Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tracym
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  18:59:39  Show Profile
Does anyone on here have the heat mat stuck to the side of the viv instead of in the bottom?
This is what the guy in reptile shop has suggested for my new viv and corn snake, along with a small basking lamp and cover I said I hadn't heard of that but he said he works closely with vets and this is now what is recommended as some snakes are getting burnt on the mats on the floor. I am going to take his advise as he is the professional but just wondered if this was a new thing?
Also initially I was going to buy a faunarium but he said he would not sell me a snake to put in a faunarium as there are too many holes and you can't maintain the heat very well?
What are your thoughts??

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  19:08:49  Show Profile
You really don't need a basking light and heat mat for a light bodied snake such as a corn. Also a heat mat should be placed on the base of a viv or placed under a faun,not stuck to the side.
A heat mat covering approx a third of the base of the viv/faun/rub is sufficient. If you have the heat mat connected to a stat and a digital thermometer to monitor temps then theres no need to worry about burns.
I have 2 snakes in a viv,2 in tubs and 1 in a faun,they all maintain the heat fine.
Can't help but think he's trying to get you to spend more money than necessary.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  19:13:40  Show Profile
As above. I have also used heatmats under faunariums and maintained heat with no problems.
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  19:20:03  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage
I dont understand why he wont sell you a snake with a faunarium... they are fine for snakes as starters until they grow too big for it. Granted yes, some people do use RUBs rather than a faunarium, but they are intended as starter houses for small reptiles and snakes.

And as said above if you have thermometer and a thermostat snake will be fine with the heat mat under xxx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

tracym
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  19:23:07  Show Profile
I am buying a wooden viv with heat mat on the wall and a small basking lamp (all that he suggested) Its very confusing to a new snake owner. I don't want to argue with him but everyone on here is saying different to what he says!! I don't know which is correct or if they are both correct just different ways to doing it.
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  19:28:29  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage
I can understand how confusing it is what size of viv is he selling you and for what size corn? Hatchlings and youn corns are nervous in large spaces... it the viv is significantly large for it's age you will need to make sure there is plenty of hiding coverage, such as fake plants etc for it so not to stress it out and cause possible feeding/behavioural probs xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

tracym
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  19:33:46  Show Profile
Its a 6 month corn in a 2ft viv. I will definitely be putting in a couple of hides and some fake plants so he has lots of places to hide.
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  19:36:11  Show Profile
The heatmat needs to be on the base of the viv not the side.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  20:46:39  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
basically, he's talking out of his faecal matter expulsion device and trying to get you to spend more money than you need to on stuff that you don't actually need
for that reason i'd personally vote with my purse/wallet and avoid that shop.

i have however known shops refuse a sale if you don't have and won't buy a thermostat, that to me makes sense as it IS an essential piece of kit.

it also sounds to me like his general care advice is more suited to lizards and not snakes...........numpty!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 13/05/2011 23:33:07
Go to Top of Page

tracym
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  21:10:57  Show Profile
I am now really stressed as I have put £20 deposit down. He seemed a really nice guy and there were one or two others people buying snakes and things and all were agreeing with him (its so much easier buying a hamster!!)
I think I am just gonna have to take his advise for now and and see how it works out. If the viv is the correct temp and snakey is okay then all is well. But if its too hot I will just have to adjust the stat a bit and hopefully it will all work out.
I did say to him at the time that everyone else I had spoken to said I didn't need a basking lamp etc but he said he works alongside vets and was trying to educate people better
I will let you know how I get on.
Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  21:28:59  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address
I have had that problem, but like you I decided to get the lamp, though i didn't get the basking bulb just a plain 25 watt bulb and a guard but i have sealed the mat down on floor with aquarium sealant as I wont be changing the viv around , I am just waiting for the sealant to set and fumes to go before I out Cilla in on Saturday, good luck with yours :)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  21:58:34  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i work alongside vets too...........still think he's a numpty

i'd buy Kathy and Bill Love's book and take it down to the shop and start quoting from it....surely he can't argue with that??!!

(it's worth getting hold of a copy anyway, it's a good read )

Edited by - gingerpony on 12/05/2011 21:59:38
Go to Top of Page

tracym
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  08:03:04  Show Profile
I have it on order already :)
Go to Top of Page

Fluff
Egg

56 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  09:04:50  Show Profile
Don't get pushed into anything...I was given the hard sell and even after doing plenty of research still came home with a couple of bits that arn't in my viv 6 weeks later (like a huge heat mat and stupidly small water bowl)...My snake little is fine in his wooden viv with a heat mat. For lighting I got a small LED strip light for a small aquarium from pets at home paid more than you would on the net but it was fully functioning and just plugs straight in (I have herd of people buying them from the net then having to sort out power to it themselves), one thing I was advised to get and will now back that up completely is digital thermometers...it's nerve wracking getting your first exotic pet and a digi thermometer really helps calm nerves about temperature. The thermostat will control your temperature and mine is fine with just a matstat which is one of the cheapest stats on the market.

