Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  23:50:18  Show Profile
my corn laid 7 eggs 2 weeks ago.
they were very small, less than 4cm long n very thin oblong shaped. But the eggs stuck together and have stayed white.
I candled the top egg earlier n there is a very clear thick vain, and a few smaller ones.
Ive never seen any other corn snake eggs except in pictures, but they seem very small compared.
Espher is small, too small to have been bred really, it was an accident and i felt awful but Espher is eating and back to normal now.
Are they just small cos Espher is?

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  07:44:26  Show Profile
How can your snake breed by accident? I don't get it when people say that.

Either you you put a male in with her or you housed her with a male? Female snakes don't breed on their own!
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  08:13:23  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
I'm confused as in a previous thread on breeding u said u have to corns in 1 viv but with a divider and u had also breed 2 corns. So is this one the female u breed or one in divided viv??? Aslong as there not slugs then they might hatch, do u have them in an incubator ??

Just reminder from other thread .......

Just so you know, my male n female are in one tank but with a divider and im waiting for my second vivarium to be built.

So, if a male n female are housed together, will they only breed during mating season, or does it depend on the snakes?

Also, i have bred a female okeetee with an Anerythristic, what hatchlings will i get?

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  08:29:08  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
sounds about the right size foir eggs......

and no, i don't get it either Louise.......

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  14:49:41  Show Profile
Like many people, i was given bad advice when i first got my male. The man at the petshop said they would be fine together, not breedin for a couple of years cos of how small my female is. Its obvious to me now that he was taking advantage and just trying to make a quick sale.
I didnt have access to the internet then, so i bought kathy loves book.
I found out n put in a divider but it was too late, espher was already gravid.
Do not make out that im lying, it was an accident and i was distraught when i found out because i thought espher wasnt gonna make it.

Thankfully she laid them, shed perfectly and has eaten 3 mice since.

Im positive the eggs are not slugs, theyve lasted 2 weeks n as i said i can see veins when i candle them.

Im new to this forum n most of these replies have made me wonder.
This site is meant to be brilliant, So you should be nicer to people in my opinion.

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  16:09:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

Either you you put a male in with her or you housed her with a male? Female snakes don't breed on their own!

Im quite offended by this. Do not make out like I have no idea what im doing, i was given the wrong advice from supposedly a reptile expert at a pet shop.
Many people on here have made simialar mistakes, and although it WAS an accident im now very happy it happened and i am having a custom viv built for my male.

This forum is about helping people, not having a go when you dont even know them.

My snakes mean the world to me, just like everyone else.

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  21:01:10  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address
I had the same thing happen to me too, I am thankful my girl made it through! Egg sizes seem to vary, my girl was small too and laid some big ones, some small and found, all were fertile. Long as they are white and kept plump, they will be fine.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  21:02:53  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by VicNCal

quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

Im quite offended by this. Do not make out like I have no idea what im doing, i was given the wrong advice from supposedly a reptile expert at a pet shop.
Many people on here have made simialar mistakes, and although it WAS an accident im now very happy it happened and i am having a custom viv built for my male.

This forum is about helping people, not having a go when you dont even know them.

My snakes mean the world to me, just like everyone else.

No point being offended, she has a point, snakes dont breed by accident.
no one said anything about you not knowing what you were doing, however, now you mention it, you obviously didnt know what you were doing, otherwise you wouldnt have an undersize gravid female.
not having a go, merely pointing out that there is no point being offended.
Its good that she laid with no problems, most of the time thats the case, however, many times its not the case, and you end up with vets bills that could be as high as 400 quid.
Its yet another case of bad advice from a pet shop.

Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  00:14:26  Show Profile
I agree, there are some people on here are quick to tell you the mistakes that you have made (even if you admit and point them out in your description), rather than give you advice for the situation you are now in. I had a similar experience on here when I asked what to do for the best for my corns eggs! but ahh well..

my eggs are pretty small too, the majority did not make it but I have 4 that are still white so far so fingers crossed! I will try that candling thing tomorrow though :)

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  10:50:48  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address
I've not had any bad advice from here but I wish you the best of luck with your little snake eggs, hope the hatch fit and well little snakes :)

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  14:13:19  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
some people prefer a spade to be called "A sturdy digging tool commonly used in gardens with a handle and a heavy, flat blade that can be pressed into the ground with the foot" other call a spade a spade

however.....if you kept a male and female together of any species be it cats, rabbits, dogs, horses, snakes or whatever, you would expect them to breed. not the female to worry about her weight or age being too low or the male to worry that it was his sister he was doing....
to me, it's just common sense

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  17:57:00  Show Profile
I think I saw a picture on here of a very small and totally round egg and it hatched. I guess as long as what has to happen inside has happened then the size is not a major issue, might just be a slightly smaller hatchling due to the egg and yolk been smaller.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  15:11:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

some people prefer a spade to be called "A sturdy digging tool commonly used in gardens with a handle and a heavy, flat blade that can be pressed into the ground with the foot" other call a spade a spade

however.....if you kept a male and female together of any species be it cats, rabbits, dogs, horses, snakes or whatever, you would expect them to breed. not the female to worry about her weight or age being too low or the male to worry that it was his sister he was doing....
to me, it's just common sense

Generally though, with most species the animal has to reach sexual maturity.
I was told a snake wouldn't reach it until it was a certain size, of course i know otherwise now.

You wouldn't expect a male and female puppy to breed.

Anyway I'm not trying to argue, I just thought it would be nice for people to give me advice, not try to make me feel bad about something that has already happened.

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  17:58:39  Show Profile
Vic - You did totally the right thing by asking. I like your puppy analagy. Snakes do tend to breed as soon as they can, much sooner than expected, but you weren't to know and I think it's unfair the way some people have reacted. I think everyone's just in agreement that we all want snakes to be healthy and live decent lives, obviously complications can arise from early breeding and this is a cause for concern. But like you said, what's done is done and you can't be held fully responsible.

Best of luck is what I say

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  23:57:59  Show Profile
I'm sorry that you're having a bad experience, people on here sometimes jump to conclusions, which can be really off putting, but lots of people here are nice and understanding. I took the advice of my pet store, which before joining here I expected to be the best source of advice. I can see that like me you are trying your best for your snakes and you can only treat them as good as you know :)

I'm glad that your snakey is fine and eating now - have you put some reptoboost in the water to help replenish calcium supplies? I hope that your eggs hatch and get some lovely snakeys :)

zan x
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  23:44:31  Show Profile
I haven't been putting it in the water but I dust her mice with it. It's called reptobal the stuff I've got

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

Spindle
Egg

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  20:12:32  Show Profile
A friend of mine had the same problem a good few years ago. She was told it was fine to house 2 young corns together when she bought them. She was only 18 at the time and was happy to follow advice from the store she bought them from. A while later however her female was trying to lay and due to being too young the eggs got stuck (im sure there is a technical term for this but I dont know what it is)so unfortunately the female passed away.
My friend was devastated and had she known she would of never housed them together. I do think that most problems are from bad advice as I couldnt imagine many people wanting to harm there snake on purpose.

0.1.0 Eva the beautiful anery corn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000