New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EmmaJayne
Hatchling

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  15:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today i went out to a reptile shop (not my local one, but it's bigger than my local so i thought i'd see what they had in there) and i was looking around and i saw a REALLY thin corn snake. It was an adult, im not sure how big exactly, but it's spine was so prominant that the snake was actually triangular rather than the rounded loaf of bread shape they're supposed to be. And the hatchlings were kept in clear plastic tubs without any hides or anything to hide in. They were literally just empty apart from a small water bowl each, and the snake were just curled up in the corners of their tubs looking a bit sorry for themselves.
And i don't know much about leopard geckos, but there was one that was lying on it's front with its front legs out behind it. I dont know of this is normal for leopard geckos but it didn't look right.

My local reptile shop has said that they don't have a very good reputation but i wanted to have a look round myself and i dont think i'll be going back there.

0.0.1 Leopard Gecko - Toby
1.0.0 Crested Gecko - Hector
0.0.1 Banded Cali King - Murray
1.0.0 Pastel Dwarf Boa - Dave
1.0.0 Black Long Haired Cat - Pixie
0.1.0 Grey Tabby Cat - Ariel
2.0.0 Rats - Gizmo and Rocky R.I.P

Soon to come:
1.0.0 Very Cute Puppy - Luka

"Humans are so interesting. In this world of infinate wonders
they have managed to invent boredom" ---- Terry Pratchet

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  15:55:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you ask them about the thin snake, is it fasting or are they caring for a rescued snake. You can't judge from 1 visit and no info, my local shop had a very sickly looking Boa and to look you'd think that's not good but then you here that the owner rescued her and has spent hundreds of pounds nursing her back to health, not to mention the hassle of quarantining 1 snake in a snake shop. That Boa is stunning now, and I am so tempted to buy her.

Gecko's sprawl when they lay down, its just comfy I think as their legs face that way.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

EmmaJayne
Hatchling

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  16:31:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats a good point, i didn't ask but i have heard of people buying sickly animals from there in the past. I might go back there at some point and ask about it if it's still there.

EDIT:

I noticed that they also dont seem to use bulb guards.

0.0.1 Leopard Gecko - Toby
1.0.0 Crested Gecko - Hector
0.0.1 Banded Cali King - Murray
1.0.0 Pastel Dwarf Boa - Dave
1.0.0 Black Long Haired Cat - Pixie
0.1.0 Grey Tabby Cat - Ariel
2.0.0 Rats - Gizmo and Rocky R.I.P

Soon to come:
1.0.0 Very Cute Puppy - Luka

"Humans are so interesting. In this world of infinate wonders
they have managed to invent boredom" ---- Terry Pratchet

Edited by - EmmaJayne on 23/06/2011 21:38:06
Go to Top of Page

stuart619
Hatchling

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  13:08:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd agree with lotabob. There is so much that could have happened which we don't know about. Maybe if everything you guess is true and the shop is neglectful you could speak to the owner. It maybe that they aren’t educated on proper care and a bit of advice may be exactly what they need.

By not doing anything, the problem will only persist at least if you say something and it falls on deaf ears you will know for sure if the shop is neglectful and then more advice can be given.

Go to Top of Page

ntbryenton-rochard
Hatchling

165 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  15:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have come across a few pets shops like that. I went to one a couple of weeks ago. There was nothing in the vivs apart from waters bowls. The baby snakes were all stacked up in boxes with no heating, hides or anything! Several years ago I went to a reptile shop that sold other animals too and I bought a kitten. It soon became clear that the kitten was unwell so I took it to an RSPCA clinc. The kitten had this highly contagious disease (I can't remember what she had as it was years ago), they asked me where I got her from and the shop was closed down promptly after! It makes me so angry that shops get away with treating animals badly!

1.2.0 kids (Joshua-14, Katie-6 Holly-3)
1.0.0 Corn snake (Amazon-16 months)
1.0.0 Whites tree frog (Froggy-unknown age but owned for 3 years)
0.1.0 Dog (Sophie-11 years)
1.0.0 Cat (Charlie-9 years)
1.0.0 Guineapig (Rox-8 months)
0.1.0 Rabbit (Snowball-3 years)
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  17:31:24  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
unfortunately the bad shops(there are a few good ones out there) its the £££££ that matter not the animals care or who/how they will be kept afterwards. Once they have left the shop they couldnt care if the animal will be cared for and the owner is armed with the right info. They give animals as little as possible 2 increase their profit. Why spend ££££ feeding an animals properly or ££££ on electric for corect temps if it eats in to their profit. Its disgusting. There are some good shops out there, who do actually care. Yes it is their bread and butter but these animals should not be made to suffer because of it....As i do not know this shop and the circumstanses around the snake, difficult to comment but in general it really gets to me

Sorry rant over!!!

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  22:55:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My petshop is the best! http://www.finsfurnfeathers.ie/petshop-services.aspx

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000