confused & slightly worried
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  22:12:51  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have read on a previous post that is now closed that baby corns can get lost in a viv what does it mean ?? I have just put Cilla in her new 2ft viv, i have sealed it all with aquarium sealant and put cardboard to cover the gaps in the wire holes ( i placed cardboard in the hole the taped the outside so she cant poke them through ) also got a viv lock so is that safe or can she still escape ??

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  22:18:45  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes baby corns have been known to sneak through the smallest of gaps. There was a photo on here once of a corn halfway through the gap in the viv doors. As long as you make sure all gaps, even ones you think are too small, are blocked then you should be ok.

The 'getting lost in the viv' could also refer to the fact that the bigger the enclosure , the harder it is to find a baby snake within that enclosure. They can make themselves very small. I have virtually stripped a viv bare before looking for a snake and that was over 18 months old so not a tiny one

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  22:25:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've lost Spot a few times in his viv but I bury cardboard tubes under the substrate and stuff like that or they just make there own hides in the substrate, they aren't really lost, they are still secure but trying to find them is more difficult (put a hammock in and hanging vines and that just makes finding them even more difficult). Its actually a good thing if they can hide that well they will feel more secure.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  22:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it just refers to a snake being in an environment that is just too big for them, having said that though some smaller snakes cope just fine but for others it can put them off feeding and just generally stress them out, you can make your viv smaller by putting a partition in at say the 18inch mark so it isnt as big for them and then as they grow gradually extend it

I know that if I had put Edison in a 2ft viv when he was smaller he probably wouldn't have coped - he's like a royal in that he likes it small and cramped - he genuinely does start to freak out if the spaces around him are too big or he has nothing to hold onto and he will grip my hand/wrist/arm or whatever as if his life depends on it, now hes bigger he's not so bad and he is coping well with a big 3ft viv although I have packed it out to the max with recycled cardboard boxes lol

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  22:32:01  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ahhh right well I think i have the holes covered ( crossing fingers and toes ) i've not put any hanging things in yet, thought i would keep her on floor for now until she gets bigger, after reading the post about lights i will be taking the bulb out tomorrow i haven't put it on as still waiting for guard to arrive but i have found i can see inside the viv with the living room light on and it is warm enough with the mat
Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  11:04:53  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Can you use a raw plug to block up holes where the wires go ?
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  11:31:46  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my hatchling is in a faun and she's never in the same hiding place twice, one time i really panicked as i thought she's got out then i noticed a wee face in a loo roll tube and i sware she was havin a good laugh at me lol

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.

Edited by - Ailsa on 14/05/2011 11:32:21
Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  12:02:56  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ha ha Cila went to bite me today, I guess I need to learn to leave her if she's sleeping lol xx
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  12:15:04  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well how would you like to be disturbed while sleeping lol

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  12:59:53  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yeh she does sleep though thought my teens were bad enough ha ha xx
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000