Grow your own??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cattNmo
Hatchling

182 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  21:33:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not quite sure where to place this one and it a odd one even for me. Having been to Donni at the weekend :) I ventured in to the "exotic mammals room" personal i did not find them over exotic lol it did make me think.

If you breed you own food. How do you fed them to your snakes. (what i'm trying to say is, how do you kill them?) as i know that living feeding is not recommended. And to me if you fed live pinkies and then dead adults your asking for feeding problems.

Just a very strange thought that I had and now i'm looking for the answer, lol

Three corns, a dog, a cat, 2 kids and a future husband, Yes its a MAD HOUSE in leicester area.

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  21:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry i cant answer that, but my poor snake would starve if i had to breed mice, there no way i could kill them, no matter how humane, i dont have a prob with dead mice in my freezer, handle them no bother, but could not kill em (not relevent but remember my cousin kiling his sisters sick hamster, put it on kitchen table, whapped it on head with big spoon) suppose you could line em up on table with spoon at the ready? lol

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Kittypuss85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  22:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't breed my own food, but I've heard you just put them in the freezer, they freeze to death literally. Apparently it's the most humane way. It's the part of snake keeping I least like to think about!
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  23:06:57  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
pinkies and small fluffs you put in a tupperware box and they do freeze to death. Older mice, im afraid you have to kill them by hand (will not go in to the details for those of a delicate disposition)

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana
Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
582 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2011 :  06:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do breed mice and rats for food for the corns and royals. It's saving us a small fortune. Well worth it if you have a lot of mouths to feed. They do take up a fair bit of room though. We have 2 breeding groups of rats and 1 group of mice. Then have separate cages for each expectant mother.

As for euthanizing ..... That's hubbys department he was all for putting them in the freezer, but I was against that, it's a very long and painful death. We have gone down the gas chamber route..... Little Tupperware box with a canister of co2 attached. Give them a couple of blasts and jobs done

It's not a very pleasant thing. I can't be there when it's done, but it's humane, and our scaly friends have to be fed

0.1 Philodryas baroni
2.7 western hognose
3.7 royal pythons
Go to Top of Page

ntbryenton-rochard
Hatchling

165 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2011 :  07:39:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I couldn't kill them either, I would end up keeping them all as pets....lol

1.2.0 kids (Joshua-14, Katie-6 Holly-3)
1.0.0 Corn snake (Amazon-16 months)
1.0.0 Whites tree frog (Froggy-unknown age but owned for 3 years)
0.1.0 Dog (Sophie-11 years)
1.0.0 Cat (Charlie-9 years)
1.0.0 Guineapig (Rox-8 months)
0.1.0 Rabbit (Snowball-3 years)
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2011 :  11:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I don't breed my own food, but I've heard you just put them in the freezer, they freeze to death literally. Apparently it's the most humane way.

What? Freezing? Freezing is never the humane method when it comes to mammals, and even fish. It's quicker, and more 'humane' in mammals to break the neck, but it must be done correctly. Freezing is a long and painful process. I understand it's often different for pinkies, but for anything hopper upwards, it's going to be long, nasty process for them.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2011 :  17:29:41  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
havinf had a personal friend die of hypothermia one new years eve i'm completely against freezing!!
CO2 is definitely the way to go

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

cattNmo
Hatchling

182 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2011 :  18:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys. It not worth me doing (at the min ) as i only has mo and Tabetha. But at least I know. Think i'd be going with the CO2 thing. Don't like mammels in the freezer unless its already dead.

Once again thanks guys

Three corns, a dog, a cat, 2 kids and a future husband, Yes its a MAD HOUSE in leicester area.
Go to Top of Page

Thante
Hatchling

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2011 :  18:20:00  Show Profile  Visit Thante's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't like the idea of killing mice, but if its a choice between killing them for food, or not having my snakes ..... i'd kill them. But until places stop selling frozen mice, i'll leave the dirty work for someone else :P

0.1.0 Cherry - 09 Normal
1.0.0 Tequila - 09 Caramel Motley
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  09:27:46  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Definitely not freezing- it's a myth that it's humane. A myth that vets and animal care professionals try to quash regulary. It's an awful death, unless the animal is anaesthetised first.

Found this:

'The use of hypothermia and freezing for euthanasia is controversial and is considered not acceptable by many as the formation of ice crystals may be associated with pain. It is unknown whether hypothermia reduces sensibility, therefore freezing is recommended only when there is no other acceptable or practical alternative.'

Here: http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/57253/gen-001.pdf

Go to Top of Page

cattNmo
Hatchling

182 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  21:23:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
after reading that I now remember also reading it in a resent copy of PRK (Sorry if that not allowed mods)

I just never put two and two together, freezing a live animal had never crossed my mind.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000