New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicole.x
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  01:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently got my first snake, whose roughly 5 months old - about 3 weeks ago. And although I have a bit of experience with snakes I haven't had any with snakes quite so small...
So I hoped that a few more experienced owners would let me know if I'm doing right/wrong by her and give any further advice that may be helpful?

Firstly I redid her little box earlier as she did seem too happy with it, and I wanted it to be more interesting for her (the picture above is roughly how it was before, except I was using kitchen roll):
I've used the kitchen roll as at the moment I'm feeding her in the box and don't want her ingesting aspen. But there is a pile in the corner as when I had aspen in her box she seemed to enjoy burrowing in it. The heat mat is under the box - covering about a third of the hide end.

She's only been in the new set up a few hours but she's moving around more than she was before and coiling in different places - which to me seems a good sign ?

secondly what's your opinion on the best way to start handling a young snake?
I was told she was use to being handled but as soon as she realises my hand is in the box (even if I'm changing her water ect at the other end of the box) she seems to become quit wary. She will let me stroke her but she often pulls her head back and becomes intimidated - I really don't want to scare her whilst I try to start handling her ?

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  01:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find that the snakes I've handled really don't like to be stroked - hatchlings particuarly. I usually just nab my snakey round the middle, calmly and confidently and then just let her explore my hands/arms/whatnot herself, occasionally guiding her away if she tries to climb into my hair/behing the cushions on the sofa etc.

zan x
Go to Top of Page

Nicole.x
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  01:51:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah the stroking thing is quite interesting - I thought it would be best to let her get used to me first so I wasn't pushing her too much...
When we went to get her I did try holding her and she did strike at me - turns out she was due to shed. But I don't want to scare her into thinking she has to bite ?
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  08:10:48  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome. The set up looks fine apart from I would probably add another hide in your cool end. Just stick a toilet roll tube in there so he has somewhere to hide that side. Also it looks like you have a dial type thermometer in there. They are not really very accurate, a digital probe thermometer would be much more accurate.

In regards to handling, I find it's betetr to just get in there and take hold. Just take it slow and steady but be confident. I usually run some of the substrate through my fingers first and then just steadily just pick them up somewhere in the middle being ready to support them with my other hand once they are out of the rub. If she strikes at you, just ignore it as much as you can and still get her out, just for a few minutes at a time. If you back off as soon as she hisses or strikes then she will realise that will make you leave her alone and she will do it even more. Good luck

BTW She looks lovely

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  09:27:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look fine.

My little ones are in 9L RUBs with kitchen roll a couple of loo roll tubes and a water bowl

I'm asuming you have your heatmat attached to a thermostat and have a digital thermometer to keep an eye on the warm end temps?

As for the handling side. I never had hatchies before and although my latest boy is a year old hes as small as a hatchling. I just lift up the kitchen roll which he usually hides under and pick him straight up, no messing.
Go to Top of Page

Nicole.x
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  17:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, thanks for the advice :)
I've put a toilet roll in next to her water bowl, with a bit of the aspen in - which see seems to like.
I'm not putting any digital stuff in the rub as she's a little Houdini and if tamper with things to put cables in I'm sure she'll escape ;L But once she's in her proper viv I'm going to add those :)
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  17:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how are you controlling and monitoring temps then??

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  17:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You don't need any digital stuff in the rub apart from a thin wire with a probe on the end from the thermometer. I don't drill any holes, the rub lid fits on fine over the wire.

You can have the thermostat probe on the heatmat outside the rub. Do you have a thermostat?
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  18:19:35  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just put the full thermometer into the tub then theres no need to drill/cut anything :)

The more hiding places the better, so empty lots of tubes or fake foliage is all good. If you find her holing up inside the tubes and can't get her out try cutting the tubes in half down the length so she can still hide under them but you can just lift them off her :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000