at the moment but I don't think they will fit in there shells when they are adults

Mort, you will grow to love your snails they are amazing creatures to watch really, especially their courtship.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2011 :  18:25:15  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If they're alive now I wouldn't imagine that it would cause much of an issue when they're older either.
As the snail grows, so does the shell, I don't think mine use the ends of their shells anymore, one of them has the tip broken off a bit as well and it seems to be causing no issue.

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  09:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cleaned them out last night and took a proper look at the one with the hole. The holes approx a cm in length and you can see its body. Silly question maybe,but if it needs repairing,how do I go about repairing a snails shell?!
I also found a cluster of eggs beneath the soil when cleaning them out too!
The problem is I'm not sure if I'll be keeping them or not. A friend of my sisters asked her if I'd take them off her hands. She got them from her kids school,but one of her daughters was so scared of them she wouldn't even go in the same room as them. She thinks they were given to her for keeps,but there is the chance she got it wrong and they'll have to go back the school once the hols are over. Due to that I'm not counting them as mine at the mo.
Anyhow,I've put some pics up so if you could let me know if they look ok I'd greatly appreciate it.

0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  11:46:54  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Know any French in your area?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  14:14:06  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would assume that they're to look after during school hols and that they're going back afterwards.
If you want to keep a few then keep some of the eggs and let them hatch, if not then take the eggs out and put them into a bag and pop them into the freezer for about 24 hours.

Regarding the shell damage, it's actually a fairly easy fix, but you're going to need a seperate tub to put that snail into, it doesn't matter what size it is, as it's not gonna be in it long and you may end up accidently forcing a hibernative state as well.

Firstly, get a smaller tub to put the snail into and get some polyfilla. Use the polyfilla on the hole, mainly to cover it NOT fill it. Once the polyfilla is on, put the snail into the smaller tub and leave it like that for a fair few hours, misting etc will make it take longer to set.
Once the polyfilla has been set, guesstimate at about 24 hours for this then remove the snail. Some snails will have put themselves into a hibernative state as they have been in a small tub for 24 hours with no misting, no soil, nothing but themselves.
If they have, it makes no odds.
Get something to seal the polyfilla, I used nail varnish.

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  17:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats what I'm thinking,can't see the school not wanting them back.....even if they haven't been cared for properly. Might stick a note to the enclosure on their return with some basic care tips.
I have a few spare tubs that I could use for treatment/isolation purposes. I'm just a little concerned about it making contact with the snails body if I attempt a repair as its flesh seems quite close to the opening.

1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  20:36:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can use a small piece of gauze to put over the hole before appyling the polyfilla or you can use plaster of paris again coated with nail varnish.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  21:02:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh cheers for that. Why didn't I think of gauze....DOH!!

1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000