Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2011 :  23:36:18  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
to be competitive you really need to offer live and frozen foods both in standard packs and bulk as well as equipment. Your prices (including delivery) will all depend on what sort of deals you can do with your suppliers. The more you yourself buy in the cheaper you should get it therefore the more competitive you can be but this means you will need storage space for all the stuff. If you are just acting as a middle man and asking your suppliers to send direct to your customers you won't last long.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  02:08:00  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diesel1994

seriously, do you think the industry is missing a trick anywhere or any product you think will help you?

How about something that would make it safe to carry a snake on a moped/scooter??

Oh no, sorry, you already KNOW that one.

Also, duplicate account, pick one account to use and use that, the other will get deleted.
If I don't receive an email within 48 hours of the time of this post then I shall pick the account to get deleted myself.
My email is in my profile.
Use it!!

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

gregDT
Egg

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  08:49:04  Show Profile  Visit gregDT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One idea I quite liked regarding delivery was from Amazon. They offer Amazon Prime, where I pay an annual fee (about £20) from memory and all my deliveries are free including next day delivery. Whether I spend £1 or £100 I don't pay any postage, just the fee. It might be an idea to take a look at the merits of doing likewise and see if it makes sense for you. I guess it would guarantee some regular income.

Also you should think about publicity and some stunning photographs of your products, maybe hire a professional photographer..... which by sheer coincidence is what I am

Seriously though I'd look at what the big on-line retailers like Amazon are doing and copy their best ideas. Amazon Prime being my suggestion.

Good luck whatevewr you decide.

Greg

Edited by - gregDT on 23/04/2011 08:50:04
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  09:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm no business woman,but I do know that to get a good customer base its not just good prices for equipment,free delivery etc that makes a business successful.
The big thing is a retailers reputation,if you haven't got one then you'll struggle. Start off small,prove that you have good prices,that deliveries are prompt,and that any problems are dealt with promptly and in the proper manner and work your way up is the sensible approach.
I for one,only ever made one Ebay purchase,I never received my goods and the person I dealt with had an extremely bad attitude. I've not been on there since as its completely put me off.
I can't speak highly enough of Surrey Pet Supplies and it would take a lot for me to go to another site for anything as I'm very wary now.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  21:55:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry to bring up an old thread, but wanted to now if anything ever happened with the website and where it got too

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  22:07:27  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
its fine, the site is up and running but hardly has any products on yet, its a work in progress

Owner of Renza Exotics - www.renzapets.co.uk
For all your Exotic & Domestic pet needs
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  10:25:28  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sorry would not buy anything from you

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  11:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diesel1994

its fine, the site is up and running but hardly has any products on yet, its a work in progress

can u let us now when it is fully up and running and you have all the products in as i would be interested to see what it is like. not promising about ordering anything but like to look and see what prices and products you have

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  11:15:51  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ailsa im sorry but you are the only person that i would not want to buy from me :), you have no form of constructive criticism, you obviously have nothing better to do with your time, and i will do reptiledanny, shouldnt be too long

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  11:32:48  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh i have constructive criticism which i prefer to offer to professional people who actually have a good promising business, yours is neither promising nor professional and you will not last long.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  11:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

oh i have constructive criticism which i prefer to offer to professional people who actually have a good promising business, yours is neither promising nor professional and you will not last long.

Just stop posting on this thread!

If you don't like his website fair enough, you have made that quite clear enough. Drop it now and stop posting on this thread!
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  12:46:30  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

Just stop posting on this thread!

If you don't like his website fair enough, you have made that quite clear enough. Drop it now and stop posting on this thread!

^^^

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  12:58:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

I fail to to what your problem is, do you own Surrey Pet Supplies or something?

If you have a look through the threads Diesel 1994 has started he has pitched ideas to what he considers his target customers (which he is pretty spot on with) and if we thought it was a bad idea we said, if its good we said and each time he has gone away, had a think and come back with a potential solution. I think its been a few weeks and he already has a website up and running in as much as its a work in progress and what I would call a testing phase. Thats come a long way in only a few weeks and if that was it, a finished product then yeah he wouldn't last long but its VERY clear its not finished.

How about write a list of things YOU would improve and why, apply some constructive elements to your negative and unhelpful posts or keep them to yourself.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  13:37:18  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I believe it was Gold 5 who said "Stay on Target!".
This thread is becoming WAY off target. Constructive criticism is one thing, just totally bitching is another.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  15:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diesel 1994, OK I was bored today so had a good mooch at your site, had a play with navigation etc. I noticed a few things that personally would put me off and othert things I liked.

Firstly your prices so far are more expensive than surrey pet supplies, in order to secure business you really have to be able to compete with the market leader.

I did like that your delivery costs start off low/per item which is great if you've only one or two things to get but after 3 items (in my playing about) the delivery charge was getting more and more expensive. Surrey pet supplies have a flat rate which you beat if its one item been ordered but I know when order stuff I try get everything I need in 1 go. Maybe if you can cap your delivery charges once they hit a certain price as the gap between your delivery costs been a bonus and hitting your £49.99 free delivery threshold is a potentally off putting price. (For example I put 3 items in the basket, subtotal £11.73 DELIVERY CHARGE £5.49, if I'd have put more in it would keep going up, Surrey pet supply delivery £3.99).

It is starting to look good now its getting pictures and stuff to look at, I'd like to see you do well but I wouldn't use you unless I was either buying 1 thing and your total cost beat surrey pet supplies or I was spending over £50 but again you'd still have to beat those other sellers.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  20:48:09  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i know sorry im trying to work on a flat cost feature, and these items are really just tests, i have registered with some suppliers and will have full way cheaper product ranges soon

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  22:48:00  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was chatting with the owner of SPS a couple of weeks ago and he said he has to risk fronting up 6 figure sums to be able to charge his prices. He said if a major player like Tesco suddenly decided to get into the business in a serious way then prices would tumble and most other stockists would go out of business...

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  17:39:27  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ohh I see you have frozen food on there now too :D Can I ask where you are getting them from of if you are breeding your own?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  18:34:40  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
getting it from a supplier at the moment, planning to breed my own in the near future or but from someone who breeds their own

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000