Help Identifying snake!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sara3502
Hatchling

111 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2011 :  23:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was in Brady TX today and I caught a 12 inch probably baby snake. It seems a little aggressive, striking at my hand but not biting and I need help figuring out what kind of snake it is. I will put up pictures, sorry if they aren't very close up!

Sara3502
Hatchling

111 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2011 :  23:54:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, his belly is pale yellow, and his tongue is blue/black.
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2011 :  02:25:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You took a wild snake, why? and is that a carrot?????

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Sara3502
Hatchling

111 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2011 :  04:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The carrot was to see how aggressive he was, if he would strike it we would have to be careful and he didnt and now we are handling him, he is fine.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2011 :  04:24:21  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My guess would be the Yellow belly racer, in a transitional period.
Coluber constrictor flaviventris

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Sara3502
Hatchling

111 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2011 :  04:43:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats what I thought, so he is nice and happy now, do you think he is large enough to eat pinkies? My old corn snake ate them at that size, so I think he should be fine with those.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2011 :  09:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think its definately a racer of some sort! not sure which though. Do you live in Texas then? or even America?
I all seriousness, if you dont know what you are catching, then for your sake, dont capture it, although there might only be 4 types of venemous snakes there, there are also a few rear fanged colubrids, some of which would give you a really nasty bite, something you would surely regret.

Can you confidently tell the difference between a milk snake and a coral snake? its an easy mistake and that one would ruin your day very much.
the rest, cottonmouth, copper head and most rattlesnakes are quite easily distinguishable, but rear fanged stuff isnt.

I strongly advise that if you dont know what it is, dont pick it up, and if children have access, then really dont take the risk, just because it didnt bite you when you got hold of it, doesnt mean it never will.
I dont mean to p*ss on your BBQ, far from it, i am all up for finding snakes and stuff in the wild, been there done that, got bitten by an Adder for my troubles! I just mean take precautions, if you dont know what it is, dont take the risk, i can assure you a bite from a haemotoxic snake (viper, the majority of USA venemous snakes) hurts, alot.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000