New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  21:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(I had the camera right by me so was able to catch this).

Right, now I have NEVER heard of this before in all my years. I start feeding Sanke, she goes bum first as usual.

The phone rings so i put the lid on the RUB and get caught on a 15 minute sales call from Three (I will find you!!!), I hear something I've never heard before, so glance over and oh my goodness gracious me, gasping away is Sanke and what I can only describe as her face distorted and spread 3 times wider than it should be.

I see a mouse tail, mouse boy parts back paws and the head!!! She is trying to eat this mouse sideways. Panic stations, woman on phone gets cut off, I get down and get a closer look (and a photo as I barely believe it myself).

I decided it is going to need turned before it can be swallowed so I grabbed her scooped her up, and using the round (not ink side) point of a pen I very gently push the head down while simultaniously gently pulling the tail, it shifts round slightly and she stopped gasping. The head starts to go down so i just gently held the tail for about a minute until it was in a more normal position and then let the tail go. She got it swallowed the lump is shorter and fatter than normal but poor thing, I don't think this Boa has a clue, its always bum first and now sideways. Anyone any ideas as to how I can encourage her to eat head first?

My nerves are shot to pieces after that. Where is the whiskey.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  21:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My hognose has eaten 2 mice sideways, folded the in the middle.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  21:56:45  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would've just left it be.
I've got pics somewhere of one of my kings doing the same, if they have problems they will force it back up. The crushing force internally for a snake is incredibly immense and the size of food they *could* conceivably swallow is larger than I thought as well.
But well done for having a go, the sounds they make are bizarre and freaky aren't they.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  22:02:10  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol! hey at least she eating my female hasnt touched food for a couple of months and the last time it was live food but finding it hard to source at the mo. nice pics by the way :)

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  22:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It scared the heck out of me, if it wasn't for the gasping i'd have let her get on with it. Maybe next time I will just leave it. It really didn't take any force at all to get it turned, she did all the swallowing I basically held the back end of the mouse while the head went down with a tiny bit of initial encouragement with the pen. I know they can swallow far larger than the reccommended size but that was incredible that she'd even got into that situation. She hissed at me a few times but if anything I saved her about 20 minutes of swallowing. I know she was due to go up a food size I'm using up the last 2 mediums I have, maybe this was her way of letting me know.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

animalcrazy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  22:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow no wonder your shaken by that. Amazing photos. Colin took his mouse tail first this time but swallowed it no problem, he makes little air escaping noises now and then when he eats, I usually leave him to it but watched him swallow this one to make sure it was ok.
They do worry is don't they!

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  22:56:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now the panic is over (I checked on her, she is absolutely fine) I am just looking at the photos totally amazed at how flexible the jaws really are. The oddest part is it does look like it could stretch even further than it is, though I really dont want to see how stretchy, that once is plenty enough for me. lol.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  18:00:11  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think i would of left her to it too,if she managed to get it in it probably would of been ok but can understand you panicing

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000