any good to keep mice in?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2011 :  23:26:05  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi guys,
im getting some mice soon to breed, and im wondering if something like this would be any good?
http://direct.asda.com/ASDA-Plastic-Drawer-Unit/001421750,default,pd.html?cm_mmc=Shopping%20Engines%20ASDA%20Direct-_-Google%20Base-_-Storage-_-ASDA%20Plastic%20Drawer%20Unit&istCompanyId=71f4ae42-94c5-4821-aa58-05eff6da2486&istItemId=xmqrlpxp&istBid=t
please tell me what you think,
thanks

Owner of Renza Exotics - www.renzapets.co.uk
For all your Exotic & Domestic pet needs

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2011 :  23:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
honestly no.. if you want something like that then RUBs would be better - I don't think there are lids on the individual drawers in that set, but not sure how good rubs are for furries..

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2011 :  23:47:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mice + Softer plastic = a little hole + mice / the whole house.

I don't think the plastic would be strong enough to withstand gnawing little buggers.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  00:15:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely not!

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  00:38:13  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
so best off with the kinda plastic tray with a metal barred box on top (the ones everyone uses)?

Owner of Renza Exotics - www.renzapets.co.uk
For all your Exotic & Domestic pet needs
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  00:45:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep i reckon so. You can get loads of sizes too. Although there are some completely plastic rodent cages out there.. So maybe your idea isnt too far wrong. Just those particular ones dont look very secure. I dont think they have lids!

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  13:08:39  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you are breeding then i would avoid anything barred. I used to breed mice. Kept a colony of breeding mice in a duna(top is barred) and had a house full of escapees. Also it was easy to leave the lid not quite shut. I would suggest a glass tank with a home made well fitting, heavy lid. Faun type cages are all too easy for mice to chew through.

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  13:55:15  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have 'plastic tray with barred lid' type cages, as long as you get specific 'mouse' ones with very narrow bars i've not had any problems but the 'hamster' ones have bigger gaps so i use them for adults only

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000