New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
200 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  11:30:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
after thinking i had the temp cracked low an behold its goin haywire again or at least i think it is ......im using a ministat to moniter the heat mat and thats clicking on and off saying the mats at the right temp but my thermometer* zoo neo digital* is placed directly on the base of the faun in hot side and its now only showing 25c even after moving it around ? any ideas would be great thanks all

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  11:32:08  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Are the probes weighed down with something?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 08/05/2011 11:32:50
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  11:47:32  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is that microclimate? Coz I've got one of them that does my nut! It swings constantly all the way between the lowest I've seen of 25.7 and a high of 32.3. It isn't exactly great with its cut in/out points! Will be changing it for a habistat when I clean the snakes in a couple of weeks.

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  11:55:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My ministat is great, have no problems with it. The thermometer probes no matter how much I stick them down or weigh them down, always get moved about by the snakes.

Because I use heatstrips I have 3 or more rubs lined up on one mat, each with a thermometer. That way if one reading drops and the others stay fine I know it's almost certainly a probe thats been moved, not the mat or the stat at fault.
Go to Top of Page

Rake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
200 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  11:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the thermometer probe is its weighed down with sum substrate, ye it is a microclimate proving a right pain thought it was my heat mat to begin with now the thermometers goin haywire

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  12:13:14  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

My ministat is great, have no problems with it. The thermometer probes no matter how much I stick them down or weigh them down, always get moved about by the snakes.

Wish mine would behave! lol After seeing a thread here somewhere, I've started melting little holes in fauns and rubs and now use cable ties to hold the probes in place which works a treat. The ones in my viv and ET are just being weighed down with hides and rocks and have been fine so far.

Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  12:33:58  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have a microclimate stat, the one that goes on/off i got from blue lizard reptiles and it is working great, maintains a temp of 28.5 - 29.5*C, i have 2 cork mats, then 2 double folded bits of tin foil, then heat mat with stat sitting on top of heat mat, then faun sits on top with the digi therm prob on bottom of faun in same position as heat mat stat and its covered with a wee bit of substrate and a hide on top..........no probs at all temp wise although I do keep a close eye on it.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.

Edited by - Ailsa on 08/05/2011 12:44:41
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  12:41:01  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe mine was just a faulty batch then. Either way, I'm not happy with it and it's put me off using them again so I'll just stick to habistats in future.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  13:18:04  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Some other people have had problems with microclimates in the pats on here before that they sent back as the range of tempreture they kept was so great that it was probably faulty.

Where is the stat prob and the therometer probe? Are they in the same place? If you have a faun and you haven't already try rubber banding the probes together and weighing them down with like a rock or something if you wish to keep the probes inside or, take the probes out the faun, put them right near the base outside the faun and put something with a bit of weight like a book ontop of that.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

vivtastic
50% Warning

76 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  18:49:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might be as unlucky as me, if there is one faulty electrical device in every thousand items i will be r=the one to get it, Microclimates come with a 5 year guarantee so just send it back, if it is broke they will either fix it or post you out a brand new one. I would not let one faulty item let you dismiss a brand.

Kindest regards

Vivtastic
Go to Top of Page

Rake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
200 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  19:30:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
seem to be getting low readings from inside faun only have had it in same place as stat probe and still low reading, but earlier on i stuck it under the faun with the stat probe on the heat mat and the heat mat is giving off exact same temp as set on stat, think its just a funny thermometer as snake is all the same with no change even wen handled still calm and jus curlin up getin comfy. i have mine on towel then foil then towel then mat wit faun on top

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000