Not another one!!! Help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  12:51:50  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There must be something in the air at my house. I have just had Carmellia out while I changed her water. I noticed that she seemed very plump just before her vent. I assumed that she must be ready for a poo as she was fed 3 days ago although she had already done one, it was a slightly bigger than normal meal. When I put her back in her viv, i allowed her to slide through my fingers. As she did so I am certain I can feel eggs. There are 8 or 9 bumps along the length of her body, some more noticable than others. Now I am really scared for this girl. I have had her since July last year and she has always been housed seperately and handled seperately. No chance of her coming into contact with a male. She was housed with Peanut before I got them as I saw them taken from the same faun but they were only a year old. Surely they couldn't have mated that young. Would he have been up to it at a year old? Could she have retained sperm if he had? Is it common for them to lay infertile eggs so young? She is only 2 years old, about 33" long and weighs 184g. What can I do to give her the best chance?

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  14:52:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they are eggs they will be infertile. If you think this snake is carrying eggs I would take it to your reptile vet before its gets to the laying stage.

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  18:34:18  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What will they do for her Matty? Will they deflate the eggs or something?

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  21:29:57  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the lumps could well be her ovulating rather than actually being eggs........especially as she's now of an age where she can physically reproduce and there's plenty of boys around her too!
to be on the safe side i'd treat her like any other gravid female - provide her with a lay box and keep feeding her, while she's still eating she's unlikely to be about to drop imminently (though that's by no means a clear indication!)

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  21:56:13  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I really hope it is ovulating rather than having eggs. Peanut is in the viv above her and he decided not to eat this week. Should I move her to feeds every 5 days instead of 7 then? She has put on 40g in a month. Does this help to say if it's eggs or ovulating?

0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  22:02:35  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
40g could be a lot of food in and a lot of poop yet to be passed..........
it wouldn't hurt to feed her every 5 days, if she was far enough on for you to be able to feel (potentially) eggs then she's likely to go off feeding very soon as there's not enough room for food and eggs......if she's just ovulating this time next week she have gone back to normal size hun

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  22:31:47  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ali. Think I'm getting overly paranoid after what has happened with Connie. At least if the worst does happen then I am prepared this time. I'm beginning to be very glad I have got more males than females. At least I only have to worry about them not eating and trashing their vivs

0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2011 :  20:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any news?

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2011 :  20:46:40  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think it must be that she is just ovulating. I did some more research online n the pics I have seen of ovulating females look like how Carmellia is. And I had increased her food intake recently which would account for the weight gain. I'l keep an eye on her but I think it's just me being paranoid.

0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  10:16:21  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
phew!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000