New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wedjat
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  09:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Corn Snakes experts!
I don't have corn snake yet, but I do have some doubts that are quite important.
First is the size of the faunarium: Is an Exo Terra 46x30x17cm/18"x12"x6 1/2" faunarium good to have the corn from baby till it's big enough to move to a definitive cage?
Then, what should the dimensions of the cage for an adult be? (max and min for life)
I don't know if I'lll be doing it myself or buying so in case of me buying it:
What Exo Terra model do you recommend?
I also found this brand that has some pretty good cages and in the site they say this model:
http://www.pro-cages.com/Pro-Cages-english/index.php?Cages_%26_Prices:PC01 (60x60x40cm/2'x2'x1.5')
is enough for an adult corn snake for life. Is it true? And which of this brands would you say it's best?

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  10:18:51  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My fauns are the same size as the ones mentioned above and are good as starter for baby corns. Personally, i gradually upgraded my viv size with my older corn so as not to stress her out. So from faun, to a 2 ft tank, to a 3 ft viv, to a 4ft viv that she is now in.
As for the make of viv, im not sure the specific make of my viv. it is a wooden viv. Found these to be great. I plan to attempt to build my own vivs for when the 2 babies are big enough to upgrade which will be a while yet.
Final size of viv greatly depends on length of your snake as an adult. Rule of thumb is length of snake = width + length of viv. eg So a 4 ft adult would suit a 3 ft long by 1 ft wide viv.

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana

Edited by - tarotpodge on 29/06/2011 10:20:27
Go to Top of Page

ntbryenton-rochard
Hatchling

165 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  12:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tarotpodge

My fauns are the same size as the ones mentioned above and are good as starter for baby corns. Personally, i gradually upgraded my viv size with my older corn so as not to stress her out. So from faun, to a 2 ft tank, to a 3 ft viv, to a 4ft viv that she is now in.
As for the make of viv, im not sure the specific make of my viv. it is a wooden viv. Found these to be great. I plan to attempt to build my own vivs for when the 2 babies are big enough to upgrade which will be a while yet.
Final size of viv greatly depends on length of your snake as an adult. Rule of thumb is length of snake = width + length of viv. eg So a 4 ft adult would suit a 3 ft long by 1 ft wide viv.

I bought an adult snake starter kit (3'x1') assuming that this will last my snake for life. My snake is already three and a half ft long and he is only 16 months old so judging but his size now I think that he will be very long by the time he is fully grown. Does that mean that I will eventualy need a bigger viv?

1.2.0 kids (Joshua-14, Katie-6 Holly-3)
1.0.0 Corn snake (Amazon-16 months)
1.0.0 Whites tree frog (Froggy-unknown age but owned for 3 years)
0.1.0 Dog (Sophie-11 years)
1.0.0 Cat (Charlie-9 years)
1.0.0 Guineapig (Rox-8 months)
0.1.0 Rabbit (Snowball-3 years)
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  13:24:02  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ntbryenton-rochard

quote:

I bought an adult snake starter kit (3'x1') assuming that this will last my snake for life. My snake is already three and a half ft long and he is only 16 months old so judging but his size now I think that he will be very long by the time he is fully grown. Does that mean that I will eventualy need a bigger viv?

very Possibly. My corn is in a 4 ft viv. Am unsure of her exact length, but as a guess she is about 4 and a half foot(11 years old), possibly a tad bigger.
The problem you have is some corns are happy being in a small 3ftx1ft viv. Adequate for there length. Go too big and they freak out as they have too much room and feel insecure.
I am lucky that mine is happy and seems to have no stress since being in the bigger viv. But just be mind full that what ever size you eventually decide on this may cause anxiety in some snakes.
Best thing i would suggest is IF he out grows the upgrade then think about next size up.

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana

Edited by - tarotpodge on 29/06/2011 13:28:02
Go to Top of Page

Wedjat
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  21:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By your rule of thumb the 2ftx2ftx1,5ft would fit a 4ft snake but don't most snakes outgrow 4ft?
I just didn't want to be jumping around terrariums, wasting good vivs and good money.
I would prefer a smaller viv so that it would fit better in my room, but I do have an old 4ftx1,3ftx2ft viv I might restore...
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  22:58:31  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wedjat

By your rule of thumb the 2ftx2ftx1,5ft would fit a 4ft snake but don't most snakes outgrow 4ft?

Not necessarily. You wont know till you have your snake and it grows. All snakes grow at different rates and eventual adult length difffer greatly. There is no average.

quote:
I just didn't want to be jumping around terrariums, wasting good vivs and good money.
I would prefer a smaller viv so that it would fit better in my room, but I do have an old 4ftx1,3ftx2ft viv I might restore...

