Escaping from Fauns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  08:46:47  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Maybe am worrying too much.
I've been reading that fauns are not 100% escape proof and now am a wee bit worried that Dakota will escape as at the mo she is housed in a faun, she's just over 3 months old, do you think she should be moved into a rub or will she be ok in there for next few months, until she starts to get bigger?

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  09:00:29  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
She'll be fine. Anything you can read can make you worry, if you read about baby corns dying in RUB's because of the lip that would make you panick too lol

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  09:08:19  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
they can escape from fauns......they can escape from RUBs......they can escape from vivs......
the trick is to anticipate where they might get out and deal with it accordingly

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  11:55:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally prefer rubs to fauns. They are more escape proof!
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  11:55:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

they can escape from fauns......they can escape from RUBs......they can escape from vivs......
the trick is to anticipate where they might get out and deal with it accordingly

100% spot on.

A small snake can fit through very small gaps, and a big snake is strong as an ox. Deal with those factors and you almost can't go wrong. An enclosure is only escape proof when you make it escape proof.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  12:32:24  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

however when a certain forum member that shall remain nameless was looking after my yearling (at the time) bloodred she escaped from a 4l RUB.........just wriggled through where the airgap is where the lid sits on the edges........fortunately she was found a matter of feet away from the RUB!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  12:38:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

however when a certain forum member that shall remain nameless was looking after my yearling (at the time) bloodred she escaped from a 4l RUB.........just wriggled through where the airgap is where the lid sits on the edges........fortunately she was found a matter of feet away from the RUB!!

Ah, I had heard about hatchies escaping from rubs that way!

I have never owned a very young corn so it's not been an issue for me. I wonder though, if a hatcie could push it's way through the fins at the top of a faun the same way one of my bigger corns did?

Thats why I personally wouldn't put loo roll tubes up near the lid or encourage my corn to spend time at the top/lid of the faun. I don't trust those flexible plastic fins lol
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  13:26:15  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm always checking on her and she's always hiding away when i do, im also always checking those fins too, can a 3 month old baby push its way through? hmm

Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  13:32:39  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm sure someone once posted a vid of their tarantula trying to escape from one of those fauns as well, it was doing a good job of bending the fins with it's fangs. Shall try to find the vid.
All contained animals will try to escape at some point, it's what they do.

/edit found link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArcLPcipobo

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 02/05/2011 13:43:50
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  13:51:07  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
She's got plenty hides she uses so she's not stressed out by a big open space, and she's feeding well which im sure she wouldn't do if she was stressed out, first thing i do when i get up, go out, get back home, going to bed is give the faun a good check and panic as she's usually under the last hide i lift.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  13:51:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

I'm sure someone once posted a vid of their tarantula trying to escape from one of those fauns as well, it was doing a good job of bending the fins with it's fangs. Shall try to find the vid.

/edit found link:

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  13:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

/edit found link:

That's the exact same area my corn escaped through. I wonder if they can tell it's a weak spot?

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  13:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

She's got plenty hides she uses so she's not stressed out by a big open space, and she's feeding well which im sure she wouldn't do if she was stressed out, first thing i do when i get up, go out, get back home, going to bed is give the faun a good check and panic as she's usually under the last hide i lift.

I don't think anyone said she is stressed. Corns will try to escape, it's what they do, no matter how happy they are. One of my males is trying right now as I type this. He is pushing along the top of the rub he is in, checking for possible ecape routes. LOL he just fell down with a crash!!
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  13:58:29  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hmm well had a wee look and the spidy hardly bent the fins at all, tho perhaps given time it could bend it. Just spoken to the rep shop where i got my snake and they've been using fauns for years for their babies and not had a single escape.

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  14:15:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

Hmm well had a wee look and the spidy hardly bent the fins at all, tho perhaps given time it could bend it. Just spoken to the rep shop where i got my snake and they've been using fauns for years for their babies and not had a single escape.

I am sure they are safe enough, lots of people use them, just from my own personal experience, I chose to avoid them

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15073&SearchTerms=the+great+escape
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  17:20:16  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wow Louise just saw that link! Unbelievable that they can get through there! I'm in the process of setting up a large flat faun for my OH's spotted python, so hopefully she's not such an accomplished escape artist!! That's worried me a bit about keeping any of my future corns in one...

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  10:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG,I can't believe the size of those fangs......freaky!!
I myself am using a faun for the first time in a while with the secret snake as he came to me with his home.
Even though his previous owner had kept him in it with no problem I was still like some overly paranoid mad woman when I first got him!! My issue was with the holes for the probes,was positive he'd try and get out and get stuck so I ended up going on an elastic band mission lol.
The most secure enclosures I have are the clip seal boxes,oh and the viv.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  13:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all 6 of ours were in fauns and zero and aura are still in them and we had no issues at all.. mont and lucien were in them at just over 15months old and never got close to escaping..
the only one who has ever gotten out was Lucien and he was in a viv aged 3months and got out through a tiny hole 12inches up and over 8inches away from the nearest perch.. so they can get out even when it looks impossible!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  14:45:21  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
one thing I found was if you have one that is grilled around the top at the sides and need to get a thermostat in, you may have to cut abit off one of the pieces, cover the whole with a piece of tape, even if it looks too small, it isnt!

Owner of Renza Exotics - www.renzapets.co.uk
For all your Exotic & Domestic pet needs
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  17:05:03  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Diesel the faun i have has, on the lid, 2 very small holes in each side already there as well as the thin plastic fins, the holes are only the width of the probe cable and no need to cut bits of or use tape

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000