New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  22:03:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My eldest son who is 15 yrs old has decided that he would like a pet lizard. This will be our first lizard. He was thinking of a leopard gecko but I am concerned that they be a liitle fragile for our home. The lizard will live in the lounge where the t.v is on every evening and it will always see people moving about and here noise. I know that geckos drop their tails if stressed but does this only happen if the stress is caused by handling or is it stress in general that can cause it. The other options would be perhaps a bearded dragon, though I know they don't have such a long a life span as some other lizards, or maybe a skink as I have read that they can make excellent pets. OR maybe you have a suggestion for a first lizard

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  22:22:17  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bearded dragons.
They'd love being in the lounge, very nosey little things and love being involved in everything, even if you don't want them to.
My beardies for example, if I sit in the chair in front of the viv, then I have to listen to them scrabbling at the front because sitting there means coming out to play and tasting everything that looks like it could be tasty.
When young they can be quite skittish, but are brilliant from the juvie stage upwards, full of character.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

saamicaat
Hatchling

166 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  10:06:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bearded dragons for sure! Bert is in the lounge, he will sit on your lap/shoulder and watch TV (well we think he does anyway, maybe he likes the colours/flashing stuff on the screen?) he likes nothing more than to be stroked under the chin and is stupidly docile. As said before Bert likes to scratch at the front of the viv meaning he wants to come out! They're docile and really friendly and I haven't heard a bad thing about them! I wish I'd looked at getting one sooner!

Medusa the Carolina Corn and Bert the Bearded Dragon.
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  13:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely beardies. They are brill! I loved my pair to bits and if I was in the situation to have beardies again I'd jump at it.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  14:05:03  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree with the other members....a beardie is a great lizard. They really are such characters and have super personalities.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  15:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a big supporter of the Rankins Dragon if you can get hold of one. Almost identical to the Beardie except smaller, eats much less and doesn't need such a big viv. Our Keydo loves watching TV and getting the head rubs etc. Bags of personality.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  10:18:18  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
beardie! beardies are very social pets and sorta have there own personality :)

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  22:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beardie all the way!! Absolutely no question about it! I take mine for walks on a lead in summer!

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  02:54:54  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

Beardie all the way!! Absolutely no question about it! I take mine for walks on a lead in summer!

This^^^^

Although mine only goes in the garden, think I posted pics as well once.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  15:10:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say I like the idea of a beardie though they do seem quite expensive to keep. My son is more liking the idea of a leo as he feels that they are easier to keep with a more basic set up than the beardie. He also like the look of the crested gecko. Any crested gecko owners on here for input on these?

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000