I dont mean to sound rude but my snakes health and welfare are the most important when it comes to their environment. I would spend £1000 if thats what it would take to get their housing right, even if it means buying small and gradually upgrading each time(as i did with my first corn) therefore its not a waist.
Its for their best health and welfare to get it right, specific to the individual snake.
Untill you know how long the snake is, cant give you the best dimensions specifically or would be a random guess

Edited by - tarotpodge on 29/06/2011 23:01:20
Go to Top of Page

Wedjat
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2011 :  09:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Not necessarily. You wont know till you have your snake and it grows. All snakes grow at different rates and eventual adult length difffer greatly. There is no average.

quote:

I dont mean to sound rude but my snakes health and welfare are the most important when it comes to their environment. I would spend £1000 if thats what it would take to get their housing right, even if it means buying small and gradually upgrading each time(as i did with my first corn) therefore its not a waist.
Its for their best health and welfare to get it right, specific to the individual snake.
Untill you know how long the snake is, cant give you the best dimensions specifically or would be a random guess

You did not sound rude, I understand what you're saying and for I agree with every word you said. My priority is the snake's wellfare too. Recently I'm moving my bearded dragon from a viv I thought would be fine for his life to something bigger, because it will increase his wellfare.
My point is if they are two paths to arrive at the snake health, and in one we avoid spending too much, I'd prefer that one. But if there is no such option, then I'll be buying five viv if it's needed (I might fill them later ).
Thus I must ask: when does a corn snake stops growing (I know they technicaly never do but at some point they just "stabilize")?
How do you tell if a viv is too small or too big?

Edited by - Wedjat on 30/06/2011 11:55:41
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2011 :  16:30:10  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My adult corn is in a 4 foot viv. Plenty of space for him. He prefers it to the RUB he was in before I ordered him the viv... and he also prefers it to the viv his last owner had him in (2 and half foor viv - home made)

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wedjat
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2011 :  22:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you he prefers it? What are the signs of too big/small viv?
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2011 :  22:35:42  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He did not have as much floor space in the home made one.. and spent most of his time in the one end hide that the old owner had him in. I rehomed him and moved him to a bigger rub, more hides etc and he was more confident and started coming out more. Not hiding away.

In this 4 foot viv he is out constantly, slithering all over his floor space, climbing on things etc. Hes not shy, hes not as defensive as he was and I genuinely feel that for him, the bigger viv was the way to go.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2011 :  22:57:17  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
4ft viv is plentiful bog enough for most corns. 3ft x 1ft is perfectly fine. Corns aren't that active and can live in 2.5ft rubs can fine throughout their life.

In have a snake over 5ft in a 4ft x 1ft viv and he's perfectly happy. I also have a 4ft same in the same size viv as the 5ft one, she much prefers to be in a rub half the size of that viv.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  12:51:59  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

How do you he prefers it? What are the signs of too big/small viv?

Their general behaviour will be a big clue. If they hide away alot and dont move from warm to cold end(especially in the evening), Could indicate they feel insecure as viv is too big. Could possibly go off their food or in extreme cases regurge as they are not moving around to the heat needed to digest their food. Could get defensive as they feel unsure and threatened by the space.

You could expect a small change in behaviour when moving a snake up a viv size, as it can be un settling, but this should settle down after a week or so. but long term behaviour changes could indicate an insecure snake.

Go to Top of Page

Wedjat
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  14:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So shyness and inactinvity for long time=too big

But Mamma said above the cornsnake reacted similarly to a small viv. So, would can I distinguish? Apart from obvious situations (4ft shy in 2ft viv is because it is too small, 2ft shy in 3ft viv is too big), Imagine a 4ft snake shy and defensíve in a 3ft viv, should one go up or down?
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  21:55:41  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

So shyness and inactinvity for long time=too big

But Mamma said above the cornsnake reacted similarly to a small viv. So, would can I distinguish? Apart from obvious situations (4ft shy in 2ft viv is because it is too small, 2ft shy in 3ft viv is too big), Imagine a 4ft snake shy and defensíve in a 3ft viv, should one go up or down?

Personaly, firstly add more places to hide and foliage. 3ft viv "should" be an adequate, comfortable size for 4 ft snake. But obviously we are playing a guessing game. As all snakes differ in size so does their charecter and ability to cope with space. Some 4 ft snakes will be fine in a 3 ft viv, others 4 ft snakes, it may stress them out. When you get your snake you will get to know its normal behaviour and charecter. Then you will instinctively know when something is out of sorts.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000