my 2 setups...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  00:40:06  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pandora was my first snake a couple of weeks ago, and the other day she moved into this 18" square Exo Terra terrarium. She is roughly 20 inches long now so can pretty much double her size in here. I ended up taking the background out because on the first night she managed to get behind it and didn't move for 2 days! There are a couple of warm hides plus a cool hide. And of course the skull she can curl up in too, as well as the plants to hide under and a log to climb. Not that she ever shows herself. When I got her out from behind the background this morning she went straight into a warm hide and hasn't moved since! The LED lights are just something I had knocking about and add a very atmospheric moonlight look when the room light is dimmed.

And this is where my newest edition "Eira" lives. (It's Welsh for snow.) It's considerably more lo-tech than the other one but snakey doesn't mind. Again this 12 litre rub is enough for Eira to double in size, and includes a fish flake container as a cool hide, toilet roll as a hide and an ovaltine lid for water! There's also a coconut warm hide though, as well as a log and a plant and Eira seems content in there. I think I might swap the snakes over when it comes to cleaning time, because I never see Pandora but Eira seems to be quite active and is often looking for a way out of the rub! lol

Pete

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  01:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice setups you got there. I do like those exoterras. I'm thinking of getting one for some tree frogs down the line.

One tiny thing, I've found 28oC (and others have too) to be a better overall hot end temp for corn snakes. In fact I've found all my snakes prefer a degree or 2 lower than whats reccommended.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  01:10:15  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

One tiny thing, I've found 28oC (and others have too) to be a better overall hot end temp for corn snakes. In fact I've found all my snakes prefer a degree or 2 lower than whats reccommended.

Both setups tend to move anywhere between 27-30 during a 24 hour period. :)

Must admit I do like that Exo Terra, but def think I'll end up swapping snakes so I might actually get to see some life in there! lol

Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  10:29:44  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Your square Exo Terra terrarium looks really cool, I got my first corn on 9th april, dakota is a bloodred and just over 12 weeks old, wonder if i can move her to one of these when she needs a new home

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  10:50:04  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks alright doesn't it? Just a shame the life in there doesn't show itself now and then! lol There are at least half a dozen hiding places and 3 sides are effectively closed in, so it's not like she should feel insecure. Guess she's just a hider. Seemingly unlike Eira, who's always crawling around the rub, so a disinfect and good clean is on the cards in a few weeks and a swap over. :)

That size terrarium averages around £60 new, although I got mine cheap off a friend. All the decor inside comes to about the same. Will certainly do until the snakes reach a more adult size and then I'll be looking at stacking a couple of vivs I expect. :)

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  11:10:25  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Looks crackin so it does, what sizes do they come in or is that the biggest as thinking about that myself.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  11:22:35  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can get a 30x30 one, which is 12 inch square, but as one of my snakes is around 20 inches and the other coming up 18, I decided on the next size up. This is a 45x45x45, which is 18" square basically. There's also a 60x45 (24x18) and a 90x45 (36x18). You can also get light canopies for them if you wanted which, depending what bulbs you get, can be used for overhead heating or just to light the tank.

Here's their range... :)

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/terrariums.php

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  11:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ptmbradley

quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Both setups tend to move anywhere between 27-30 during a 24 hour period. :)

Must admit I do like that Exo Terra, but def think I'll end up swapping snakes so I might actually get to see some life in there! lol

My corns are at 28-30c with no problems. Most of the time its at 29c. The corns are fine and I have never had any issues with none feeding or regurges.

I'm not a fan of the glass tanks. It does look great but I just don't find them practicle for snakes. Mine could easily escape from the top and also found the 4 glass sides far to open so never came out it's hide. I also had to remove the background for the same reason you found.

Edit: You may find even if you swap snakes the one in the tank hides more.

Edited by - Invalid User on 21/04/2011 11:41:20
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  11:51:39  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
lol thanks Lou. Well I'll see how we get on with it for a couple of months. I managed to get it cheap from a friend anyway so no big deal if it doesn't work out. Just prefer something other than rubs ideally coz they are not exactly asth... aesth.. azthet... nice to look at. ;)

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  20:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

My corns are at 28-30c with no problems. Most of the time its at 29c. The corns are fine and I have never had any issues with none feeding or regurges.

I wouldn't expect you to have any problems with that temp range which is why I said a tiny thing based on what I've noticed.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  22:50:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like the set ups. The Exo Terra looks brilliant.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  23:10:08  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I added an aquarium surround and some ivy for the log today, as well as double securing the mesh lid. That will do now I think. Don't wanna stress the snake with all these changes!

The light in the terra is nothing like as bright as it looks here. Looks a lot more like shimmering moonlight.

Only thing is the warm hide that she spends most of the time in is buried beneath the log and plants so I really gotta search to get her! lol

Pete

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2011 :  03:13:37  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm very pleased to say I just spent the last hour watching Pandora explore her home!

She's disappeared into the skull again now, so I'm finally going to go to bed. Which is what I was about to do when I noticed she was out... lol

Pete

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000