New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Danny919
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  10:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all i got my snake in a 30 x 18 x 24 vivarium will a 20watt heat mat be enouh to heat the tank, it covers about 1/3 of his tank and has a layer about 1cm deep of aspen shavings on it. The temps are reading about 80 in the warm end and 70-72 in the cool end. I was going to buy a infra light for extra heat sorce on a night time and ill also be avle to use it for a spot checking and viewing, the only thing is will the guard you can buy for them keep out a 7 month old corn? Ill upload some photos later at the mpment am at work and posted this via my mobile. Please reply because ill be wanting to sort it out.

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  11:11:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats a very big vivarium for a 7 month old corn.

Heatmats don't warm tanks. The idea is that the heatmat is placed at one end so the snake has a warm area in the tank. The snake will warm itself by laying on the heatmat. Ideally you need a digital thermometer with a probe. The probe should be placed on the heatmat and then the temps recorded from there.

Are you using a thermostat? If your heatmat is set up correctly and statted it will keep the temps fine all day 24/7 so no need for any extra form of nightime heating.
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  11:26:30  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm a new snake keeper and that does seem to be quite a big viv for a 7 months old corn. My new corn is in a beginners faun with a stat controlled heat mat covering half the base and the temp is steady all day long 24/7.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

Danny919
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  11:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did have him in a large flat faun but its just to small, thats my opinion, and ive always been the same when ive had pets, keeping them in large enclosures, i had a baby beardie had him frm about 6inches, 8 i put him in a 4ft 2ft 2ft viv straight of he grew to be about 2 n 1/2 foot long. And every one said then that i was doing wrong.
the heat in my corns viv is okay i just wondered if addiding a infra light would do more harm then good?
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  11:36:20  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the actual set up itself sounds fine, though i'd personally have the aspen even thinner over the heatmat

a 30 x 18 viv is suitable for a 48"/4 foot long corn.......

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Danny919
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  11:39:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the temperature probe for my stat just resting on the heat mat on top of the substrate does that sound okay?
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  11:49:15  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danny919

I have the temperature probe for my stat just resting on the heat mat on top of the substrate does that sound okay?

so is the probe on the mat or the substrate ???

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  11:49:48  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sounds fine as long as it wont move, perhaps sit the warm hide on top of it so it can't be moved because a probe that moves is as much use as a chocolate tea pot lol, my faun sits on top of my heat mat and the stat prob is directly on the heat mat, I'm sure if your corn had lots of hiding places and cover then will be ok.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

Danny919
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  12:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay yea, ill get some photos up tonight, i have plenty of things in the viv, ive spent about 250 quid on the set up and still need some bits like a lock for the glass sliding doors because ive read that they can figure out how to open them, n the pet shop sold out of digital thermometers but i am getting one as soon as it cmes in, i have those exo terra stick on thermometers at the moment, and a thermostat to regulate the temps.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000