Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tracym
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  20:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I have eventually got my own way and am looking forward to getting my first corn snake

Hubby's only condition before I get one is that I need to find someone who will look after the snake if we go away and I am really struggling

My parents won't do it nor my sisters, I have asked my closest friends and they aren't interested (not sure they would even visit if I have a snake)

what do you all do with your snakes when you go away?

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  20:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't go away :(
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  20:27:09  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Depends how long I'm done, if it's only going to be a week I can safely leave them as long as i top up the water quite full and they cant tip the bowl over.

Never had to leave them for any longer than that though :) some petshops will board snakes.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

tracym
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  20:32:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are only going away for 1 week this year in the summer. I thought you had to change their water daily? Next year though it will be for 2 weeks.

Louise32 I have to have my holidays!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  20:51:17  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm sure if you find a nice heavy tip proof bowl and you fill it up quite full then snakie will be ok. When I got mine last month i discovered that the rep shop does boarding for customers snakies, beardies etc, im sure if you enquire around you will find somewhere.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  21:06:57  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't go away either it was my decision to have pets and as I work full time my holiday is spending more time with them but thats just what I choose to do.

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  21:08:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't reccommend leaving them for more than a few days. Your local reptile shop will more than likely do a boarding service.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Lucy1012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  22:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going away for 4 days tomorrow, I will ensure they are fed just before i go and that they have enough water, i add an extra bowl just in case they 'spoil' theirs. Luckily I have a friend with a very enthusiastic teenage son, who is willing to have them if I go away longer.. Feeding is not the issue really, but keeping an eye on temps and water is besides with 3 kids and a multitude of other pets we never go longer than a week..

0.0.1 Amel Corn CB10 Luna
1.0.0 Orchid Corn CB08 Mizuki
0.1.0 Hypo Corn CB10 Hala
0.1.0 Normal het lav CB09 Neona
1.2.0 Normal Royals, Jericho, Eclipse and Monday

and various other critters including, 2 dogs, 2 cats, a hamster, a gerbil, 3 fish, 1 husband and 3 daughters :-)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  22:43:52  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tracym

We are only going away for 1 week this year in the summer. I thought you had to change their water daily? Next year though it will be for 2 weeks.

Louise32 I have to have my holidays!!!!

I don't change mine daily, I do it every 2 days as then they can decide on chlorine water or de chlorined :p and snakes drink a lot worse in the wild so me not changing their water for a week is no issue. I have someone to check if they have pooped or put aspen in it and for them to change it if they do that. Otherwise there's no point :)

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  23:05:11  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have friends that do mine, but i have a little hand pump so they dont have to open the glass up more than 1 cm, they suck old water out pump new water in an have a look to see there still alive haha. as i said if u struggle when your near to go away just message me

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

tracym
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  08:00:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the replies, that should shut hubby up!!!!

a33272 thanks for the offer again. I am going to Exotics pets (headington) on Saturday as they have a few different coloured corns in(morphs?)

Wish me luck!
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  10:09:41  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
While you are there you could ask them if they board snakes during holidays and how much it is.

My nephew usually looks after mine for me. Last time he came he just came the once during my 5 day holiday just to change the water n check temps. I don't feed mine before I go away, that way I can be pretty certain he wont have to deal with any possible regurges. Plus most of them will have pooped so he wont have to worry about the smell (he is a wuss with yukky wiffs).

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

tracym
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  12:21:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I have put a deposit down on my little snakey and am going back tomorrow with the family just to make sure!!!
And guess what..........they are in the process up setting up the back room in the pet shop for boarding snakes....Sorted!!
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  12:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My parents look after mine, I would never leave my snakes in a situation where they won't all be checked on once a day.

Imagine coming back from your hols to find your stat probe has moved and your snake has cooked itself....

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lucy1012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  12:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tracym

Thanks for all the replies, that should shut hubby up!!!!

a33272 thanks for the offer again. I am going to Exotics pets (headington) on Saturday as they have a few different coloured corns in(morphs?)

Wish me luck!

Where do you live Tracey, I am in South Oxfordshire???? I could always help. :-)

and various other critters including, 2 dogs, 2 cats, a hamster, a gerbil, 3 fish, 1 husband and 3 daughters :-)
Go to Top of Page

tracym
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  16:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lucy, I am in Kidlington, where are you? What snakes do you have? This is going to be my first snake ever! I am so excited just got to think of a name now, husband has suggest Ian!
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  22:11:45  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my snakes see to themselves, they're fine on their own while we're away.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Morpheus
Snake Mite

26 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  19:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We left ours (about 6-months old now) for a couple of nights, I replaced his normal bowl with a small pot dog bowl of water, he couldn't tip it over.

Not sure about a week though, maybe a bit too long?

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Lucy1012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  21:53:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am near Thame Tracy, I have a corn yearling and a Royal Hatchling, hoping to add to the collection when some babies arrive... :-) I am practically on the A40, so if you need a snake hotel, i would be more than happy to help...

Go to Top of Page

tracym
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  08:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Lucy, nice to have lots of options available. I thought I had no family who would look after him but my aunty has just said she would look after him too.
I collected my first corn snake (well first snake ever!) on Saturday and he is gorgeous. He is six months old and is a common corn with lovely markings, we have named him 'Keo'
I will try and put up some pictures when I can.
Go to Top of Page

Isoldael
Yearling

Netherlands
999 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  11:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a neighbor who used to be terrified of snakes... until he met Saphira. Now he regularly asks me if I'll be going away any time soon, cause he's looking forward to taking care of the snakes again ;)

1.0 anery stripe (Nash)
1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
1.0 bloodred het amel, charcoal, hypo, stripe 50% phet anery, lavender (Kasumi)
0.1 grey background normal het amel (Saphira)
0.1 tessera het amel, anery, stripe (Lilith)
0.1 amel (Aurora)
0.1 hypo bloodred het anery, charcoal, stripe 50% phet amel, lavender (Mara)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000