New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  00:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feeding Sanke is becoming a fun part of the week. After several failures and hiccups I've got the routine down but she is still the eventful feeder of my pack. I feed in a separate tub (though that's changing from now on) and she knows as soon as I get her out its dinner time, she must smell it in the air and then as the wrestlers say, 'its on!'

She is already S'ing up tongue going mad as I'm placing her in the feeding tub, feeding her is like sticking your hang out infront of a moving train, she strikes with the force of a Tyson punch. With her mouth full she is safe but as soon as she swallows down the rat she's up and ready to strike at ANYTHING that moves and I do mean anything. I got a bit over confident with her tonight and got a barrage of strikes for my trouble, lol. I can't possibly plan to feed outside the viv when she gets bigger so as said that's the last time in a tub.

You've got love them but you have to appreciate their temperament, I need to put her water bowl back but she is sat waiting for me so will do it in a bit lol.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  02:53:51  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the world of boas.
I still feed my little ones outside the viv, they will eventually end up being viv fed I have no doubt of that, but in the far future yet.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

animalcrazy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  08:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
loved reading your post :) Shame you can't get a video but it sounds like you need both hands while feeding her :)

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  09:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
at least yours is feeding
i cannot wait to see maya do some of this, but unfortunatly still doesn't look like shes guna do it anytime soon

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  09:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol,it sounds like you're having some fun with her. Or maybe its Sanke having fun with you!!

Hope Maya starts feeding for you soon reptiledanny.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  12:00:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

Lol,it sounds like you're having some fun with her. Or maybe its Sanke having fun with you!!

Hope Maya starts feeding for you soon reptiledanny.

thanks mort, i am trying her again tonight, but i bet she plays silly beggers again and refuses, although she has been more active again this week, sitting with her head out the hide constantly now being nosey, so maybe

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  12:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahahha, feeding boas is sooo much fun. I love it. I jump everytime and know that putting my hand anywhere inside the tub after feeding is a big no no.

I feed all but my crawl cay, in their housing tubs and if I so much as look at them while they are eating I get hissed t or struck at. It's brilliant but I do wonder what it will be like when they are bigger!!
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  12:14:03  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My brb has only had a pop at me once from his feeding tub. Then again, he's only eaten twice! And the 2nd time his head was under some kitchen towel when I went to remove him! lol

Tbh I didn't realise feeding time might be an issue. Will be a bit more careful in future and sounds like as he grows he might just get room service instead! lol

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  18:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great post, adore Sanke, she's a stunner! Guess I'm going to need my wits about me when I get a boa!

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  19:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She was held today and she was fine, there is one bit that always unnerves me just a tiny bit, when you go in to pick her up she ALWAYS comes up to investigate you before you get to her, its quite cute but its always in the back of your mind, don't pull away if she gets you, lol. I think its a intelligence thing, the royal hides its head, the corn is a dope but the Boa investigates everything, she comes over to check what I'm doing if I'm not even in her RUB, I was cleaning out Duke last night and Sanke came up onto her foliage and sat watching me.

Boa's are great but yeah I think she act very differently to corns and royals etc.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  11:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to Hijack Bob.

Danny, if you are still having issues with feeding, let me know. You might have to start all over again with her, go back on to live for a little while. Email me.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  13:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks mike, but 3 weeks ago she started eating for me and has now had 4 feeds for me thank god, so everything seems fine, thanks any way mike, i was guna speak to you about it but luckily she started for me

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  13:43:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how often do u guys feed ur boas ? we were told a large adult mouse every 10 -14 days as Dex is two ? i have just looked back over this thread and it was def fun feeding him the other nite! we had to feed one of the corns and he must have smelt the baby mouse as he came up to the glass and stretched rite up trying to see what we were doing! he didnt hiss or strike tho . the thing that unnerves me is getting him out of the viv . the missus did it last time , and he was lovely , but shes gone away for five days and im gonaa wanna hold him soon.......

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  13:48:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was feeding maya every 5 days on 2 very small rat pups, just to get her going, and now she is on 2 rat pups every 7 days

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2011 :  13:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have Sanke on one fluffy, weekly. From everything I've read its nothing bigger than their girth. But I'd say at 2 years old a slightly longer gap between feeds is a good idea, though crawls will most likely be a bit different to my Hogg (I feed Sanke rats is the obvious one). Hogg by name hogg by nature.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  13:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hehe , well hes on an adult mouse so i think we will drop it to every 10 days , hes been so good with food atm , we wanna switch him to rats at some point soon when the adult mice have gone or running low i will pick a few up . what sized rub is sanke in ? and maya dan ? only we are gonna get one of gaz's baby crawl and im not sure on the rub size for him/ her and also a mat size to match ? we have awhile yet as they need to take their first few feeds etc x

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  18:52:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using an 18L rub but she has pretty much outgrown it, in the next 2-3 months she'll be moving into her 6 foot vivarium, its will be partitioned though and will slide the partition as she grows.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000