Concerns for my Corn Snake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Serpentor777
Snake Mite

21 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  03:16:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a few concerns which I'll be listing down below. If any of ya'll could help me figure out if there's anything wrong with him, then it will be greatly appreaciated. (Also, I'll refer to my corn as Apophis, since thats what I named him.)

1. He is not moving or squirming around as much when I handle him, and at times he stays completely still, then proceeds to move around. I've only had him for 4 days (yeah, I kind of broke the rule of letting him settle in, but Considering he took a meal without regurgitating it or refusing it on his second day, I thought he had settled in.)

2. Apophis is not active as much in his cage, even at night ( I use heat bulbs, so I'm using a night light that gives off a bluish glow, is this the problem?). I keep him in a 20 gallon tank, but I have provided enough hides (including foliage and branches so he can hide among, also note he is around 12 inches).

My guess is is that he is stressed, but given that Apophis is my first snake, I don't know :(.

Serpentor777
Snake Mite

21 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  03:31:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sorry for posting this in the wrong board, I didn't notice the one for stuff like this. Also sorry for double posting, but my iPhone wont let me edit the other one.
Go to Top of Page

Ryan_q8
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  03:36:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(only a new keeper myself) but general advice from what i have seen is that is that he is going to stay still and not move around from fear, making sure ur not a predator and then will make a move. but would suggest let him settle especially after a feed without handling.
But also would wait for more experienced advise....
Go to Top of Page

Kittypuss85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  06:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just reading your post, you say he's not doing this 'as much' or that 'as much' and am wondering what you are comparing it to ; I mean you've had him 2 days and 2 of those were non handling days as he'd been fed, so 'as much' as what?
I'm a newbie too, but having read a fair bit on here, snakes are opportunist, if there is food they will eat it. Leave him alone, let him settle in and I'm sure he'll be just fine.
:-)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  09:11:30  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you've hit the nail on the head with saying 'he's stressed' so do something about it!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  09:44:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he may also not like his 'big' home, wait until he's settled but a lot of the little snakies feel too stressed in a large tank, and prefer a smaller faun, i've only just moved my boy out of his faun into a 2ft viv and he measures 24", at 12 he was in a faun, just a thought, see how he settles but you might want to consider putting him something smaller till he grows a bit - oh and the faun used to sit inside the viv to save space

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  13:33:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds exactly like a new snake in a new house and new things going on would react. Give him some space and time to settle down, I'm not sure why so many people insist on feeding them the second they get them home, but anyway just give him a week to settle in, change his water bowl and clean up any poo but other than that, leave him well alone.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  15:18:40  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I handled my new snake after 4 days, like yourself, and she was flighty but settled down while I was handling her, I fed her 5 days after I got her which she took with no probs. Now, 2 months on and her now being 5 months old she is a grand little snake and seems to like being handled as she's really nosy, she's never bitten, tail rattled nor musked on me however, she is still a little flighty at times.

Give him time to settle into his new home and let him adjust to all the new smells, sights, sounds (he'll feel the vibrations) and I'm sure he will be just fine.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.

Edited by - Ailsa on 19/06/2011 15:19:58
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  10:40:27  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'd start again from scratch. Leave him for 7 days to settle in. Also leave him for 48 hours after feeding to digest his meal (that's one rule you must follow) you don't want to cause a regurge. I know it's difficult when you really want to be getting to know your snake but it is worth it in the long run for the snake.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Serpentor777
Snake Mite

21 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  08:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ Heh, I'm actually forced to do that now since Apophis escaped from his vivarium a couple of days ago. I just found him today thanks to God, so I'm going to wait awhile before I interact or feed him to let him settle in... Again...
It shouldn't bother him much that he won't be eating another week right? I fed him last week, and today was supposed to be his second feeding but considering that I'm leaving him alone for a whole week again, that won't be happening.
I'm also keeping him in the 20 gallon tank, he has more than enough hides to feel secure, and it's not like in the wild God has every little hatchling in a 10 gallon tank anyways.

~ Thanks for all the advice guys!
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  09:52:56  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What is the dimensions of this tanks? Gallons could be anything you see. It also depends on the size of your snake, a hatchling may still not feel secure even with enough hides and the reason they cope in the wild is because it's the wild, you cannot simiulate their natural enviroment with every deatil with leaves, holes in the ground, lots, bushes, smell ect. If you cover the tanks side and back so only the front is visable if you haven't already done so, that will make him feel a bit more secure.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Serpentor777
Snake Mite

21 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  17:33:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ I see what you mean. I don't remember the dimensions at all since I bought it six years ago for a chameleon. I'll edit this post with the dimensions once I check the box (if its still there that is, but it probably is since my dad is one of those, "Keep it just in case," people).

Also, still not sure if my corn snake will be fine another week without a meal. He is still a hatchling (about 1 foot long) so I'm afraid he'll starve.
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  18:02:29  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He won't starve, snakes can go a long time without feeding. Even little hatchies can go without for longer than you'd imagine.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000