Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Lost Corn - Shearer escaped after feeding !
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shy-Corny
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  10:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping I could get some guidance from you guys.

Our Cornsnake Shearer who is around 5 months old, had his usual weekly feed last night. We take him from his viv to feed him (in a lunchbox style container with airholes), usually let him digest his pinky and then pop him back into his viv.
As we went to get him out of his feeding box we realised he'd escaped!
He was on top of his viv in his feeding box, his viv is located between our kitchen and living area, we live in a flat and had the door open to our balcony as it was a warm night.
We have searched the whole area around where he got loose. We've pulled the washer and freezer out and got the torch to the intricate areas thinking it would be a nice warm place for him to reside to. Looked round the heat sources in the flat as advised here on other threads, we know he always likes to curl up in the warm end of his viv when he's fed and he barely moves for atleast the following 2 days though he is quite an active corn.
We was up for sometime last night trying to find him and I felt and still physically ill that the little fella has got out! In the end we lay down the flour and water dishes to try and ascertain where he could be. We have also placed some water and flour on the balcony incase he did decide to venture out. We put a container with plenty of paper inside and the lid ajar incase he needed to get warm.
We have had no indication that he moved during the night, there are no smears in the flour that we lay down.
Last night was the last of his pinkies we had stored so we were goin to be purchasing more from the pet shop prior to next Sunday which is his feed day. Have read on the idea of leaving food traps but wondered if there are any other alternate ways that may make him want to venture out. We would like to try and get the little begger before he even begins to think about food again ha!
I know we sound quite calm and collected here but we're really not, we're so worried for him and just want him home and safe!

Thanks for reading guys, any pointers would be really appreciated :)

Em and Rich

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  10:56:14  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh dear I do hope you find him. Have a wee read of this:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12170

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  11:58:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless you find his hiding place you'll not see signs of movement for the next few days he wont be moving. The good thing is that he will leave you a scent trail in a few days when he poops. If he had a stomach full of mouse he is unlikely to have gone very far. Systematic search from the point of escape outwards.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Shy-Corny
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  21:59:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FOUNNNNNND HIM!! Woooooo :D

Little begger was in the toaster haha! I did give it a inspection earlier but goes to show that you can never be too sure!

We had all the lights off and then every now and then I'd turn them on and have a mooch around, turn them back off and wait a little longer. Eventually spotted him coming out of the toaster spiralling down the cable!

I know everyone says they'll return sooner or later but it's always so difficult to stay positive when it's your own!

Thanks guys for your help and wise words they were great!

He's now back under his warm hide as usual! Blissfully unaware of the dramas that have been going on around him lol!

Thanks again :)

Em and Rich
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  22:28:20  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So glad he turned up for you. They tend to allow you to find them when they are ready lol. Really lucky you didn't want some toast.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  22:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THE TOASTER!!!!

Oh my god thats one I'd have never thought of. So glad he is back.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  22:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol,I can't believe you found him in the toaster!
Little tinker.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  23:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toaster! Wow, like it's been said, lucky you didn't want toast!
I know someone who lost her Corn after it got out, and her brother turned on the oven. Poor thing was in there, and they didn't know ;___;
Go to Top of Page

animalcrazy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  07:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad he is now safe again. I bet you felt so much relief when you found him :)

Go to Top of Page

ravensgirl
Hatchling

123 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  17:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
glad to hear he was found, they really can get everywhere and anywhere

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  17:38:39  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well aren't you glad you did not go make some toast before you seen him, glad he's now back safe and well.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  18:35:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christ! Imagine you turned on the toaster! thats so scary!

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

Tic_Tac
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  23:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow I know the first place I'm looking now if mine ever escapes!

So happy you found him

Catherine x x
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2011 :  12:00:27  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
OMG!! Glad he's back, will never use my toaster again without thinking about this topic!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Strawb
Egg

Germany
50 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2011 :  21:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It reminds me of an episode of the comedy show The Young Ones, in which Viv put his hamster SPG in the toaster.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000