Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rubberbiscuit
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  20:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just seen Kiora staring at me from his viv!:) and that will be his monthly appearance over and done with now unfortunately. After a few months Ive come to the decision that he probably wants to be left alone rather then handled lots.:( Ive given him tons of cover in his viv but he still hides away and when you pick him up he just tries to slither away. Its not a taming issue either coz he is very placid and Ive handled him in shed (even feed him in shed once without realiesing!!)and even then he doesnt make a fuss.....just doesnt seem to want to be handled.
Have to admit it has put me off of Corn Snakes rather..:(

On an unrelated note i just got my new Kenyan Sand Boa out to feed for the first time and I cant believe how weird big bodied snakes feel!! I thought as he was so round he would feel solid not all wibbly with muscle contractions!!LOL

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  20:16:38  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my corns do the same thing. Its just what corns do. xxx Dont be put off! xxx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

rubberbiscuit
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  20:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why on earth do people keep getting them then??
Ive just got this image of someone with rows of empty looking vivs and RUBs!!LOL
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  20:38:40  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They tend to come out alot at night. When they do come out I find it is awesome to watch

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  20:40:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rubberbiscuit

Why on earth do people keep getting them then??
Ive just got this image of someone with rows of empty looking vivs and RUBs!!LOL

You just imagined my living room.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  21:03:16  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Same. One partitioned viv, a terrarium and a rub. Apparently 4 snakes as well, buy you'd never flippin' know!!! lol

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  21:07:34  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's one of the good things about breeding season. At one point people could actually see 3 corns in my viv stack instead of just lots of bit of wood and fake plants. Iactually enjoy playing the 'spot the snake game'. And most of mine do come out, some more than others. and I tend to catch them when i go up to bed and turn the light on and they are all out and about.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  21:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
him slithering away is normal for a corn snake - snakes tend to tolerate being handling rather than enjoying it, don't let it put you off, out of my 6 I can tell you Mont and Lucien will stick their heads out if you make some noise near their vivs but the others couldn't give a toss!!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

rubberbiscuit
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  22:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You just imagined my living room.

You mean I could save myself some money by just getting the vivs and telling everyone that there are actually snakes in them??

I shall have to keep looking out for him then....maybe if i sneak downstairs at about 4am I will catch him up and out!!
Go to Top of Page

Jackk94
Hatchling

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  22:40:59  Show Profile  Click to see Jackk94's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i thought mine hid away a lot but hearing this stories she's out loads!
Go to Top of Page

Only1Nitro
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  10:03:50  Show Profile  Visit Only1Nitro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mine all come out at night its fun to watch

Male Charcoal = Sterling
Female Carolina = Fofo
Female Butter = Amarelo
12 Eggs
Go to Top of Page

Rake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
200 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  10:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mines the same its a corn thing only out at night other wise the tank just looks like a miniature garden, i even flick the light on at night and mine looks all shocked like hes been caught out

Go to Top of Page

Lucy1012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  12:31:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 5 empty looking rubs and an empty looking viv... Just go in and get him, if he truly wants to be left alone he will hiss, rattle his tail and possibly take it out on your little finger ;-)

0.0.1 Amel Corn CB10 Luna
1.0.0 Orchid Corn CB08 Mizuki
0.1.0 Hypo Corn CB10 Hala
0.1.0 Normal het lav CB09 Neona
1.2.0 Normal Royals, Jericho, Eclipse and Monday

and various other critters including, 2 dogs, 2 cats, a hamster, a gerbil, 3 fish, 1 husband and 3 daughters :-)
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  15:12:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vin's been hiding away a lot recently and I assumed he just wanted some peace but I switched him back to aspen substrate rather than kitchen roll and he's been out lots more! I'm guessing that he feels a bit more insecure on kitchen roll for some reason...strange but true!

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  16:27:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't let it put you off corns,they are all different.
Loki is a shy secretive snake,but Falcor is a little exhibitionist! I come down every morning to him peeping at me through the hole in his wood and he's out and about dancing up the glass every evening.
I've not long brought Sabai out of hiding but he's been out a lot in the evenings too.
Lol at your wibbly sand boa!!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

meggi
Hatchling

United Kingdom
321 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  22:31:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea, when you buy a snake you have to realise they're all different. Some want to be friends others just want to be left alone - just like people
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  22:49:40  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
maybe if i sneak downstairs at about 4am I will catch him up and out!!

Corn snakes are nocturnal so that is when they will be at the most active, if his viv is too big then he will hide away also.

There arent ANY snakes that want to be handled, if you want to handle your snake then the only way its gonna happen is getting him out yourself. if you do this regular then the snake will become used to it and appear to want to be handled more. its just about the confidence to put you hand in and spend 10 mins handling him :D
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2011 :  00:37:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Corn snakes are actually crepuscular, meaning they are active in twilight (dusk & dawn). You can tell primarily when a reptile is active by their eyes, round pupils = less sensitive to light so out in the day, slit pupils = so sensitive to light they have to practically close in daylight so they are active at night.

Spot is active mainly on an evening as the sun sets but I also see him out on a morning, he is my most active snake but its probably only a few hours in the day he is active, my royal doesn't move though I hear him through the night, he is nocturnal, and the Boa is always just sitting with her head out of the hide and comes to investigate any movement but holds perfectly still in preparation for an ambush most of the time.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 17/06/2011 00:38:35
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2011 :  11:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awh poor you! Mine are always out and about. Specially the day or two before feeding.

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
357 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  18:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
phoenix does not do much either, only seem to see her move when i walk back into my room then she will freeze and slowly backup into her hide while watching me. only had her 2 weeks tho so probly still not used to me just yet

1.0.0 baird's rat snake, jeff 1.0.0 royal, derek 1.0.0 royal, frank 0.1.0 dog jenny 1.0.0 bull snake, ivan 0.1.0 bull snake, mavis 0.1.0 chilean rose, Bernadette 1.0.0 hognose, chuck 1.0.0 BCI, william

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
facebook(mention the forum) http://www.facebook.com/?sk=nf#!/profile.php?id=623879643

to live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else
Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  18:51:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ernest does the "you 'ent seen me - right " slow back up routine - its very cute.

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000