Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Andy1211
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  14:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey everyone kinda new here as the title says kinda just found a corn snake wrapped in a towel near me house in car park sad time :( taken to vet etc shes only 4 months old but in fine condition im gonna keep her after me beaded dragon dies few months ago only cage i have atm is an old fist tank sort thing hope this is good enough got heat mat etc left from me beaded dragon any tips advice be great

Nicole.x
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  14:56:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fish tanks are fine - I know a few people personally that keep corns in fish tanks, just make sure the lid is secure.
Although for such a young snake advice is to keep them in RUBs (plastic boxes)...

p.s. congrats on the find (a)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  14:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done to you for rescuing and takin it on. Its so sad when people abandon any animal but an animal dependant on heat sources is especially cruel. Anyway I'm really pleased your taking it on, setup wise it depends on your budget, the size of the tank is important it needs to be quite small, snakes aren't great in big open spaces, Pets at home sell faunariums and those are a good size for a young corn snake. The really important bit of kit is a heat mat, a thermostat and a digital thermometer and a water bowl (which can be any small shallow bowl). The stickies on here, the threads on the top of each subject are a wealth of info, take some time to read through them and anything your not sure of feel free to ask even if you think it might be a silly question.

And Good luck, corns are awesome, you'll love looking after one.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Andy1211
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  14:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kool i have reptile rub used to keep me bearded in when goin to vet etc should be just as fine got a interlocking lid etc . Just cant believe people can be so heartless to animals :(
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  15:12:57  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Awww poor thing :( but also congrats on your new snake :D It may not be 4 months old, it is impossible to know the age of a snake unless you know the date it hatched as they can all vary so much.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  15:19:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its such a shame and I honestly dont get it when snakes are so low maintenance and cheap to feed, if I'm busy on an evening even I can find the 2 minutes to wash and topup 4 waterbowls, thats all thats required most days other than feeding & cleaning days everything else is optional. At least this one gets a second chance. I would give it a week to settle into your home, get used to the smells etc, then give it a feed, a mouse no thicker than 1.5 times the thickness of the snake at its thickest point. Then you get to marvel at the amazing process they go through to swallow their food, it still amazes me everytime. One thing to be aware of is their ability to escape out of the smallest of spaces, I have seen my corn escape out of a airhole that was 6mm accross, once they get their head through the rest will get through no problems. I have a few 18 Litre RUBS and my corn can escape from them, it took him about 5 minutes to figure this out, the lid gap is big enough to squeeze through though the 9 Litre is a much tighter fitting lid and should be fine.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

Andy1211
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  15:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

hers a pic of her :)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  15:29:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww a tiny normal/wildtype one. On a good note that tank looks a nice size for it. Really landed on its feet (hmmm) been found by you. What are you doing for heating. You need a heat mat and really importantly a thermostat, if you dont have these just yet dont worry, its actually warm enough at this time of year to just leave them unheated, the only thing you cant do is feed them when they are unheated though, they need the extra heat for digestion.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Edited by - lotabob on 02/07/2011 15:33:29
Go to Top of Page

Andy1211
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  15:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yea tank is big enough i have a heatmat at one end for her :) so is all good for now just no thermostat local store not open to monday :)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  15:34:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Switch the mat off until you get a thermostat, its not safe to run it unstatted, she will be fine without the heat mat for a few days while you sort out a stat, just dont feed her during this time.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Vixyg
Hatchling

United Kingdom
259 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  15:42:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
awww what a cutie! and so unnecessary for her to be abandoned like that when a simple advert somewhere for free someone would of snapped her up! makes me so angry! well done for being her hero, some people would just walk away. look forward to seeing photos of her as she settles into her new (and very comfy looking!) home. and you can get good thermostats on amazon and ebay, i got my ministat100 which runs a heatmat just fine on ebay for a lot less than they were in the shops and it arrived next day.

0.1.0 miami corn (Chilli)
1.0.0 snow corn (Charlie)
1.0.0 cat (Sprout)
1.0.0 fiance (Matt)
1.0.0 Offspring (Jordan)
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  16:36:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well done for taking her in, would like to meet the person who dumped her

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Andy1211
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  16:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aye definitively would too but glad i found her :P just get everything sorted for her now need to get hold of a mat stat local store here has none :(
Go to Top of Page

Vixyg
Hatchling

United Kingdom
259 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  16:48:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ebay!!!

0.1.0 miami corn (Chilli)
1.0.0 snow corn (Charlie)
1.0.0 cat (Sprout)
1.0.0 fiance (Matt)
1.0.0 Offspring (Jordan)
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  16:59:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So great that you found her! At least the good people in the world seem to out number the horrible ones! Looking forward to seeing how she gets on have you named her yet?

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  17:20:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there are some horrible cruel people in this world but as newbie says fortunately for your little one the good ones outnumber the bad, she's been very lucky YOU found her (i say her, could be a him) she looks lovely, hope she brings you lots of enjoyment, mine never fail to amuse me with their antics

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  17:30:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good for you for taking it in

quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Awww a tiny normal/wildtype one.

isnt a normal

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  17:31:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does not look normal at all, looks like a ghost, although a clearer picture would help

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  18:43:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

good for you for taking it in

quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Awww a tiny normal/wildtype one.

isnt a normal

I thought perhaps a caramel?

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  18:55:31  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Looks anery to me XD looks exactly like my two anerys but then again my screen isn't calibrated with the correct colour. It a gorgeous snake :)

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Andy1211
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  20:02:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for all your replies shes definitely a female had a vet examine her she so active atm but doin well her name is izzy more pics incommin see there are any clearer :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000