New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Danny919
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  20:08:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, this is my new vivarium that i bought today for my snake, atm he is in his old faunarium which i think is too small so im upgrading, the problem i have now is i believe its to dark in the new viv, I have a heat mat under the substrate, but i was just wondering if i placed a UV bulb in the tank does it emit heat? will my snake get burnt if it touches it and will i need to cage the uv bulb ? or is there some other easy way of creating more light in this enclosure?

Heres the photo

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  20:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UV bulbs dont give off much heat, but they are expensive bulbs and yes they need guarded, snake may crush the bulb. LED is a cheap way of lighting and doesnt really give off heat and they dont need guarding

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  20:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is already a great big light you can use. The sun through a window is sufficient for the snake during the day and will provide plenty of the UV needed. Any lighting you put in will be for your own benefit so think about some LED strip light s or something like that for viewing. Any glass bulbs will need guarded to avoid burns and also breakages.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Danny919
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  20:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive just been looking at a LED strip light, i have a few questions regarding them though, if i do buy one will i be able to fix it to the roof of my viv with double sided sticky tape ? and also, i heard the 12V is the best ones to buy as it will not give an electric shock and they are safer, and do they just plug into a standard UK plug socket or do i need a transformer and ty for ur quick reply
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  21:00:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LEDs need a transformer. And a big NO to any tape in the viv, snakes + tape = trouble

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 18/04/2011 21:01:07
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  21:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i had the push led lights from poundland in with mine, cheap batteries no need for transformers and plugs

Go to Top of Page

Danny919
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  21:08:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

LEDs need a transformer. And a big NO to any tape in the viv, snakes + tape = trouble

why is tape bad ?
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  22:55:22  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Snakes can get stuck to the tape and it can cause awful injuries.

i use push LED lights too in some of my vivs. The ones that already had lights and guards fitted I use energy saving bulbs. But all my lights are only put on when I am cleaning out or spot checking.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000