Baby Cornsnake help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

facio
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2011 :  12:37:00  Show Profile  Click to see facio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok basically just bought baby hatchling for my fionce but he is very jumpy and stuff what is the best way to handle them at this sort of age he is only couple weeks old.?

c.barney

LucyB
Snake Mite

47 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2011 :  12:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations!

First of all I think the general opinion on here is that you need to give the snake a week of no handling at all to settle in - just change water every other day when he is settling.

Then after a week offer a feed, and if he eats this fine then after 48 hours you can start handling.

I've never had a hatchling corn though so someone else will be better able to advice on the rest!!!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2011 :  13:03:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sit down, place a towel over your lap then let it roam around your hands, supporting it's weight but trying not to restrict it's movement or squeeze it (difficult i know!!!)
and keep handling session short 5-10 mins

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Rake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
200 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2011 :  21:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
congratulations on your new arrival, definitely both of the above, go at a slow pace with them, mine was a hatchling and settled quite quick its amazing how fast they adapt

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2011 :  14:19:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seconding GP's suggestion of keeping the body supported, my Psiren gets upset if her body isn't properly supported! :)
Go to Top of Page

Cornsnakeluver127
Egg

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2011 :  18:11:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first hatchie was very jumpy but you should leave them alone for a week then 2 days after you have fed them and then handle them regularly soon after he/she should settle down. Good luck with ur new baby!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000