New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tracym
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  18:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have decided to get my family a corn snake. Today we went to a reptile place and held a baby one and a fully grown one, kids loved it.
I am so nervous about getting things right it is almost putting me off getting one. i.e what sort of viv, RUB, fauna, what heating, how to maintain temp, do I need a basking lamp, do I need a thermostat!!!!! the list goes on.
The guy in the shop said if I had a heat mat I probably wouldn't need a thermostat but everything I have read on here says you do. He also said I could get a basking lamp and then went on to talk different wattages and I totally got lost then.
Please help me, what do I really need to start out with a baby corn snake.

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  18:35:21  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there you will need a thermostat. Give this a read http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  18:38:48  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
alot depends on what age u go for baby needs a faun or rub, where as adults will need a big rub or viv. heating is simple most comman is a mat, BUT ignore what he said about not needing a stat u do still need one.

have a look through the caresheet on main front of site an have a look here

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878
and
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  19:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't be nervous, its very daunting to start of with, lots of terms and different ways of doing things. Corn snakes are a brilliant starter snake, they are fairly easy to look after and once you get the equipment you need and set it up correctly it will practically run itself, and only need checking that its doing what it should be. I don't think I've had to do anything with my corns setup this year, its just doing what it does. You can't go wrong with having a good read through all the stickies on this forum (they are subjects stuck to the top of the list of subjects because of their important info) and just ask any questions you can think of you'll be pleased with how many helpful people are knocking about on here, I know I was.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

animalcrazy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  22:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This really was the most useful site I found for guidance before I picked up Colin from my friend three weeks ago. I was reading the posts and the care sheets for a while before he came and felt fairly confident by the time he arrived. I always feel I can ask a question on here if I need and get supportive comments and advice.So just ask away.

Good luck in getting your new family member!

Go to Top of Page

tracym
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  08:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, I am now talking myself out of it!! I am not sure if the novelty will wear off quickly and the poor snake might be left in his tank for most of the time. I can see my kids only playing with it when we have visitors and as corns live for about 20 years its a long time to be ignored.
I will keep reading all the posts before I make my final 'big' decision.
I have another question to help me decide, do you think its best to start with a baby or an older corn. I noticed in the shop the baby one was very quick. Are older ones more easy to handle?
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  09:42:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How old are your kids? I know all kids are different,but mine are 8 and 10 and they ask to hold the snakes every day,we got the first in August last year and they seem more interested than ever.
Its really up to how you feel though at the end of the day. I also had the thought that the novelty could wear off for the kids,but I knew the novelty wouldn't wear off for me,and that I'd be happy to keep the snake for the rest of its life.
Loki,our first corn was tiny when we got him,but I supervised the kids when they handled him and we never had a problem. He's grown a lot now he's nearly a year old,and I must admit he's a lot easier to handle now and I don't have to watch over the kids quite as much.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

tracym
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  11:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mort13,
Thanks for the reply, my kids are 11 and 13, its the 13 year old who wants it and says he won't get bored but he is a computer whizz kid (geek, for want of a better word) and I think a snake might not hold his interest for long. But on the other hand it might keep him off the computer with something else to think about! I am quite keen to own one but other half is not bothered either way. Oh dear its just getting harder to decide.
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  13:01:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does he know you are thinking of getting one? If so,if he's not done so already it may be worth him having a look around on this site and seeing what he thinks once he's read up on them a bit.
My son,who's 8 is obsessed with wrestling. He's either playing the games,watching it or practising his moves on the trampoline. He still likes to handle the snakes regularly though which is brill considering he's so young.
Maybe it should go on how keen you are. If you fancy the idea of one then go for it and use the guise of it being for your son.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  13:04:57  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My kids are 8, 3 and 1 and they adore the snakes. But to be honest I love them very much and I dont mind if they loose interest as I will always love them So I would definately go with the statement made about going on how keen you are on the idea xxx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  15:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The novelty does inevitably wear off at some point, but you might still find that your son becomes attached to the snake and wants to spend time with it even though it's not "new" anymore.
I suppose you have to think about what will happen in a few years' time, if your son goes away to uni or whatever, will the snake go with him or will you end up having to look after it while he's away? But you might end up falling in love with the snake yourself, so that wouldn't be a problem.

2.0.0 Western hognose (Baldrick and Bob)
0.1.0 Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  16:00:13  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
one point i think is worth mentioning....
it's nice to think you're giving an animal a home for life BUT selling them on isn't neccessarily a bad thing to do!
maybe i'm just hardened to it.......i dunno
there's some of my snakes that will, without doubt, be with me till they die but i've also sold on snakes that i've bred, morphs that don't fit with our breeding plans, species that i found i wasn't keen on and even some i bought with the intention of selling on at a later date (my non-feeders).
so yes, any pet is a long-term commitment but sometimes selling them on to a 'better' home is preferable to keeping them.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  19:48:40  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i was 14 when i got my first snake medusa now a year later im loving every reptile there is and working my local reptile shop :D snakes are lovely and beautifull pets :)

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000