Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vixyg
Hatchling

United Kingdom
259 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  19:24:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey All!

Well I have just successfully completed my first ever snake feed. I didnt think it would be so easy to be honest! I reckon she was pretty hungry cos she came shooting out of her hide and struck straight for it. She wasnt letting go for anything so I have left her to it and will check on her in a while to make sure she has actually eaten it which im hoping she will of! If she hasnt eaten it what should i do? Should i leave it in there over night or should i take it out straight away and try a new one in a few days?

I know its a bit sad but im just so happy she came out for it so easily that i needed to share it with people who might understand how excited I am! Non snakey people just dont seem to get it lol

One more thing...how long roughly after she has eaten will she poo? and how long should i leave her after eating til i can handle her?

Thanks all x

0.1.0 miami corn (Chilli)
1.0.0 snow corn (Charlie)
1.0.0 cat (Sprout)
1.0.0 fiance (Matt)
1.0.0 Offspring (Jordan)

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  19:35:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It won't be there after about 5 minutes after the strike.

Depends when she last fed previously as to when the poo wil arrive byt normally 2-3 days after feeding, and allow 48 hours after feeding before handling.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 13/06/2011 19:36:54
Go to Top of Page

Vixyg
Hatchling

United Kingdom
259 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  19:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay success! I just checked back on her after 15 mins and i cant see mousy anywhere so i presume she has eaten it unless she has hidden it away somewhere but i dont think they do that do they??? Shes having a good mooch round her new hollow logs now which she seems very pleased with! Am i supposed to see a noticable bulge at all after she has eaten cos i cant see one at all? sorry for all the daft questions but like i said this is the first time ive ever fed a snake and just dont know what i should see or not see lol

1.0.0 cat (Sprout)
1.0.0 fiance (Matt)
1.0.0 Offspring (Jordan)
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  19:57:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In young ones you should see a bulge yes, In fully grown adults it's not so important I dont think :)
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  20:05:02  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
congrats on your 1st successful feed

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Vixyg
Hatchling

United Kingdom
259 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  20:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well shes not a baby, shes over 2 and a half years old and around 3ft in length and the person i bought her from has been feeding her 1 large mouse/weaner rat a week. I gave her a large mouse and it hasnt left any bulge at all. how do i know if she needs something bigger?

1.0.0 cat (Sprout)
1.0.0 fiance (Matt)
1.0.0 Offspring (Jordan)
Go to Top of Page

Vixyg
Hatchling

United Kingdom
259 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  20:09:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks mamma! Im a bit over happy that it went without hitch and even happier that she is out and about exploring properly now after her dinner and she doesnt hide the second she sees me so managed to get a few slightly better pics. they would be even better if my stoopid camera focus would work properly!

1.0.0 cat (Sprout)
1.0.0 fiance (Matt)
1.0.0 Offspring (Jordan)
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  20:47:18  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Your enthusiasm is lovely, totally understand it. I'm still besotted with mine after heaven knows how many feeding sessions!
lotabob answered your questions perfectly.
Your questions aren't daft, how will you learn anything if you don't ask? Keep them coming, the more we can help the better for you and your snake. And I bet there are some lurkers who read your questions and answers even if they dare not ask for themselves!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  22:31:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everybody here is fantasic at answering questions, they have been a great help to me, and even if i felt i was asking a daft question, i got loads of sensible replys!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  08:09:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well done !!! i was so nervous feeding Clyde for the first time my legs went to jelly - now its fascinating n pleasing whenever its teatime !!!!i,m glad everyone here has such infectious enthusiasm for their snakes !!

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  10:55:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh congrats on you first feed. Its both nervewracking and amazing the first time isn't it.
Best of it is that from then onwards the nerves go but its always as amazing as the first time.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

stuart619
Hatchling

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  13:19:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vixyg

well shes not a baby, shes over 2 and a half years old and around 3ft in length and the person i bought her from has been feeding her 1 large mouse/weaner rat a week. I gave her a large mouse and it hasnt left any bulge at all. how do i know if she needs something bigger?

First of all well done... its always good to get the first feed over with. I noticed that she is eating a large mouse or weaner rat. I would advise that you stick to the mice rather than the rats. Nutritionally speaking, I heard that rats can cause your corn to get too fat leading to health problems. I am sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong though

Go to Top of Page

Vixyg
Hatchling

United Kingdom
259 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  16:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Stuart, Its the first time ive fed her and havent bought any rats just mice, its just what her previous owner told me was that sometimes she had weaner rats, ive also read that the best nutrition for them comes from mice so i will stick to that for the time being.

Thanks everyone for being so patient with my over enthusiasm! :o)

1.0.0 cat (Sprout)
1.0.0 fiance (Matt)
1.0.0 Offspring (Jordan)
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  17:12:00  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You can never be over enthusiastic when it comes to pets....Think my friends have got used to it now, that the topic of coversation will be something pet related. lol.

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000