New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stuart619
Hatchling

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  19:58:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We should all be proud that through a good knowledge base, breeders and suppliers are now able to provide herps to a wider range of people who may not have been able to own them in years gone by.

The thing that I take issue is, is when pet shop owners who are all fine selling hamsters, goldfish and rabbits try their hand at supplying reptiles.

I went into a shop today who has recently started selling bearded dragons, geckos and iguanas. I noticed last week that one of the baby beardies was looking a bit off and I suggested seeing a vet and removing the substrate as it seemed to eat a wood chip when I was in there. I was going to suggest calcium sand but heard that it can cause compaction in babies so figured just paper towel would have been better.

Anyway I went back today and it was lifeless. I took it up on myself to open the viv and take it out to have a better look. It was really dehydrated and was really limp (at one stage I thought it was dead). I asked the owner how long it had been like this and he said a day or two. I hand watered it and it drank some then I asked the owner to provide me with some equipment and I’d take it for a few weeks and return it if it came around.

I received a call a few hours later telling me that it had died. I am really gutted that if I had gone in a few days earlier then I might have been able to get it out of there and back to health a bit quicker. I also noticed that the second beardie was cricket bitten on its back and crickets were still in the viv. I removed them whilst I was there.

I have no problems with people who want to start selling reptiles but come on at least get a basic knowledge first... RANT OVER THANKS FOR READING

EmmaJayne
Hatchling

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  20:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor beardy :(
This sort of thing makes me really angry!

0.0.1 Leopard Gecko - Toby
1.0.0 Crested Gecko - Hector
0.0.1 Banded Cali King - Murray
1.0.0 Pastel Dwarf Boa - Dave
1.0.0 Black Long Haired Cat - Pixie
0.1.0 Grey Tabby Cat - Ariel
2.0.0 Rats - Gizmo and Rocky R.I.P

Soon to come:
1.0.0 Very Cute Puppy - Luka

"Humans are so interesting. In this world of infinate wonders
they have managed to invent boredom" ---- Terry Pratchet
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  20:41:43  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Poor little thing. You could report the shop to the council as they are the ones that issue pet licences. It is such a shame that people dont do their research before attempting to even keep any animal let alone sell them and advise other people on their care. The problem is beardies and some hatchling snakes are so common that it is very easy for pet shops to get hold of them and make a profit on them.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Only1Nitro
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  20:58:34  Show Profile  Visit Only1Nitro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
is there a separate licence or is it one for all (except DWA) when it comes to these pet licences?

Male Charcoal = Sterling
Female Carolina = Fofo
Female Butter = Amarelo
12 Eggs
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  21:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats awful :(

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

animalcrazy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  21:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rip little beardie. There should be tighter regulations on these types of places and regular checks by qualified inspectors as this sadly seems to happen quite a bit.

Go to Top of Page

DJRenegade
Egg

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  21:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These guys call themselves pros >:( i did around 2 years of research before even getting a hatchling, just so id know how to care for it (im still learning to this day)

poor little beardy :(

Id report them! Where r u from? If it was Huddersfield id go in and ask for a job lol!

1.0.0 Corn
0.1.0 Boa
Go to Top of Page

stuart619
Hatchling

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  22:13:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was on the Wirral. I live in Liverpool but go there for my mice and rats.

I know the guy means well but needs educating. I told him that he should have ensured he was fully capable of dealing with all scenarios before he took herps on.

I have his mobile number and he has mine and I told him that he can call me day or night if he has any problems he needs help on. I am hoping that he will accept an invition to the wirral herp society next month. We could really educate him and hopefully make sure no other animals have to suffer.

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  22:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good on you for at least trying to save it, a lot wouldnt.

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  07:11:58  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I really admire you stuart for trying to help educate this guy rather than going in all guns blazing, ranting and raving at him. If he is willing to learn more about reps so he can care for them properly and so he can educate the people he sells them to then that will be a shop to go to in the future. He may have made a mistake taking them on without being fully prepared but he can learn and I really hope he will.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

stuart619
Hatchling

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  08:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. I was really but figured that if I burned my bridges with him then that would only put the animals in more danger as I couldn't offer help.

I think I am going to buy my mice in smaller quantities so I can pop in weekly and see how he is getting on. Also I think that he could do with a few care sheets to give to the customers and read himself so I'll get a few to him.

I decided whilst I was in there to buy the leopard gecko from him. It seemed in good health but the setup was less than perfect so he'll be coming home with me next week

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  09:38:38  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You have done great. Hopefully he is willing to accept your help to educate himself more on reptiles etc xxx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  12:15:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are too many pet shops around like that
I went to one a while back (that used to be very nice, but reptile free about 10 years ago!) and it wasnt just the reptiles that were in bad condition...
finches were in bare cages with no water that i could see. Most were sat on the floor looking very poofy and tired.
A hairless rat alone in a little cage kept by the drafty door
There was a hatchling leopard gecko with a massive water bowl literally taking up half the viv; no meat mat or lights or any heating at all
Adult beardies in pairs in 18" completly bare vivs, with toes and tail tips missing
Several baby king snakes (!!!) kept together in the same little faunarium
Adult corns in bare cages; no hides, water or even substrate!

and as sad as it is to see the animals in such sorry states, i refuse to buy from places like that... better them losing business than gaining.

Congrats on the new leo
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  13:13:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stuart, I like your way of dealing with this situation, it is maddening that a beardie had to die but I think in a way it might just be the sign that he wasn't caring from them correctly and along with your educating like you say if he is serious about making reptiles a part of his stock he will take on board, make the changes and come out the other side a better shop for all involved, sometimes just boycotting a shop leaves newbies vulnerable and doesn't actually stop the cruelty. Good on you, and congrats on the gecko acquisition.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

stuart619
Hatchling

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  12:16:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I can't wait to get my leo. I didn't think that I would have a gecko in my collection but I am sure most people on here never figured that they would have the collection they have.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000