New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smurflittle
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  11:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey guys ive just took the water bowl out of my corns viv to change the water and there are tiny tiny white bugs underneath the bowl and some in the viv where it was, they are jumpy...almost like dog fleas but smaller and white. my corns only been in the viv for one week and i thorughly cleaned and disenfected the viv and everything in it. what could it be im really worried.

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  12:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like springtails, look them up on google.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  12:20:51  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What subsrate are you using? Do you use Aspen? Could possibly be aspen mites? I dont think they are harmful to the snakes [correct me if I am wrong] but they are a pain in the backside.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/

Edited by - gmac on 19/06/2011 14:44:59
Go to Top of Page

smurflittle
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  15:36:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi, thanks for replys... i dont use aspen its the bark ive got. really worried though
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  15:36:41  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you store your substrate in a garage or in a place that a bit damp it canbe exposed to spring tails. I recently had an outbreak of them and they infested a 20kg bag of aspen I stored in the garage. The garage got a bit damp and then got warm and I never sealed off the bag properly so it became a perfect breading ground for them.

If they are mostly IN (most likely dead and could look like dusty bits of substrate) and around the water bowl and not all over the snake, they are most likely spring tails. However, I have never known spring tails to jump. I only know them as being slow moving and not jumping. I know this may sound like a stupid question but are you sure they are jumping and your not loosing track of them since it is hard to keep a good focus on them since they are so small and can be blown and moved easily. Spring tails are not harmful but it probably means one of the wood items you have is not all that good. If it's a second hand viv stored in a not so great place in the back of a shop it could even be that or even, viv furniture.

Can you see any black ones? If not keep an eye out, and see if any of the current ones are more interested in the viv than the snake. If theres no black and they swam the water bowl it's spring tails, if you get black ones and the current white ones are all over the snake then it's mites. I hope that helps.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

smurflittle
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  15:50:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive had the bag of substrate for about a month and havnt sealed off the bag, so possibly that. im assuming then that i will need to remove everything and disenfect again and fresh substrate from new bag. i havnt seen them anywhere else in the viv or hides its just the water bowl. are they harmful to my snakie?, will i need to move it from viv immediatley ?
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  16:07:51  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No you don't need to move it immediately, I left my substrate in for a couple days and I only got rid of it as I hate bugs! Sounds very much like spring tails and they are only interested in eating wood and not anything with blood. I put the bag of my aspen with spring tails in an air tight container and contained to use it, the air tightness killed off all the bugs after a month. Long as the substrate isn't soggy or smell funny it should be fine to use again.

Go to Top of Page

smurflittle
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  16:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im going to change it definatley, have run out now so need to get some more anyway. also is aspen better than the bark?
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  16:29:56  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Down to personal preference I think, I prefer aspen as it is less prone to wood bugs and it's easier for snakes to burrow in and cheaper.

Go to Top of Page

smurflittle
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  17:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thankyou for the advice, my mind is at ease now :)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  22:24:29  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
because the orchid bark is damp it provides a great place for springtails to thrive and breed, aspen however is very dry so any bugs that are missed when cleaning out the viv won't be able to survive long

i actually have springtails in the Day geckos viv as 'bio active substrate'. they eat any gecko poo or shed skin that lands on the viv floor

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

smurflittle
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  23:30:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
eeeew but there horrible little things, makes me feel all itchy lol
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  07:55:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

because the orchid bark is damp it provides a great place for springtails to thrive and breed, aspen however is very dry so any bugs that are missed when cleaning out the viv won't be able to survive long

i actually have springtails in the Day geckos viv as 'bio active substrate'. they eat any gecko poo or shed skin that lands on the viv floor

Slightly off topic I know,but where did you get your springtails from? I've been told they are good to have in with millipedes,but have no clue where to get some lol!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  13:52:29  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
tbh i've no idea.............though i have a feeling it was from some bark i was given! they love the damp geckos viv!
if you email me your address i'll post you some in a pot lol

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2011 :  09:54:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

tbh i've no idea.............though i have a feeling it was from some bark i was given! they love the damp geckos viv!

Ooh,cheers for that (think this'll be the most bizarre delivery yet lol!). Will you want somat towards P n P? Think I've sent you an email.

Springtails do indeed jump. They were shown in a David Attenborough series in slow motion. They have a tail type thing tucked under their body and when they need to get away from anything they use this to propel themselves into the air.

0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Edited by - Mort13 on 21/06/2011 09:58:26
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2011 :  11:56:51  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

quote:

Ooh,cheers for that (think this'll be the most bizarre delivery yet lol!). Will you want somat towards P n P? Think I've sent you an email.

Springtails do indeed jump. They were shown in a David Attenborough series in slow motion. They have a tail type thing tucked under their body and when they need to get away from anything they use this to propel themselves into the air.

Oh that's instreating to know :) I must have had some very much near death then lol!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2011 :  13:27:27  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

not got an email and i've checked all my accounts lol
best off emailing me on rapunzel249[at]hotmail.com as that's the one i regularly check
and don't worry about the p&p

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2011 :  10:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh God knows where that email went then lol! Will try again. Cheers.

1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000