Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  18:29:09  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Beautiful snake, I'd get one if they stayed that size. Just not keen on having to have a couple of friends round when I want to handle my snake - that sounds so wrong!

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

kelfezond
Snake Mite

42 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  18:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lmao BE!

Yeah ginger I occasionally wimp out of getting pandora's water bowl out when she's looking angry and wait till she turns away before I grab it. I guess I imagine a big burm will be like karr from the jungle book where he's so big you hardly ever see the head, just lenghts and lengths of coil occasionally running through bedrooms and doorways like computer cables. XP
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  18:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful snake. My ex had a normal years ago and it was a stunning snake with a lovely nature. Miss the snake a lot more than him lol!!
Do you have friends/family that are happy to help you for when its bigger so you can safely handle it?

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  19:17:58  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Beautiful snake, I'd get one if they stayed that size. Just not keen on having to have a couple of friends round when I want to handle my snake - that sounds so wrong!

you can actually get dwarfs that max out at around 6ft
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  19:20:01  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

Beautiful snake. My ex had a normal years ago and it was a stunning snake with a lovely nature. Miss the snake a lot more than him lol!!
Do you have friends/family that are happy to help you for when its bigger so you can safely handle it?

yh that wont really be a problem at all, getting his water bowl was abit of a challenge yesterday, he didnt take his eyes off me but didnt budge lol
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  08:54:53  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
im sure i read somewhere you said he was viv difensive... eeeek! Good luck with that one.

question though... why get one when you have a baby on the way if you didnt want to get other snakes cos of the baby?

The markings are lovely. Its a very very beautiful snake. Heres hoping you manage it ok and it has a forever home. Doesnt matter how experienced I get or was... I dont think I would have one of them. My flat is far too small (3 bedroom). One day I might have a huuuuge house and then expand my snake collection

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  11:38:35  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemypets1988

quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

you can actually get dwarfs that max out at around 6ft

That's called a Royal

Not sure about dwarf burms, but interested in some of the dwarf Retics.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  15:34:27  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

opportunistic feeders so can and often do get obese in captivity as they always act hungry, feed every 7 days during growth, every 214 days there after.
all this knowledge is from years of experience and research, so im fully prepared for the handling and looking after of this snake.

Thats going to be one hungry snake

Edited by - lee2308 on 09/07/2011 15:35:02
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  15:39:15  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
there are also dwarf burms, also known as island burms as they come from a small indian island i think (not too sure on where they actually come from). anyway, heres some more updated pics, hes still in a small viv but with a different substrate though:

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  17:08:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might want to move the waterbowl out of the road if the big boy has to go through it to go anywhere you'll be forever fishing substrate out of there.

Lovely looking snake, not one on my wishlist but good to look at all the same.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  17:24:54  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

quote:

opportunistic feeders so can and often do get obese in captivity as they always act hungry, feed every 7 days during growth, every 214 days there after.
all this knowledge is from years of experience and research, so im fully prepared for the handling and looking after of this snake.

Thats going to be one hungry snake

yh oops i meant every 14 days, anyway, heres some pics that i took earlier of him outside while putting kitchen towel paper over the beech chips:

enjoy
Go to Top of Page

kelfezond
Snake Mite

42 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  09:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm very jealous, soon kelfezond, soon.

As for dwarf burms I did a bit of research into them a while ago and found most people who own one say they are quite aggressive on the whole, much easier to handle a huge friendly snake I think :D

In the end I decided if I got a dwarf burm just because it's smaller than the snake I really want it wouldn't be the same, part of the charm is it's size it would be like getting a hummer in an extra small variety or a really quiet harley lol
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  09:42:29  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kelfezond

I'm very jealous, soon kelfezond, soon.

As for dwarf burms I did a bit of research into them a while ago and found most people who own one say they are quite aggressive on the whole, much easier to handle a huge friendly snake I think :D

In the end I decided if I got a dwarf burm just because it's smaller than the snake I really want it wouldn't be the same, part of the charm is it's size it would be like getting a hummer in an extra small variety or a really quiet harley lol

lol these actually exsist, there made by jeep lol
Go to Top of Page

kelfezond
Snake Mite

42 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  09:54:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's depressing... Whoever owns one had damn well better own a burmese python to make up for it xP
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  09:58:50  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the thing about burms, is that you have to consider alot of things before buying 1,

the biggest thing to consider is the fact that you wont be able to put them in a usual viv with the sliding glass front, as they can and will smash straight through it, so use thick plexy glass instead or the glass with the layer of plastic in between 2 pains. also if you can, get strong plastic as most wooden vivs just aint strong enough for an adult burm.

another thing to consider is the food costs, mines on small adult rats now and thats at 4 months old and just 4 1/2 ft which costs around £3 each, when hes fully grown (depending on how big he gets), im looking at 1 or 2 rabbits at £15 each and if i cant get pre-killed, then its gunna be £30 each for a pet rabbit that i will have to kill myself (dont wanna feed live if i can help it).

these aint small, cheap or easy snakes to look after, they are very rewarding but the best advice i can give to anyone before they go and buy 1 is consider everything and not just the snake as it is when you get it home, but more to do with once its fully grown and also consider the fact that most fully grown burms can kill adult human beings without trying and some could even eat you!
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  10:00:18  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
look for the jeep Pretentious on google images, thats the 1 im thinking of lol

Edited by - ilovemypets1988 on 10/07/2011 10:02:30
Go to Top of Page

kelfezond
Snake Mite

42 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  10:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think it would be a case of killing an adult without trying, the snake would have to try, try pretty hard in fact, and it just wouldn't be in their nature to attempt to constrict a man, bite him - certainly. But mosst of the time biting is defensive and the last thing the snake will want to do is attach itself to something it considers dangerous.

As for eating an adult that is ridiculous, you're more likely to be killed by a plane crashing into your house than have a burmese decide that you're dinner.

Also you should consider buying bulk food online, I buy extra large ratss for my boa at much cheaper than 3 quid each at a and n, although my local reptile store sells extra large rats at about 3.50.
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  12:15:02  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
its pretty pointless buying bulk at the moment as he will go through the food stages every 4 weeks or so, as for burms eating humans, there are actually known cases of such a thing and being constricted by a large snake is very real, infact thats why its highly recommended that theres more than 1 person around when you handle the snake for that exact reason, if you look on you tube, you will see it for yourself and i know people whos had it done to them,

in 1 case an 8ft boa knocked someone out within 15 seconds of being picked up and that was just the snake getting a grip on the person, so imagine what an 18ft burm can do and would if it was spooked or something.

theres 1 case in america where a child was constricted and eaten by an adult burm so as i said, its real so please dont kid yourself on the fact that it wont happen because theres always a very real possibility and even though burms are known to be gentle giants, they can and sometimes do go nuts and have aggressive moments so you should never take them for granted as you will only be kidding yourself
Go to Top of Page

kelfezond
Snake Mite

42 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  12:21:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I watched the burm eating a child thing the other day it was a shame but again very, very rare. All i'm saying is a burm is no more dangerous than a medium sized dog, less dangerous probably so people don't need to keep emphasising how dangerous they are in every topic about big snakes I see there is always the talk of constricting humans and fatality. Yes, be careful, but I don't see a burm as being a dangerous animal, hard to manage yes, most deffinately a difficult animal but there is a huge difference between hard to manage animals or too big to control and dangerous. Just my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  17:51:14  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i know but at the end of the day, people need to know these things before buying 1 so they know what there getting themselves into
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000