Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HERICUS
Hatchling

United Kingdom
106 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  11:16:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey guys,
whats the general thoughts on lighting for your snake?
are there any benefits for the snake?
i think a blue uv kinda light would look nice at night but will it effect the snakes mood or anything like that?
i think read somewhere that they could benefit from a light that mimicks sunlight for vitamin d??

any help would be appreciated!
cheers.

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  11:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
theres no real benefit from UV lighting for the snake, However I use blue LED's in my boas viv just to see inside it at night.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  11:19:51  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
they need a day/night cycle and the number of daylight hours is one factor that lets them know which time of year it is
the daylight hours can be manipulated for different reasons eg. more daylight hours earlier in the year to try and convince them it's spring earlier than it is or through winter maintaining at least a 12hr/12hr cycle to convince them it's not winter and keep them feeding

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  21:46:49  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have a light in my viv. but purely for ease of veiwing. Just a normal house hold energy saving bulb.

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  22:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just remember any bulb needs to be guarded, even energy saving ones, snakes can squeze pretty hard and could break a bulb. LEDS are good as they are normally encased in plastic and safe and they don't generate heat of any significance.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  09:59:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
depends on the type of viv you have and lighting you want - a well known pet shop store does lighting for fish tanks that has suckers on the side - they're only small but give enough light and you can fix several up at the same time - i haven't yet used them in the viv but do have them in the fish tank, the bulbs are LED and all protected in plastic casings etc. Am considering getting some for night time viewing and they can be turned on and off

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

weasle1uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  19:45:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have done something like this with Gizmo's viv
Thread and pics HERE
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  20:01:18  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
or look here at what i did http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15336

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000