One thing I was told is that the exo terra arn't that good for corn snakes as temperature was hard to maintain?!?!!?!?!......is this true, I like the exo terra's.

My suggestion is take a mate with you that can back you up if you feel under pressure, and try and be there when the shops a bit quieter!

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  09:11:49  Show Profile
Here's an interesting thing regarding positioning of mats-

When I picked up my boas the other day I also got a free 2 foot viv. Heating wise, it has a mat stuck on one side of the roof (on the inside) and the right side (on the inside) creating a heat "corner" type arrangement.

When I got home I left the vivs usual occupant in his travelling tub, and decided to plug in the stat that came with the viv and see what the result was- to my suprise, the mats where creating a perfect ambient air temperature and heat gradient for the boa (tested with 2 digital thermometers of course). I've left the mats where they are as they seem to be heating just as well as the ceramic I use for my royal.

Just something to consider....

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  09:14:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by tracym

I am now really stressed as I have put £20 deposit down. He seemed a really nice guy and there were one or two others people buying snakes and things and all were agreeing with him (its so much easier buying a hamster!!)
I think I am just gonna have to take his advise for now and and see how it works out. If the viv is the correct temp and snakey is okay then all is well. But if its too hot I will just have to adjust the stat a bit and hopefully it will all work out.
I did say to him at the time that everyone else I had spoken to said I didn't need a basking lamp etc but he said he works alongside vets and was trying to educate people better
I will let you know how I get on.

So will you need 2 thermostats then? One for the basking lamp and one for the heatmat?? Thats gonna be pricey

Is it not going to be difficult trying to control temps with 2 different heat sources running? I could be wrong, I don't use basking lamps so not got a clue how they work but I'm pretty sure you will get fed up of messing around with the 2 heat sources and end up turning one off.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  14:46:58  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
at SB says, heatmats can increase ambient temps in a small enclosure when wall or ceiling-mounted but the heatmat has to be pretty big and cover a relatively huge area/part of the viv. a much more effective way is to floor-mount a mat that's about 1/4 to 1/2 of the floor's surface area.
and as Louise mentioned, 2 stats would be needed to control both heat sources (including a more expensive dimmer stat for the bulb) which is a totally unneccessary expense as the light is also unneccessary!

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  15:44:53  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
Tracy. The easiest way to think about this is heatmats bottom positioned have been the favoured method of heating corns an small snakes for many many years by hobbyists breeders and even people who publish one of the best books about corns there is, an Im sure it will be done this way by most for many many years to come. yea we do have a few that use heat lamps on here without il effect, but depending on the type of bulb will determine if it can be used as a primary heat source of just a daytime heat source. A side mounted mat will be ok for ambient air temp but so is a bulb. As for heat mat burning snakes that will only happen for a few reasons eg un stated or a mat being used to heat heavy bodied snakes

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

tracym
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  15:56:46  Show Profile
I have been back to the shop and chatted with guy. He was very nice and said I can try it with just the heat mat and see how it goes or try it with the very low wattage bulb and matt. I am going to try it with both for the weekend (without snake) and see if I can maintain the temperature at a suitable temp.
The guy really seems to know what he's talking about and wouldn't be in business if he was talking nonsense.
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  16:09:17  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
What sort of bulb has he said to use Tracy do u know??

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  16:34:34  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by tracym

The guy really seems to know what he's talking about and wouldn't be in business if he was talking nonsense.

You'd be suprised! People don't always research animals and always go with what the pet shop says so with enough people like that they stay in buisness!

That petshop guy is an idiot, just pushing to take more money as is the vet's he apprently works so closely with. Every petshop pushes for the sale of vivs as they a large and bulky in their shop and sell for a small fortune. I would never walk into that shop again if I was you as he is talking out of his ****. As long as a heat spurce is statted, you only reduce the likely hood of gettting burnt. Snakes can also be burnt by bulbs and bulbs gaurds and I have had a bulb shatter on me before, not nice. In my expeierince a mat is safer. If your getting a bbay corn it would be much better in a faun or RUB, you are so much more liekly to loose a baby corn with a viv plus many other problems are more likely to arise.

You do not need two heat sources at one time, if you wnat both maybe use the light in the day and the heatmat at night.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000