Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alyson19802
Hatchling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  18:16:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got home to check on Bailey and there are about 10 eggs with her in her warm hide what do I do need advice Please

0.1.0 Snow Corn- Bailey
0.1.0 Bearded Dragon - Lola
1.0.0 Rabbit -Freckles
0.1.0 Cat - Cleo
0.0.2 Fish - Daisy & Alfie
1.1.0 Kids - Cían and Erin
1.0.0 - Very understanding hubby

Isoldael
Yearling

Netherlands
999 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  18:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has she been with males at any point? (could have been before you got her?). If she hasn't, it's safe to say nothing will hatch from those eggs, and you could just get rid of em :).

If she has, you'll have to decide on what you want to do. Can you care for 10 hatchlings or can you rehome them somewhere? If that's the case, you should get them into an incubator (make sure you keep the right side of the eggs up!) and make sure the temp and humidity are right.

~Iso

1.0 anery stripe (Nash)
1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
1.0 bloodred het amel, charcoal, hypo, stripe 50% phet anery, lavender (Kasumi)
0.1 grey background normal het amel (Saphira)
0.1 tessera het amel, anery, stripe (Lilith)
0.1 amel (Aurora)
0.1 hypo bloodred het anery, charcoal, stripe 50% phet amel, lavender (Mara)
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  18:20:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly, we need to ascertain whether or not the eggs are fertile- has she been with a male? Are the eggs plump and pearly white or yellowed and leathery?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alyson19802
Hatchling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  18:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are white and quiet plump looking could only have been since last night
she or he as he told me was in with 3 females so I am presuming if he got that wrong anything is possible should I take them out

0.1.0 Snow Corn- Bailey
1.0.0 Rabbit -Freckles
0.1.0 Cat - Cleo
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  18:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aye, if they look fertile and you believe you can look after all of the hatchlings (possibly for months and months) then get them into an incubator.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

Alyson19802
Hatchling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  18:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What will I use as an incubator

0.1.0 Snow Corn- Bailey
1.0.0 Rabbit -Freckles
0.1.0 Cat - Cleo
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  18:31:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a post I made a while back for someone else, should help you-

Firstly, stay calm. Leave her a period of time to ensure she has laid all the eggs- any still to come should be clearly visible as lumps towards her back end. If you disturb her too soon she may decide to hang onto them, which can cause problems.

Now, you have a few choices as to what to do with the eggs-
1. put them in the freezer. This will "kill" them. Don't worry, the unborn snakes are barely more than cells atm and will feel no pain.
2. take them to a local reptile shop and see of they will take them from you to incubate themselves
3. see if you can find a local keeper willing to have them and incubate them
(both the above options can result in total handing over of the eggs, you getting a share back or you getting all back- depends on the person)
4. incubate them yourselves.

Whatever you choose, when moving the eggs, make sure you don't turn them! This can cause the yolk to suffocate the embryo. If need be, mark the eggs very carefully with a pencil line so you know which is the right side up.

For making an incubator you will need-
a polystyrene box, available from fishmongers or nice reptile shops
a suitably sized heatmat, ideally to cover the base of the above box
a stat, on/off will do
digital thermometer
some sort of egg box with lid (tupperware is great) with a few small holes in the lid
a medium for the eggs- sphagnum moss or vermiculite, both from garden centers
hygrometer for measuring humidity (optional)

Put the mat into the bottom of the box.
Attach the stat, plug in, set to around 28c.
In goes thermometer.
Whilst heating up, half fill the egg box with the moss or vermiculite, which should be dampened, but not wet. When squeezed, it should not yield too many drips of water.
Put the eggs in the box, in a clump if need be, pushed slightly into the medium.
Put the lid on the box. If need be, stick the box into the viv on a heatmat for the time being. The incubator wants to be at around 28c with the lid ON- bear in mind that polystyrene is very insulating, and the temp inside the box may exceed by far what the stat dial says. Play around to get it spot on. Temp should not exceed 30c.
Humidity should be around 90%+
When happy, put the egg box into the incubator on something to raise it up- a cake rack, polystyrene blocks, whatever. You don't want the box directly on top of the mat. Put the lid on the incubator, take a deep breath and have a cup of tea.

Eggs will take around 60 days to hatch, sometimes more and sometimes less. Usually eggs take longer to hatch at lower temps. Once a week open the egg box to allow an exchange of air. The eggs should remain plump, white and the box should be showing condensation.If they are starting to dry and shrivel up its probably too dry. Wet the medium, not the eggs, with water at the same temp of the incubator- this will stop the embryos being shocked by cold water. If the eggs start to go mouldy its maybe too wet.

Offer the female something small to eat a few hours after she has finished laying. Offer a small food item more frequently than normal until she regains her lost condition.

Any probs, get back on here.

Good luck.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

Alyson19802
Hatchling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  18:36:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so so much Ill have a cuppa calm down and try and decide what to do thank you very much for your advice will they be ok until tom morning do u reckon ?

0.1.0 Snow Corn- Bailey
1.0.0 Rabbit -Freckles
0.1.0 Cat - Cleo
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  18:38:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they are in a relatively warm place then yes, they should be fine. Warm and humid is the key to keeping eggs happy! If need be then put them (right side up) in a box covered with some damp kitchen towel and put them over the heatmat.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

Alyson19802
Hatchling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  18:41:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks sexy bear lol Ill check on her in a while when I have put little one to bed and go from there

0.1.0 Snow Corn- Bailey
1.0.0 Rabbit -Freckles
0.1.0 Cat - Cleo
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  20:29:55  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if you're anywhere near Leeds or York i've got an incubator running and could pop them in with mine then have the resulting hatchies back (believe me, i don't want any more hatchies to deal with than i'm already expecting lol)

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Alyson19802
Hatchling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  21:14:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ginger I am in Reading so a bit of a trek lol my friend who has Boas is bring over a spare one she has thank you

a very unexpected surprise I can tell u I checked her a little while ago and there is at least 14 in there now
I am going to leave her until the morning dont want to stress her anymore

Think I may have to rename her now

0.1.0 Snow Corn- Bailey
1.0.0 Rabbit -Freckles
0.1.0 Cat - Cleo
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  21:28:37  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
and update your sig to read '0.1.0 Snow Corn' Bailey could still be a girls name though

congrats on the clutch and glad your friend could help out

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  21:30:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, what a surprise!

Good luck with the eggs. Wonder what the babies will be like!

Go to Top of Page

Alyson19802
Hatchling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  21:38:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am shocked and nervous to be honest I have read another post with someone else injust had a clutch ..... i will def do my research but I also know I need to be realistic about my ability to look after them
I am going to sleep on it let Bailey have the overnight and see what my friend recomends tom she has a lot more experience than me
out of intrest as she is a snow from memory she was in with two hpyo presuming that one is the daddy what would the morphs be
I really dont want to sound harsh but I dont want to add to the already overload of unwanted babies I feel awful writing that but if its kinder to put them in the freezer I just want to do whats best really
thanks everyone x

0.1.0 Snow Corn- Bailey
1.0.0 Rabbit -Freckles
0.1.0 Cat - Cleo
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  21:42:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
from snow x hypo all would be normal het for anery amel and hypo, However anery and amel being the most popular hets you may get some surprises from the clutch.

Go to Top of Page

Alyson19802
Hatchling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  21:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Gmac will sleep on it x

0.1.0 Snow Corn- Bailey
1.0.0 Rabbit -Freckles
0.1.0 Cat - Cleo
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  21:51:54  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alyson19802

I am shocked and nervous to be honest I have read another post with someone else injust had a clutch ..... i will def do my research but I also know I need to be realistic about my ability to look after them

that particular person was advised to split up her male and female corn months ago, amongst other advice regarding her poor husbandry. because she chose to ignore that advice and not improve how she looked after her snakes, that's why i came down on her like a ton of bricks. IMO if she can't properly look after the snakes that she already has there's no way she should hatch more poor unfortunate little snakes.

people that ask advice, take it on board and make changes to benefit them and their snakes are welcome here

Go to Top of Page

Alyson19802
Hatchling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  22:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks gingerpony I am crazy about Bailey and I am still learning hence all my posts
but I am very aware of whats needed care wise and want to be resposible and for once not just rush into it lol
I will keep u all updated but on a good note at least it explains her lack of intrest in food
It does make me think she is going to be a super snake as she has been so good in the last few weeks never even hissed at me bless her, Ithink I love her more now

0.1.0 Snow Corn- Bailey
1.0.0 Rabbit -Freckles
0.1.0 Cat - Cleo

Edited by - Alyson19802 on 19/05/2011 22:34:47
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  23:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alyson19802

I am going to sleep on it let Bailey have the overnight and see what my friend recomends tom she has a lot more experience than me
out of intrest as she is a snow from memory she was in with two hpyo presuming that one is the daddy what would the morphs be
I really dont want to sound harsh but I dont want to add to the already overload of unwanted babies I feel awful writing that but if its kinder to put them in the freezer I just want to do whats best really
thanks everyone x

If only more people were like you, makes a refreshing change to see someone who sees and understands the long term implications of these eggs. Whatever you decide to do will be the right decision because either way you will continue to care for your snake in the best way possible and should you incubate these eggs they will get the same treatment until you find them homes. Win win.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Alyson19802
Hatchling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  23:14:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers bob that has made me feel slightly less panicky
I am trying to not let my heart rule my head this time
sods law it would happen when u least expect it

0.1.0 Snow Corn- Bailey