New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
200 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  16:24:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
earlier on today my corn actually tried to latch on to my finger, poor thing is so small he couldnt get a grip so i didnt feel a thing but i do have a explanation for it as he does enjoy coming out, as advised i cleanse and wash my hands with warm water and hand wash followed by dry anti bacterial hand gel b4 and after handling but on this occasion i had been handling raw pork chops (dinner ) so im thinking he could smell them, but my question is are all hand washes and gels safe to be used on your hands before handling snakey or are some best avoided ? and can some mask smells so we can avoid another rather funny pork chop episode

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  16:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like to use F10 hand gel, avaliable online and from good reptile shops! :)
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  16:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use cheapo poundland hand gel.

Still been bitten few times.
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  16:43:23  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
snakes hate the smell of alcohol hand gel and are probably put off biting you by it.

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  16:53:06  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got anti-bac hand gel. 50p from Morrisons.

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Edited by - ptmbradley on 23/05/2011 16:53:18
Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  17:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I usually wash my hands with my usual hand soap before handling, and use alcohol afterwards :)

zan x
Go to Top of Page

Rake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
200 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  18:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
am using cheap hand gel aswell lol thinking the smell of pork chops was just too good to resist, will have to give that f10 a go if it smells better than the stuff i use id be put off biting me

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  19:23:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always used the same brand of hand cleaner before handling, so the snakey would associate the smell with OK times and not mistake the smell for food times. It seemed to work - even though I now have a moody cow snakey :) she's a teenager I reckon!

zan x
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  19:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the f10 is allright, doesn't smell funny or taste funny (No, I dont eat it lol!)
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  23:31:05  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just use carex anti bac hand gel before and after handling my little hatchling

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  23:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use soap.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000