Very snappy little snake.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joker
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  19:37:56  Show Profile  Click to see Joker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Following the tragic loss of my first snake, a beautiful little corn, I've bought myself another little one to keep me company. He/she (not sure yet) has no morph as far as I'm aware, just brown with dark red patches.

Unfortunately, despite being in my old snake's viv (which she was always fine in) and and having had time to settle in, they won't let me get close. They're very bitey, and goes for me as soon as they sees my hand, and is pretty relentless even if I wear gloves and persevere. They weren't like this in the shop, or on the day I bought them, and to be perfectly honest, it's gotten me very down - I'm scared that this conflict is going to lead to me never loving the new snake as much as my old lost snake.

Any advice, guys? I've put a shirt of mine in their viv to try and get them used to my scent, but no luck yet.

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  19:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you give some more info about the snake (age etc) and your setup. Its likely its a hatchling, and thats just what they are like until they get used to been handled. Also how long have you had it, they need to settle in as moving is stressful, also might be due to shed which also makes them grumpy.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Joker
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  19:48:37  Show Profile  Click to see Joker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The snake is ten months old, not a hatchling. They live in a viv with a heat mat at one end, a warm and cool hide, and a light for viewing - like I said, another snake lived in there quite happily before.
They were given 4 days to settle in, which I assumed would be enough. I haven't noticed any colour fading or cloudy eyes, which is why I assumed it wasn't due to a shed.

It's quite upsetting, as my previous snake was okay to be handled from day 1, and never tried to bite. Sorry if I sound a bit panicky here, but I don't want to be 'put off' the little guy cos of this.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  19:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It might not have been handled a lot before now, I'm afraid there is no quick fix, patience, and persistence should in time calm it down. Once they are up they are usually calm anyway, just be quick and avoid the sharp end.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  20:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You said it all in your title- very snappy *little* snake. Little snakes must be defensive to protect them from big predators- us.

Provide with a smaller setup if need be, plenty of hiding places, foliage and privacy, and leave it a while longer to settle.

And remember, you are scaring it much more than it is scaring you.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Joker
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  20:23:42  Show Profile  Click to see Joker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'm just expecting too much from the little guy because my old snake was so very docile and gentle. And hey, I'm proud of them for having such a strong bite at such a young age, felt it through a leather glove!
Thanks for the advice - I'll leave the shirt in for a while, take it slow, maybe just bear a few bites and hold them for a while to see if it helps!
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  20:31:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You sure its a corn snake, lol.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Joker
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  20:42:33  Show Profile  Click to see Joker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hehe yeah, I'm sure he's a corn, he's just a tough little bugger! He can't break the skin, but he's putting some force behind those bites, which is actually pretty damn cute.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  20:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a lovely little character. I bet he's a great feeder.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  21:19:00  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Keep going and just give him more time. It takes some longer than others to settle. He may not have been handled much before coming to you.....

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  21:57:14  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It might be better to leave him a few more days to settle in. just keep with it and im sure he will settle down for you.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  14:32:06  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As the guys above have said, give him some more time to get used to his surroundings. Make sure he has plenty of hides and places to go in the viv.
And most importantly patience patience patience, patience with yourself and patience with your snake. Zero our Blizzard was snappy from day one and still has his moments now and again! Its taken a while to calm him down.

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

Joker
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  19:36:07  Show Profile  Click to see Joker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, I think I might have partly figured it out - today, s/he's going very pale around the face - looks like they must be getting ready to shed, and I've moved them into a new viv and environment at an inopportune time. Poor little sod - I'd be angry too. I'll see how they feel after their next shed, hopefully they'll have calmed right down.
Go to Top of Page

Joker
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  21:33:43  Show Profile  Click to see Joker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the double post fellas, just got a quick question - if the little snake bites me, and I hold my ground rather than pull away, is this more likely to stress it out, or calm it down? I've worked in a zoo before (believe it or not, with my disastrous handling of snakes...), and different animals seem to react differently to the whole backing off / standing ground thing. Or am I over thinking this? Haha.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  21:43:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it bites you hold still purely to avoid a mouth injury (to the snake), their teeth are quite delicate and should you rip a few out by pulling your hand away it can cause complications.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Joker
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  22:01:48  Show Profile  Click to see Joker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks, you've been a big help in this thread, I owe you one. What about the point I brought up, will it have any effect on his calmness? I feel like a bloody fool here, I've had reptiles since I was nine years old (leopard geckoes, then a bearded dragon), as well as pretty much every other pet under the sun, but I've never had so much trouble understanding an animal as I have had with this snake!
Go to Top of Page

tomp33
Egg

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  07:07:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do you keep saying them/they if there is only one??
Also, just keep handling it and it will get better slowly :)

1 Corn Snake- Snape
:)
Go to Top of Page

PureLoneWolf
Snake Mite

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  08:24:28  Show Profile  Visit PureLoneWolf's Homepage  Click to see PureLoneWolf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomp33

Why do you keep saying them/they if there is only one??
Also, just keep handling it and it will get better slowly :)

Because it is gender non-specific and is nicer than saying "it" all the time. The OP said that the snapster hasn't been sexed.

:)

0.0.1 Corn (Hongy)
Go to Top of Page

Joker
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  18:16:58  Show Profile  Click to see Joker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that's why - she appears to be female now, on closer inspection. Managed to handle her for five or ten minutes today before she got annoyed and struck - although with nowhere near as much vehemence as before. I'll keep it up, looks like I'm on the right tracks :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000