Not Eating - Live food?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  19:23:22  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi, i recently got another corn and it hasnt eaten since it got here, shes quite under weight and you can feel her ribs. ive tried everything you can think of, except live, even the petshop are now saying that maybe the best way to go, if i was to do this i would need a licence, does anyone know where i can get one,
thanks for your help
sam

Owner of Renza Exotics - www.renzapets.co.uk
For all your Exotic & Domestic pet needs

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  19:27:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried, braining, heating up, fresh killed, assist feeding? How long have you had it and how often do you attempt to feed?

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  19:31:10  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi yes ive tried everything, and nothing, being attempting feeding with different intervals, i think she was previously fed live so its gunna b hard

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  19:36:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly we need to know *exactly* how the snake is being kept. Temperatures, enclosure size, number of hides, everything you can think of basically.

Secondly, pictures would help assess how thin this snake is. If it is underweight then it may have underlying health problems. A healthy corn should be able to go a long time without feeding and not lose much weight at all.

Thirdly, alot of corns are off their food at this time of year. One of my males has just started eating again after a 10 week fast.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  19:40:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long has it been?

OK, I'm not a fan of live feeding but needs must sometimes.

You don't need to have a licence but you do need to keep it quiet, its technically against the law but its a tricky area of the law full of loopholes, if you do it don't have people round to watch, don't film it for broadcast and supervise the whole process to prevent suffering on all sides then you should be fine.

From my own point of view the supervising bit is the most important bit make sure the mouse doesn't bite the snake and that the snake isn't stressed out and also that the mouse isn't stressed either. If the snake is used to eating live and hasn't eaten it should be over before the mouse knows what hit it.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Edited by - lotabob on 19/04/2011 19:40:45
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  20:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I was aware it is NOT illegal to feed live.

Edited by - Invalid User on 19/04/2011 20:20:40
Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  20:42:07  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok shes a 5-6ft snake, shes in a 5 footx 1.5x1.5 ft viv. her warm side is kept at 29-30 degrees,she has one hide in the warm end and in the cool end big pieces of bark that she can hide under, shes on aspen bedding and has a large water bowl. i handle her for about half an hour a day. odly enough she has a fatty lump above her tail but feels thin, you cannot see the ribs but they are easy to feel when holding her, she does not have a good lot of musscle like a normal corn would. any help appreciated thanks

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  20:59:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would stop handling altogether for a few weeks, and try feeding warmed mice every 7 days, by just putting down a piece of kitchen roll over the substrate and leaving the mouse overnight. As its been said, a LOT of snakes are off food during the breeding season so it may be that, its unlikely to be fat and thin and they are mainly ribs so its not unusual to feel them on bigger snakes. If you were to take a cross section of the snake it should be like a slice of bread, thats normal, if they are triangular then they are underweight.

If it is a 5-6 foot snake its on the older side of young and if its been live fed its whole life then it may be difficult to switch to prekilled/frozen prey but it won't be impossible either, opportunist feeders will eat when the opportunity arises just might need the right encouragement.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  21:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, pics are needed.

Stop handling her totally. Change the water every few days for now and give her a chance to settle.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  21:02:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You got the snake recently? How recently are we talking?

Edited by - Invalid User on 19/04/2011 21:03:14
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  21:36:23  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
stop handling is a MUST
reduce the size of the viv
cover the viv when there's people around
change the water every 3 days
only offer a feed weekly

has she ever eaten for you?
how long have you had her?
what did the vendor tell you she ate?
how much weight has she lost?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  21:39:45  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
is it the same snake as on this thread??
4-5ft, nearly 900g and obese??

Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  22:30:06  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
no not the same snake, and thanks for your advice i will do that, do you think locking them in a box with the mouse will work?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  22:33:05  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
them??

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  22:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diesel1994

no not the same snake, and thanks for your advice i will do that, do you think locking them in a box with the mouse will work?

Its a snake not a magicians assistant!

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  22:37:13  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

quote:
Originally posted by Diesel1994

do you think locking them in a box with the mouse will work?

Its a snake not a magicians assistant!

i really did lmfao

Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  23:04:24  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
no sorry i meant lock the snake in a box with the mouse and leave it, used to work with another of my corns

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  00:21:16  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Why don't you try to answer some of the other questions as well.
The ones like:
How long have you had it?
Has it ever taken a feed with you?

And get a photo of it and stop handling it as well.
A pic will help us loads to tell you if she's at any risk because of not eating. Locking her in a box with food can cause more stress sometimes which will cause her to stop eating for any longer.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  01:02:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Photos ~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly