Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sakurasnakes
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  15:20:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

Some help if you can please. After a surprise clutch of eggs being laid a few months ago, we have managed to successfully incubate and hatch ten healthy hatchlings :)

They are now about six weeks old, and have all had their first shed. After shedding we tried them with their first pinkies. Five fed straight off, five didn't. With those that didn't, we tried braining the pinkies but to no avail. We expected a few to not feed straight away so we left them a week or so and tried again. Another one fed, and of the five that fed the first time all but one took a second feed. Happy days!

However, we still have four that haven't yet fed and we're becoming a little concerned about this now. So, we have already tried braining, and we don't have a car to take them for a drive (a tip mentioned on another thread). I'm not sure what access we might be able to get to alternative prey items (some advice here would be useful). Any other advice or help that you can offer us would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Sakura.

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  15:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you considered using a Pinky press? I cant comment on them myself, but I hear some breeders use them to get slow starters going?

Edited by - Spreebok on 17/05/2011 15:32:24
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  15:30:05  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My babies last year didn't feed for three months! A car trip eventually got one to eat though, maybe even a little walk round with then in a darken tub may do it?

What eventually worked like a treat for me was to get empty small butter tubs, putting air holes in the top, blasting the pinky with a air dryer or warming them up and popping the pinky plus snake in the tub and then putting the tub in a dark, quite area and no peeking for like 5 hours. I put so many off their food for a while due to peeking :(

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  17:06:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
six weeks is not a problem, some of them may have had more yolk than others and may not be hungry yet, have you tried leaving the pinkies in overnight? try that with a towel over them so its dark. Tbh, the first few feeds i do i always leave overnight.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  19:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my aura didnt feed willingly for 5months and then it wasn't until around 8/9months old that she fed properly on hew own so don't panic!
i was told to try dipping the pinkie in tuna brine, and putting a small blob of marmite on it - didn't try this one myself but according to the breeder who told me it she has had a good success rate with it.. gross!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  22:09:25  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
boiled pinkies are good for getting hatchies going

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

sakurasnakes
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  22:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol - mouse, marmite and tuna brine?! Ugh. That's a new one on me, but hey, perhaps it's worth a go! Thanks to all who have replied so far. I always do leave the pinkies overnight, in a small container in the dark and don't check for 8-12 hours so any more advice would be gratefully received. Glad to hear that I don't need to be panicking at this stage as well, so thank you for that. Does anyone know if pinkie presses are widely available in local pet shops in the UK please?

Sakura xx
Go to Top of Page

sakurasnakes
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  22:12:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@eeji

When you say 'boiled', do you mean until they are completely cooked and, presumably, cooled?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000