Feeding question.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rubberbiscuit
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  18:01:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering whats the best way to feed your corn snake??
Ive had Kiora a week now so I got him out to give him his first feed. Went great, he didnt try and strike at me (although he did behave like a possessed shoelace!!LOL) and although he ignored his pinkie at first I shut him in a smaller tub with it whilst I changed kitchen towel in his faun. Then I looked up to see 'nom, nom ,nom!'
My question is what should you do after they have fed?? leave them a while or put them straight back?? I ended up putting the small container in the faun so he could squiggle out on his own.
I think it will be better to fed him out of the faun, esp when I go over to aspen but dont want to give him indigestion..

ravensgirl
Hatchling

123 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  18:41:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's definitely a good idea to feed your snake outside the viv if you're using anything other than kitchen roll/newspaper. I would wait for a while before putting him back in or if its a small enough container let him move from the small container to his faun with a little bit of coaxing to get him in the right direction.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  18:57:31  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if i've fed one out of the viv i'll leave it 10-15 mins to come down from feeding mode

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  18:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do that with mine, specially the Boa, she is in feeding mode for ages after, I'm sure she would have a pop if I went straight in. I have tubs shallow enough to just tilt and let them leave of their own accord once the mouse hits the stomach.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  19:13:41  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

if i've fed one out of the viv i'll leave it 10-15 mins to come down from feeding mode

I do this too

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  20:04:35  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I feed mine in a little rub and once she's finished her nom nom's i let her move out of the little rub herself back into faun and under her warm hide she goes lol

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

rubberbiscuit
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  20:34:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great, I'll reckon I will stick to this system then.
Although Ive only had Kiora a week so I think he's still in 'run away' mode rather then feeding mode most of the time!LOL
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  20:47:39  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

I do that with mine, specially the Boa, she is in feeding mode for ages after...

i feed all my boas in their vivs, there's no way i'm sticking my hand in to get out a hungry boa that can smell a rabbit defrosting!!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  20:56:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feed all of mine in their vivs or tubs, straight on top of whatever substrate they have got. Its quick and easy, no need for moving them about, no risk of getting bitten, no viv defensiveness- no problems whatsoever.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  21:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

I do that with mine, specially the Boa, she is in feeding mode for ages after...

i feed all my boas in their vivs, there's no way i'm sticking my hand in to get out a hungry boa that can smell a rabbit defrosting!!!

Yeah I'm just waiting to see where I go with feeding when Sanke is a bit bigger, she'll not be as big as your Dums though, I don't blame you at all for not getting anywhere between snake and dinner.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000