Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  21:48:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have three little snakes soon to be three bigger snakes and I priced up vivariums for them and it was just silly money so I decided to build my own. With a little inspiration and advice from Sandi on TRP I went to the doodle book, scratched up some ideas and then decided on a design I liked. Weeks have been spent working out measurements, building material, fixings, painting it, ventilation. And now its all planned out, I'm using 18mm MDF. I don't have much to show in the way of pictures yet, maybe next week I'll have apile of boards to show you but for now this is a scale mockup.

Thats a 6X2foot vivarium on top, 4 shelves as a cunning air gap (plus I've so much stuff I could do with the storage), and 2, 3X2foot vivariums on the bottom. (the bottom 2 are designed to allow the back to move back by almost an extra half a foot if required should I end up with a giant corn or royal).

I will update as the build comes along

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  21:55:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any idea how much it's going to cost you?

How do you mean the back moves back on the bottom vivs?
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  22:07:53  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
only thing id change is id have the 6x2 at the bottom for the simple reason what ever ya planing on having in there is going to be a fair size and id rather have them lower doing for handling an safety reasons

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  22:07:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its going to be built to the wall with a big space behind for airflow, I have air vents up each side and accross the top. I can if really necessary steal a bit of the airspace behind should Spot or Duke require any additional space. Its well ventillated but I wanted it attached to the wall as been over 5 foot tall, didn't want it going anywhere (if Sanke falls on me it will hurt, if the viv goes over with her I'm in trouble). The wood part that I'm getting sorted next week will be £64 (wood) + £15 (fixings) + £20 for delivery as most of the pieces won't fit in my Mini, lol. The glass will be free as I have a glazing company in the family and then I have set aside £200 to paint, seal and kit it out. Then I'll sell the 2 vivs I have, and altogether works out far cheaper.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  22:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

only thing id change is id have the 6x2 at the bottom for the simple reason what ever ya planing on having in there is going to be a fair size and id rather have them lower doing for handling an safety reasons

I originally had it on the bottom but the weight up top needed support so switched it over, I think if the 6 footer was at the bottom it would bow eventually. I'm a big tall fella, the floor of the viv would only be at about 3 1/2 - 4 feet max.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2011 :  20:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK I had a small redesign and as the build is about to get under way I thought I would show you the amended drawings. The plans are ready for the poor fella with a saw who will be cutting the 30 individual pieces out of 4 MDF sheets, the LED's are ordered with remote dimmer, vents, glass tracks, light fixings, ventillation fans, power backup & circuit breaker system, white base paint and yacht varnish is all ordered, my living room is going to turn into a storage room. Its an over the top super viv but I'm only going to build one so I may as well throw everything at it. Anyway design drawings. (I wont post the cut plan and build plans they aren't interesting even to me).

(It is worth mentioning that I have stolen a bit of height from both the Boa Viv and the royal/corn level and given it over to the crested gecko viv who selfishly likes height. I could not be ****d redoing the for show drawings, it was hard enough amending the cut diagrams)

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Edited by - lotabob on 20/07/2011 20:41:32
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2011 :  21:52:29  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
All looks fab. Cant wait to see pics of the finished thing....Trying to get brain storming for a similar stack for when the ickle ones are big enough. but luckily i have plenty of time to worry about that

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2011 :  00:25:33  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nice! wish i had it in me to build sum thing like that!
i think i should stick 2 cooking took me 2 and a half hours to put to gether me last viv lol! and it was a flat pack with instructions!! :)

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2011 :  00:37:11  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The plans look fantastic!

Can't wait to see it all done.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  20:40:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE

All the wood is finally collected and i have laid it out to check its all correct, it isn't one piece was the wrong size (my fault, stupid miscalculation but easy fixed) anyway took some pictures of it all laid out.

Note the sag in the roof piece due to the back board been missing, I got it cut 45mm too high, could kick myself but quick snip and its all good. The front top sills aren't in either to further strengthen the roof/floors as gravity wouldn't let them stay in position.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

eekamouse
Egg

71 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  23:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
really well thought out...nice design. hopefully the 6' stretch will not sag as it will inhibit the glass in the runners. are you going to run off a single stat or a more sophisticated system? also i guess the plan is to hide the LED strip behind the glass runners? thanks for posting...very inspirational!

edit: just seen the note about top sills....solid!

0.1.0 yorkshire terrier 'poppy'
0.0.1 cornsnake 'curly'

Edited by - eekamouse on 28/09/2011 23:04:26
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2011 :  00:20:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All individual thermostats, I just think for the extra cash its a small price, if the bulb blows in the viv with the probe the rest of the viv's turn into ovens. The 2 shelf type things are actually cupboards, and all stats are going to be in there with cut off switches for maintenance etc. The LED's are special, dimming, all individually controlled by remote (why not).

Oh as well as the sills I do still think the top vivarium is going to need something extra either another wood beam to strengthen it or maybe even a metal beam, but will see how it performs first, its not due to have a tenant for a while yet.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2011 :  00:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've inspired me to start planning my own viv stack, Lota, yours looks so fab! :D
I'd love to know where you'd be able to find runners to fit the 18mm mdf, as thats what I plan to use, also, does it need to be treated in any way before use? (sorry to thread hi-jack, I'm just excited :>)
Go to Top of Page

eekamouse
Egg

71 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2011 :  08:36:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi rob, take your point re the stats. you will love the LED's when they are in....i got the 3 colour dimming system and it is SUPERB! would the sill + brace not be enough on that long stretch? i had the same problem years ago. looked superb....long sweep...very lightweight and stylish..and i opted to do without a top sill because it looked so good. it was a 5' and we used conti board as it was before the days of MDF. anyway, 6 months later...yep....slightest sag and the glass wouldnt slide on the runners. keep posting the the progress..looking forward to seeing the finished job. looks like you have sparked the flame for potential viv architects!

nick

0.0.1 cornsnake 'curly'

Edited by - eekamouse on 29/09/2011 08:39:30
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  20:04:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night I ran out of steam, always good to have a helper though

And this evening job done, well by job done I mean all the big bits are in, only got to put the sills, vent holes, wire holes in, then 4 coats of white base and 3 coats a yacht varnish. then runners, fixings, glass and then job done lol, why do we start these things.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

cattNmo
Hatchling

182 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  21:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking really good :)

Three corns, a dog, a cat, 2 kids and a future husband, Yes its a MAD HOUSE in leicester area.
Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  22:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something tells me that your doggie did all the work, while you made the tea? :P
Just kidding, it looks fantastic. You may be tired now but once it's finished and your animals are settled, I'm sure you can bask in the glory of knowing you did it all yourself.

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Western Hognosed Snake
1.0.0 Albino California Kingsnake
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Wildtype, Hypo)
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  23:19:00  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have to say that looks fantastic mate great job i couldnt cut a piece of wood straight to save my life absolutely useless at carpentry/diy i am lol

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  23:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am happy to say I didnt cut the wood, B&Q did it (badly on some pieces that had to be redone) but everything else was me, lol.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  17:44:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LET THERE BE WHITE

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

eekamouse
Egg

71 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  22:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats looking magic rob. is the sill and back gonna hold the top ok?

0.0.1 cornsnake 'curly'
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000