Scorpion nom times
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  20:00:55  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nearly forgot to get foods for these today, so thought I'd take some nice pics of them when they got their dinner as well.

Enjoy.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  20:30:03  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have to admit that scorpions are the only living things give me the creeps. But I do think it's amazing the way they glow under UV light.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  21:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seriously cool!
Go to Top of Page

jordy845
Hatchling

United Kingdom
191 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  22:26:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG THEY ARE BRIGHT BLUE! thats amazing :)

Jordy :3

0.1.0 Amel Corn - Chihiro R.I.P
1.0.0 Snow Corn - Sachi
0.1.0 Snow Corn - Stella
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  22:46:14  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
fab they always look much cooler under UV

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  23:35:04  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Cheers Guys and gals.
I love showing the pics of them under blacklight because of how they glow like that.
It's still under debate about long term affects of blacklight on scorpions so they only ever have it every so often for a minute or 2.
Normally they look like this:

Amazing what a lightbulb can do.

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  00:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very cool indeed Kehhlyr, loving the blacklight photos.

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  08:44:13  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what kinda scorpians are they? are they poisonous? can you touch them?

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  09:03:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what do you feed them? amazing blue under those lights

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  10:59:22  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
K them pics are so cool esp the ones with them glowing like that, I like them but not sure I'm brave enough to handle one lol.
Mamma they will be poisonous but as far as I know the rule with scorpians is the bigger the pincers the less poisonous they are but scorpians with smaller pincers are a lot more poisonous and some are leathal if you get stung (i think anyways lol). I think a sting from one of them would be somethin like a bee sting but am probably wrong lol.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.

Edited by - Ailsa on 27/05/2011 11:00:44
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  20:05:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Scorpions really are the tank of the arachnid world. I actually nearly bought one a month ago but decided I don't know wenough about them yet.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  20:16:49  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
great pics,do they eat all of it or just suck the goodness out?

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  17:33:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice pics - not a big fan but theres something interesting about them

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  20:02:42  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I do handle these if I want to, although not that often. There are no poisonous scorpions in the world, so these aren't either.
As for the foods, they love the crix, practically ignore small roachs. They seem to eat nearly all of it as well, I've not seen any remains of crix with guts sucked out yet.

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  20:49:38  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
K there are venomous/poisonous scorpians in the world, they all use their sting to imobilise their prey

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  22:30:27  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
These are your fairly common Emperor Scorpion, I believe a lot of reptile places have these, cracking little beasts they are.

quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

K there are venomous/poisonous scorpians in the world, they all use their sting to imobilise their prey

I was accurate in what i said when I answered a question.
The question was "are they poisonous?" so I answered it.
There are NO poisonous scorpions in the world.

It's also called being a pedant. :D

Go to Top of Page

Kat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
119 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2011 :  14:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mum was stung by a scorpion and spent two days in hospital. It left her with potassium poisoning which took about 3 weeks to clear, voniting and a heart rate over 250. Not good when you're 76. She was really lucky that she was stung on her ankle and not her neck - she was carrying hay on her shoulder and the scorpion fell out, landed on her foot and stung. Scorpy was very small (about 2") and very black. She lives in Spain in case anyone thinks UK hay is suddenly full of scorpions.

0.0.1 Amel (Omari)
1.1 Leopard Geckos (Tychondrious and Cleopatra)
0.2 Chocolate Labs (Millie and Lucy) 0.1 Weimaraner (Suzi)
1.0 Cat (Thomas)
2.1 Children plus 1.0 squatting nephew
no more Bovines
and 1.0 husband!
Go to Top of Page

Ruby Rose
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2011 :  15:51:28  Show Profile  Click to see Ruby Rose's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Scorpians have varying degrees of venom from bee/wasp sting like to fatal resulting in death. The general rule with scorpians is the bigger their pincers are the less powerful their venom - much like a bee/wasp sting HOWEVER, scorpians with very small pincers should be treated with extreme care as some have venom as leathal as any cobra/viper/rattle snake.

Ruby Rose Mitchell

Corns, Kings, Dwarf Boas, Emerald Tree Boas, Milks, Rats, Trinket Snakes, African House Snakes, Garter Snakes, Hoggies and green & red tree pythons. Not enough space to put pics of all my snakes
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2011 :  18:20:41  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
they are very pwettty not a scorp fan really but there sooo erm bright and blue :D still look cool normally though

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2011 :  20:19:50  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ruby Rose

Scorpians have varying degrees of venom from bee/wasp sting like to fatal resulting in death. The general rule with scorpians is the bigger their pincers are the less powerful their venom - much like a bee/wasp sting HOWEVER, scorpians with very small pincers should be treated with extreme care as some have venom as leathal as any cobra/viper/rattle snake.

This is how I should've answered the question about poisonous scorpions.
Due to the fact there are no poisonous scorpions, only venomous.
As I said in a post above, I was just being fussy. Apols to the person that asked the question.

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2011 :  11:16:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are so cool. I've been fascinated by these for some time since i took the cast from a baby one home with me years ago. I still have it too!
Funny really as I'm not keen on their cousins at all.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000