angry wee corn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kenny
Snake Mite

4 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  18:13:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i m not too sure of the age of my corn snake as i ve only had him 1 month but he's about 70cm in length.
he had his firstpoop3 days ago and shed his first skin 2 nights ago(since i ve had him that is)
I handled him on the day before shedding and he was not very mobile(now i know why) ,and now he's looking good in his new skin he wont let me pick him up,just keeps darting away or reversing ,sometimes he will coil back or even go vertical
Is he showing off ? because i think he ll be ok in a day or two once his skin has got less sensitive.Any advice would me greatly appreciated.This is my first snake.Thank you

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  18:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With persistence and gentle handling he will be fine. Just remember, he is much more scared of you than you are of him.

Make sure his house feels safe and secure, provide more hides if necessary, and when you go to pick him up be calm and confident. A flat palm over the snake can help to stop any striking or s-ing up.

A few people have had success with leaving a worn piece of clothing in the viv, but I've never bothered tbh, I just pick them up.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Hatchling

United Kingdom
366 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  18:21:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may sound odd, but I've tried it and it works, try putting a sock that you've worn balled up in his viv, this will help him get used to your smell, he's just doing what comes naturaly trying to get away from a potential predator.

1.0.0 Classic corn snake - Dodge,2.2.0 Normal Royal - Palin,Detritus, Lyssa & Sofia,1.0.0 Spider royal - Anan,1.0.0 Mojave Royal - Ocha,1.0 Butter Royal - Huritt,0.1 Pastel ph ghost - Weeko,0.1 Yellowbelly - Loni,1.1.0 crawl cay boas -Maya & Pech,1.0.0 Hypo hog island boa - Harley,0.1.0 Hog island Boa - Babe

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

kenny
Snake Mite

4 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  18:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you so much for the advice,i ve been feeding him a pinky mouse every friday,is it time to up it to every 4 days ?or 2 per 7 days? bigger mouse? quaile egg ?
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  18:38:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pictures would help, but at 70cm I should think he needs rather more than 1 pinkie.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

kenny
Snake Mite

4 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  18:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i want to put picyure and or video up of him cant see where to do it though
Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Hatchling

United Kingdom
366 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  19:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi this http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14057 should explain how to post photos, also a bit of info about enclosure, temps, and equipment eg stat, mat or other heatsource and how you monitor temps will help.

1.0.0 Classic corn snake - Dodge,2.2.0 Normal Royal - Palin,Detritus, Lyssa & Sofia,1.0.0 Spider royal - Anan,1.0.0 Mojave Royal - Ocha,1.0 Butter Royal - Huritt,0.1 Pastel ph ghost - Weeko,0.1 Yellowbelly - Loni,1.1.0 crawl cay boas -Maya & Pech,1.0.0 Hypo hog island boa - Harley,0.1.0 Hog island Boa - Babe

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

kenny
Snake Mite

4 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  19:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the advice scubadude i m too tired to suss it out at moment tho,have you ever given a corn snake a bath?from the vids i ve seen of them online they dont seem to crazy about it
Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Hatchling

United Kingdom
366 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  22:14:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest there should be no reason to give your snake a bath except if you are treating mites, I've had to do this with a royal and he wasn't keen, but in that case it was needs must

Go to Top of Page

Only1Nitro
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  01:11:38  Show Profile  Visit Only1Nitro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quaile egg?

Male Charcoal = Sterling
Female Carolina = Fofo
Female Butter = Amarelo
12 Eggs
Go to Top of Page

Dusk
Snake Mite

Ireland
19 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  03:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our snake seems to be shedding at the moment too, he is ok to be picked up and is very active too but seems to be happier staying in his little hideaway for the moment. I'm not sure what measurement he is, he seems to be about 3 foot. The guy in the pet shop said he was an adolescent and since we got him 3 weeks ago he's eating about 3 mice a week. He's on medium size mice, not sure what they are called, just going by what the guy in the pet shop said, he called them medium size. This will be the first time he shed since we have had him.
Go to Top of Page

Only1Nitro
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  08:20:21  Show Profile  Visit Only1Nitro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
3 a week seems to be a bit much tbh

Male Charcoal = Sterling
Female Carolina = Fofo
Female Butter = Amarelo
12 Eggs
Go to Top of Page

Dusk
Snake Mite

Ireland
19 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  20:18:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should I just feed him 2 a week instead do you think? I thought that if he ate them then he must be hungry.
Go to Top of Page

Only1Nitro
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  00:10:15  Show Profile  Visit Only1Nitro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe try bigger

Male Charcoal = Sterling
Female Carolina = Fofo
Female Butter = Amarelo
12 Eggs
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000