New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ashma
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2011 :  08:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, my other half had Pixie, our snow corn out for a bit of a wander last night and we noticed that the very tip of her tail looked a bit 'stub-like' and was black, almost looked singed/burnt. We checked heat mat/stat etc and everything was fine, so we're just a bit confused as to whether its anything or nothing.

Any thoughts?

Location - Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2011 :  08:50:48  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
how has her previous sheds been? Often a sign that the tail previous sheds have been left on means the tip of the tail turns black.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ashma
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2011 :  08:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Her sheds have always been a bit iffy, sometimes in one piece, sometimes in bits. Her last shed was (what we thought) in one piece. Luckily I still have the skin, so I could check tonight to see if the tail tip is missing. She has missed the tail before now that I think about it.

Is this something to be worried about?

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2011 :  09:00:40  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No, you just may have a stumpy tail snake.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Ashma
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2011 :  09:02:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phew. Its more the other half, she refuses to believe that snakes are hardy little things and likes to wrap them in cotton wool (not literally of course!). We're off to a local reptile shop this afternoon so we'll be taking her for a once over. I'm happy that I've found the explanation though. She's our only bad shedder. Poor little thing!

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2011 :  09:09:12  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
try a damp hide when shes about to shed. My youngest corn was a bad shedder until i sorted him out with a damp hide for shedding. He used it a couple of times and now he sheds no problem at all without it xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ashma
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2011 :  09:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will definitely give that a go, we have some moss lurking around somewhere. Problem is, with Pixie being a snow, its difficult to tell when she's coming up to shed. OH is getting a lot better at it though, so we can try and give it a whirl next time around.

Thanks for the quick responses guys! You've saved me from an afternoon of moaning haha :)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2011 :  14:13:00  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if it's gone black then the stuck shed has been there and left there for a considerable length of time. the tip of the tail has probably died and will come off, usually in a subsequent shed. the remaining stump may need treatment if it leaves an open wound.
i think an afternoon of moaning should still be in order as this is totally avoidable and purely poor husbandry!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Ashma
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2011 :  17:54:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Figured I should give an update on this one, as I would not like my husbandry to be brought into question unnecessarily.
ginger - you would be completely correct in what you said, however, the black mark did not turn out to bedead tail tissue or missed shed.

I can't believe I'm about to admit this one......*sigh*......the black mark.......was dried poop........

Pixie has been a notoriously difficult shedder, but her last three sheds have been smooth and in one piece, so whilst I believed the black mark maybe was to do with previous sheds, I was still unsure. After having it checked out, I'm both pleased and relieved to report what it really was.

Go to Top of Page

stuart619
Hatchling

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2011 :  18:23:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad the initial diagnosis turned out to be a pile of cr*p(sorry... bad joke in there somewhere).

I don't think that GP was having a go at you or your husbandry just having a go at husbandry which would allow a retained shed to be ignored. Of course this was not the case in your instance which I am glad to hear

Pretty funny cause in the end though... Dried poop

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2011 :  21:07:27  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thak goodness for that!

too many people post on here that tail-tips are going black and necrotic, people generally post 'oh its ok it'll just drop off and be fine with a stump' and that makes my blood boil!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2011 :  21:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol, sorry to laugh, but that really was funny.
I am glad though that everything was ok in the end!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Ashma
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2011 :  22:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad it turned out to be ok too :)
Ginger - I can completely understand, apathy towards potentially serious problems is something that really bugs me aswell. Something as serious as rotting flesh on a snake is something that should be taken very seriously indeed.

I'll echo everyone's sentiments here when I say thank god is was just poop. Just wish I'd had a sniff before I started getting worried, haha!

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  16:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol!! Bet you've never been so pleased to see poo!!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  16:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad it turned out to be poop! xD

As a snow owner, I have a few wee tricks for telling when Lister is coming up to shed that may help!
With Lister, he goes just a wee tad pinker on the belly and around the head. Also, when I hold him with a coil around my finger, instead of the scales laying completely smooth, the tips poke out more, making the outline more jagged! Those are my sure fire ways to tell with Lister! :)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  19:42:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHA! Thank goodness, it not serious and very funny instead.

I dont get why people say its fine to have a tail tip die though, I'm with GP, makes my blood boil that a lapse in husbandry is widely accepted as fine.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Ashma
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  20:30:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mort - agreed! I never thought I would be so pleased about poop!

Spreebok - thanks very much for the tips, I've passed them on and the OH is making note of what to look for. She has gotten a lot more observant these days and notices a cloudiness about the eyes aswell.

lotabob - I agree. If it were the tail tip it would have been a very solemn weekend in my house. We both pride ourselves on looking after our snakes to the best of our abilities and such a mistake would have been wreckless in the least and neglectful in the worst case. We do keep a special eye on Pixie due to the difficult shedding in the past, so it would be difficult for anything serious to get past us. Luckily we now have 4 good shedders and two ickle babies who are yet to shed with us. Quietly confident though! ;)

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  22:21:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your doing just fine, just teach them to wipe their bottoms properly from now on

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Ashma
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2011 :  07:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll have to get a loo roll dispenser in each viv!

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2011 :  12:38:23  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I suppose with some snakes it is hard to see if their tail end is dying maybe or missing shed. All my snakes tail tips are black naturally but it's still no excuse for not having a good look!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Ashma
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2011 :  13:04:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed. Shedding is one of those things we like to keep our eye on. I think its the thought of them being uncomfortable that spurs us on

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000