BRB Habitat...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  14:25:51  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi guys!

I joined and posted this on the rainbow boa forum, but thought I'd stick it here too because there seems to be a lot more traffic here.

I've now got 3 corns and am getting a BRB very soon. But I just want to check this setup is ok?

>>> My bits from Surrey Pet Supplies arrived this morning and I've now set up the habitat and am monitoring readings. It's only been finished literally a few minutes and as of right now readings are... hold on... warm 29.7C, cold 19.9C (room temp) and humidity 86%. As far as I know these are just fine. Cool end could be a touch warmer maybe, but not much I can do with this setup.

I just want to check with those who know a lot more that this home is ok? Heat mat covering the rear 3rd length. Water bowl mostly over the heat. Orchid chips, warm hide, cool hide, humid hide on moss half over the heat, a log, a vine 'bridge' and a couple of fake plants. All in an 18 litre rub measuring about 17x15 inches. Here's a piccy and I'd appreciate any comments both positive and negative. Cheers!

EDIT: Another reading check: 29.7/20.3/84%. Will keep a check on humidity and might end up having to cover some air holes...

Pete

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  15:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great.

You will need to monitor the humidity over a few days to get a better idea how well it holds. It may drop a bit as the substrate/moss dries which is when you will need to re-spray it. Having said that I found in a small rub (9L) humidity held really well.

How old is the brb, what size?
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  15:53:16  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

Looks great.

You will need to monitor the humidity over a few days to get a better idea how well it holds. It may drop a bit as the substrate/moss dries which is when you will need to re-spray it. Having said that I found in a small rub (9L) humidity held really well.

How old is the brb, what size?

Cheers Louise. Yeah I will def keep a close check on things. It's been running roughly 3 hours now and has remained pretty constant so far. Without additional misting it's currently 29.6/21.0/86% so I'm well happy. Thought it would take some time to settle but only took minutes it seems. But obviously 3 hours is nothing so will keep monitoring for now.

I was looking at a couple of BRB's last weekend. Only little'uns, and I don't think they were any bigger than my corns, which are around 18" or so. But a bit thicker in the body of course. Hoping to go shopping at the weekend if my readings stay like this.

Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  23:23:52  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Right, it's been running since lunchtime and I tweaked the stat and covered some holes. Readings right now are: warm 28.1 (having reached a high of 28.9 and low of 27.5). Cool end is 21.3 and humidity is 88%. If those readings are similar when I get up tomorrow, I'm going shopping.

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  10:30:43  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well the readings are virtually unchanged which is triffic. I'm off out to get something shortly...

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  10:32:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wooooo! Nice one.

Make sure you get some pics....please :D
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  11:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh you lucky person you! Very jealous.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  10:53:23  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nice one and your set up looks fab :)

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

animalcrazy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  11:36:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow your snake family is growing rapidly :) remember- pictures!

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  11:45:52  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

Nice one and your set up looks fab :)

Cheers. Am quite pleased with it I must say. Although I don't think it'll be long before he outgrows it! lol

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  11:48:45  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by animalcrazy

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16484

Must stop collecting snakes for the time being. Is ok while they are little, but they will all need bigger homes one day and until I move I don't know how much room I'll have! lol

Although my OH has a spotted python and I'd love one myself coz they are sooooo placid. And they don't get very big...

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  12:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ptmbradley

quote:
Originally posted by animalcrazy

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16484

Must stop collecting snakes for the time being. Is ok while they are little, but they will all need bigger homes one day and until I move I don't know how much room I'll have! lol

Although my OH has a spotted python and I'd love one myself coz they are sooooo placid. And they don't get very big...

Very true. I will have quite a few big heavy bodied snakes in a few years time and it's easy to get carried away collecting them while they ae small and fit into rubs.

Luckily I have room for 8 4 ft vivs (2 stacks of 4) so it's not too much of a problem although I have to buy the vivs and all the extras for them, plus pay for rats to feed the boas as I don't breed rats only mice!

That's why I have stopped now, after the few new ones arrive there will be no more
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000