Securing RUB lids what do you use that works well
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vivtastic
50% Warning

76 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  18:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondered whats the best pruduct for securing RUB lids so thety cannot be pushed of by a snake, i am thinking some sort of spring clip maybe but i cannot source them anywhere.

Kindest regards

Vivtastic

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  18:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The handles!

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  18:36:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

The handles!

If it's a non brand RUB it wont have handles.
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  18:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
branded RUBS have handles, other tubs do not have the handles, mine are secured by either bolts and wing nuts or cable ties.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  18:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the tubs without handles I would use bulldog clips, the big ones are good and strong, the wing nuts idea is a good one too, not so easy to knock off and you'd remember not securing them.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

vivtastic
50% Warning

76 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  19:07:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wing nuts sound like a good idea and as lotabob says you would remember not securig them which is an added bonus for their use.

Kindest regards

Vivtastic
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  20:24:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

branded RUBS have handles, other tubs do not have the handles, mine are secured by either bolts and wing nuts or cable ties.

Bolts and wing nuts??? what are you keeping in there????

Rubs ARE the brand, really useful box, the other boxes are just plastic storage boxes with no name!! Rubs have the handles you use to secure the lid!
Probably the easiest method i have seen is using curtain runner clips, works well and less faff to get off and back on again.

Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  20:32:14  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I cannot be bothered with complex locking solutions, I just buy bargain branded RUBs from the internet and put holes in myself. Although my local exotics shop does pretty cheap RUBs with holes already melted in.

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
1.0 Spur thighed Tortoise
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page

vivtastic
50% Warning

76 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  20:37:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I cannot be bothered with complex locking systems" is usually followed by "has anyone seen my cornsnake".lol.

Regards

Vivtastic
Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  20:39:47  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The only escape I've ever had was entirely my own fault... I MAY have removed the door of a viv to facilitate easier removal of a corn snake, then I MAY also have forgotten to return it to the viv...

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  23:49:09  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have used luggage straps to hold down lids of cheap plastic tubs and to hold down lids on vivs as well.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  23:51:09  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use luggage straps on lids without clips, especially during transport of my little anery. On our journey home from buying her she pushed the lid straight off her tub!

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  15:15:47  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am sure the branded RUBs handles are secure enough and I will probable buy the branded ones when i need these however, if i cannot get them then i would use wing nuts/bolts or luggage strapps to secure lids.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  15:48:54  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use bulldog clips. The big sturdy ones

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  15:54:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

Probably the easiest method i have seen is using curtain runner clips, works well and less faff to get off and back on again.

I do that ^^^^
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  16:34:29  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't sure mine. But they are in air tight modified food containers! I still struggle to get the lid off and they ahve been in them for a year!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000