New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

noola
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  21:32:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, allot of you have boas and i think they are stunning and would love one , but how large do they get, is there a breed that is smaller than others and more ideal for first boa. I have a baby royal and will be fine with her when larger. Would love to know what you all think thanx

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  22:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a few 'dwarf' type Boas though I hate that term, they still get big, just not massive. I have a Hogg Island Boa, I think they are gorgeous and they change colour which is always a bonus, they dont get as big as the common Boas. I haven't met a mean Boa before though I've heard that babies can be nippy but I've not had that pleasure.

I am totally in love with my Boa, she has such a good temprement, she isn't overly active but she is settling in still, I am going to be buying her and kitting her out a vivarium next month becasue I've fallen out with RUBs and expect with more to do she'll be more active.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 01/05/2011 22:25:31
Go to Top of Page

uma and bill
Hatchling

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  22:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a Boa constrictor which will grow very big anything from 6 to 9ft very rare but can get to 15ft and also males tend to be smaller than females we have a female. There are hog island Boas, cay caulker boas and Abaco island Boas which claim to not grow over 6ft, Try asking Louise she has a Hog island Boa:-)

sjmarshall
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  22:33:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

There are a few 'dwarf' type Boas though I hate that term, they still get big, just not massive.

I have a dwarf type, a Crawl Cay. Nothing wrong with the word imo as they really are dwarf boas. Don't get much bigger than a corn snake
Go to Top of Page

uma and bill
Hatchling

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  22:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

quote:

There are a few 'dwarf' type Boas though I hate that term, they still get big, just not massive.

I have a dwarf type, a Crawl Cay. Nothing wrong with the word imo as they really are dwarf boas. Don't get much bigger than a corn snake

I thought you had a hog island or do you have both?

sjmarshall
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  22:51:40  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have:
Dumerils which are classed as medium sized boas, adults being 6-10ft and my adults being 6-7ft
Sinder hypos which are expected to reach 5-6ft, my 2 year olds are about 4ft
Argentine crosses, potentially making 10ft but are currently 5ft and 7ft

there's plenty of sub-species that are small, though i wouldn't write off the medium sized species until you've handled an adult or two

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  23:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by uma and bill

quote:

quote:

I thought you had a hog island or do you have both?

Both
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  09:41:45  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm getting, hopefully, a boa after i get my tang milk snake and my list to choose from is Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara and Vera Cruz, am in the research and finding prices etc process lol

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  10:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it all depends on how big you want, hogg island boas can get to 6ft, but 5ft is more common, wheras a crawl cay male reaches about 3-4ft, and females being 4-5ft. vera cruz boas are also very small, getting about 3-4ft, but these can be hard to get hold of, not seen many for sale
there are other species, but there the only three i now

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Hatchling

United Kingdom
366 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  12:08:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the dictionary defines dwarf as 'To become stunted or grow smaller' and there are various island locale boas that fit this definition, but you'd need to have a read to decide just how small a dwarf a boa you are after, I personally keep crawl cays, and hog/hypo hog boas, to give you an idea the mother of my crawl cay female is 22years old and is a shade under 5ft, my male will most likely average out around 3 to 3.5 feet, the hog female has the potential to hit 7ft but 5.5 to 6ft is more likely, I would expect my hypo male to attain a similar size. Have a read and pick what you like best and fits your size requirements just remember to allow for the max possible size for the locale you choose. As Bob says neonate dwarf boas have a reputation for being nippy, this may be true, all I can tell you is I have 4 and have not found this to be the case.
Sorry for the long reply, good luck with the hunt.

1.0.0 Classic corn snake - Dodge,2.2.0 Normal Royal - Palin,Detritus, Lyssa & Sofia,1.0.0 Spider royal - Anan,1.0.0 Mojave Royal - Ocha,1.0 Butter Royal - Huritt,0.1 Pastel ph ghost - Weeko,0.1 Yellowbelly - Loni,1.1.0 crawl cay boas -Maya & Pech,1.0.0 Hypo hog island boa - Harley,0.1.0 Hog island Boa - Babe

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  12:53:31  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm after a rainbow soon. Been busy doing lots of research recently about it. Just need to try and be patient for once and wait a while. I've been keeping snakes for less than a month and already have 3, so got to slow down a bit!

Adult enclosures seem to be a slight issue though. Because of high humidity requirements plastic vivs are recommended. But they seem to be rather expensive! Argos online sell a 4ft one for £120. But it's out of stock and from what I've gathered from elsewhere on the web, there isn't likely to be any more. All the other ones I've seen are double that price!

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  12:55:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ptmbradley

I'm after a rainbow soon. Been busy doing lots of research recently about it. Just need to try and be patient for once and wait a while. I've been keeping snakes for less than a month and already have 3, so got to slow down a bit!

Adult enclosures seem to be a slight issue though. Because of high humidity requirements plastic vivs are recommended. But they seem to be rather expensive! Argos online sell a 4ft one for £120. But it's out of stock and from what I've gathered from elsewhere on the web, there isn't likely to be any more. All the other ones I've seen are double that price!

Have you had a look on the rainbow boa forum?

http://www.therainbowboa.co.uk/forum/default.asp

Lots of great advice on there. I joined before I bought mine. She is in a rub right now so no need to worry about a viv for quite some time.
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  13:11:35  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah that's where I've been the last couple of hours Louise! lol

Read all about you getting yours a few months ago. You getting on alright with it all? I know there aren't any viv worries for some time yet, but I'm just doing some forward planning is all.

Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  13:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ptmbradley

Yeah that's where I've been the last couple of hours Louise! lol

Read all about you getting yours a few months ago. You getting on alright with it all? I know there aren't any viv worries for some time yet, but I'm just doing some forward planning is all.

lol cool

My girls doing great thanks. She is no trouble at all. Very placid, easy to handle. Great to feed, very fast!

My future plans are a 4ft viv for her. I was told by somone on that forum that you can use a normal wooden viv and before you assemble it, cover the inside parts with some sticky back plastic, fablon type stuff. I think I will give that a try.
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  13:28:42  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

My future plans are a 4ft viv for her. I was told by somone on that forum that you can use a normal wooden viv and before you assemble it, cover the inside parts with some sticky back plastic, fablon type stuff. I think I will give that a try.

Yeah I saw that. Might be the road I end up going down too, but obviously no rush coz when I do end up getting one he or she will be in a rub similar to yours for some time. Glad your girl is a happy little bunny boa.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000