New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  07:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to change from using kitchen towel paper for my snakes to something they can easily burrow. I was going to try aubiose but can not get it locally, actually the shops all say they have never heard of it. So they suggested hemcore. Now I have looked on the hemcore website and it says that it now contains citronella but the local shops say that it does not contain this. Is anyone using this hemcore as substrate and do you know anything about it having the citronella in

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  08:42:40  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
having googled it the manufacturers website says 'now contains citronella' so the retailers maybe have old stock that doesn't contain it or haven't been told of the change.

the old stuff would be fine but not too sure about the citronella stuff.........

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

ntbryenton-rochard
Hatchling

165 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  09:08:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought hemcore was the same as aspen. Is it not? I use aspen and Ammy makes fantastic tunnels in it.

1.2.0 kids (Joshua-14, Katie-6 Holly-3)
1.0.0 Corn snake (Amazon-16 months)
1.0.0 Whites tree frog (Froggy-unknown age but owned for 3 years)
0.1.0 Dog (Sophie-11 years)
1.0.0 Cat (Charlie-9 years)
1.0.0 Guineapig (Rox-8 months)
0.1.0 Rabbit (Snowball-3 years)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  09:15:32  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure about the d=added stuff either. All I know is that it repels flies which makes it great with horses, chickens and rabbits but I don't know how it would effect snakes. Equisorb maybe something else you can use I've heard of other people using it. Megazorb is quite good to use as well.

Do you live near a pets corner?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

kabigat
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  14:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is aspen not an option?
It's easy to come buy and cheap enough and the snakes can burrow in it.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  15:15:00  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you have a lot of snakes aspen can get expensive. Or at least the reptile labelled stuff is! Very expensive. That is why people use horse bedding such as Auboise which is the exact same as aspen expect it's dead cheap and you can get massive bags of it. £9 for 20kg beats like £12 for 26l anyday lol

Edited by - Sta~ple on 02/07/2011 15:19:48
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  15:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like sta~ple says, aspen is expensive unless you have just one snake. And I can't even get that locally. Any stockists of aubiose about that have really cheap delivery? It would seem that this is the only bedding, hemp like, that does not have citronella or similar in.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  18:51:58  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Megazorb is good and should be more easier to get hold of. Not aspen, like bits of bally egg boxes lol but it's good just more dusty :/ If you go onto Auboise website and give them an e-mail they tell you if there is anyone near you that stocks it.

http://www.foranimalsshop.co.uk/index.php?_g=co&_a=cart I only know of this place, postage is a killer but even with postage it's still cheaper than buying aspen lol

If you have a pets corner near you some do horsey stuff and stock it although the one near me does not have it out on display at the front, but rather in their storage in the back.

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  19:15:20  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I ordered my aubiose from here http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/horse-bedding/pid3742/cid358/aubiose-hemp-bedding-20kg.asp?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping. £7 for delivery.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

ogri
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  20:06:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know what citronella will do to a snake but it is used in candles to keep away insects and bugs so it may stop bugs trying to move in!

0.1.0. Snow - Binky
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000