Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

uma and bill
Hatchling

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  09:22:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We bought our Boa yesterday but in the shop he struck Steve 5 times and the shop owner, he said to see how it goes for 2 weeks so we took him home and left him from 4 in the afternoon till an hour ago while we stayed at mates so he had no disturbances all that time but we just tried to get him out and didnt even get as far as taking the lid off before he struck at it.should we keep him and hope it stops or take him back and get the female which was placid when we held her in the shop?

sjmarshall

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  09:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leave the snake alone for a good week to settle down.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  09:59:53  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as matty said, leave it alone for a week to settle and chill out

what sort of enclosure have you put it in?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

uma and bill
Hatchling

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  10:08:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

as matty said, leave it alone for a week to settle and chill out

what sort of enclosure have you put it in?

the man gave us a faun with a plant and some wood, its just laying on the wood ready to strike if u even move near it we dont want to end up with a nasty snake and the female was really placid.

sjmarshall
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  10:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't own a boa so I can't really advise as to their nature. He's likely to be very scared at the mo though as its early days..
Is there anywhere really quiet you can put his faun,if you've not already? Perhaps covering the back and sides of it may help him feel more secure too,or maybe moving him into a RUB as the plastics not as clear on them which would help with security.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  10:18:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How big is the boa? tbh its fairly normal baby behaviour, its a fear thing, not an aggression thing! Whilst its gonna hurt a bit when it bites, you need to get over that, if you cant, then its really not for you!! if you cant get over it, it will only get worse, and you will potentially have a bitey snake, or a snake you dont trust as an adult, and when a 6 or 7ft boa bites you, you gonna know all about it!

How you keep it will make a difference, so all the info asked for is useful to know. Some of my babies are a little bitey and hissy, which as mentioned, fairly normal. Its how you react to it that makes the difference, Boas arent corns, they are more intelligent and learn much quicker than corns, so you need to be on top of it.

Was the biting when it was in the enclosure, or whilst you were handling? was there open mouth hissing as well??
Its a difficult thing really, some but not all grow out of the bitey stage, some stay like it because they know you will leave them alone, i had one like that, and believe me, at 5ft she could pack a punch, and she was only 2 years old!!!
As everyone has said, you really need to give it time to adjust, for at least a week, and seeing as you have a bitey snake, i would say its essential.

I would say persevere with it, you can turn it around, but, you must be prepared for a bite, and not let it phase you, yes it hurts, yes it bleeds, but thats it, it hurts less than a papercut, and for less time, i grazed myself worse than a boa bite! thats no lie!
Its getting your head round it thats key, or they will know! they have a sixth sense like that, kinda like a horse does, they know if you are scared! Take my big boa, when anyone who is scared of her is handling, be it only a couple of feet of her, she goes to great lenghts to get back to me, and only me, because she knows the person is scared and i am not, she trusts me, and that is something you can develop with a boa, thats where they far exceed most other snakes.

Keep us updated though, see how it goes.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  10:20:50  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok, you need to get the setup right so the snake isn't stressed

our female Sinder Hypo was an absolute nightmare when we picked her up and all the way home she was striking at the side of the RUB every time i changed gear and i could hear her hissing above the car radio! but a week left on her own and she chilled out

your boa needs at least 2 hides, one warm end and one cold end, the faun needs 3 sides covering with paper or anything, at the moment it will feel very exposed and is acting defensively

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Mole
Hatchling

United Kingdom
121 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  11:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm feeling for you, but on the up side lots of very good advice from experienced people to take, good luck and hope you persevere with him

1.0.0 corn snake Striker
1.0.0 dog Merlo
0.1.0 rabbit Sparkle
0.2.0 Cats Skid and Whizz
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  11:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Hogg Island Boa is very hissy at times, full open mouth loud hissing and you have to just ignore it. She hisses at me because she is scared. I just take the advice I was given and remain confident and just reach in behind her and pick her up. After about 30 seconds she stops hissing and happily slides around my arm.

So far it's all been a front with her and she has never struck or bitten me but even if/when she does I will just keep on as before. As mentioned above, I don't want a grumpy bitey 6ft boa later!
Go to Top of Page

uma and bill
Hatchling

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  13:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes we will, thank you for advice :-)

sjmarshall
Go to Top of Page

uma and bill
Hatchling

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  14:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

How big is the boa? tbh its fairly normal baby behaviour, its a fear thing, not an aggression thing! Whilst its gonna hurt a bit when it bites, you need to get over that, if you cant, then its really not for you!! if you cant get over it, it will only get worse, and you will potentially have a bitey snake, or a snake you dont trust as an adult, and when a 6 or 7ft boa bites you, you gonna know all about it!

How you keep it will make a difference, so all the info asked for is useful to know. Some of my babies are a little bitey and hissy, which as mentioned, fairly normal. Its how you react to it that makes the difference, Boas arent corns, they are more intelligent and learn much quicker than corns, so you need to be on top of it.

Was the biting when it was in the enclosure, or whilst you were handling? was there open mouth hissing as well??
Its a difficult thing really, some but not all grow out of the bitey stage, some stay like it because they know you will leave them alone, i had one like that, and believe me, at 5ft she could pack a punch, and she was only 2 years old!!!
As everyone has said, you really need to give it time to adjust, for at least a week, and seeing as you have a bitey snake, i would say its essential.

I would say persevere with it, you can turn it around, but, you must be prepared for a bite, and not let it phase you, yes it hurts, yes it bleeds, but thats it, it hurts less than a papercut, and for less time, i grazed myself worse than a boa bite! thats no lie!
Its getting your head round it thats key, or they will know! they have a sixth sense like that, kinda like a horse does, they know if you are scared! Take my big boa, when anyone who is scared of her is handling, be it only a couple of feet of her, she goes to great lenghts to get back to me, and only me, because she knows the person is scared and i am not, she trusts me, and that is something you can develop with a boa, thats where they far exceed most other snakes.

Keep us updated though, see how it goes.

Thanks its about 1.4 feet long.

sjmarshall
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  14:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, at 18 inches its gonna be very young, so being snappy isnt all that un expected, its rarer to have a baby boa that doesnt hiss and bite than one that does, all my babies hiss and bite given the chance, but as Louise says, confidence is the key, if you dont have it, they will walk all over you, so to speak! leave it be for a week or so, and see how you go from there, nothing but water changes and the occasional spot clean.

Go to Top of Page

uma and bill
Hatchling

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  14:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for everyones advice its just a little distressing when your used to corns.

sjmarshall
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  15:51:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just took this quick video to show you what my hogg is like and how I pick her up and also how soon she calms down. She has only been with me a couple of weeks now but is fast learning that no amount of hissing will stop me picking her up. I took a chance here to as she hates the camera and I did think I was asking for trouble having her in one hand and the camera in the other but she was very good, again, she is learning that the camera wont hurt her!

Also notice how when a boa doesn't want to go back in a rub it's hard to stop them one handed! These guys are clever and as you have already noticed, very different to corns :p

http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff471/CodyBoo2/?action=view¤t=DSCF7230.mp4
Go to Top of Page

uma and bill
Hatchling

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  21:06:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

Just took this quick video to show you what my hogg is like and how I pick her up and also how soon she calms down. She has only been with me a couple of weeks now but is fast learning that no amount of hissing will stop me picking her up. I took a chance here to as she hates the camera and I did think I was asking for trouble having her in one hand and the camera in the other but she was very good, again, she is learning that the camera wont hurt her!

Also notice how when a boa doesn't want to go back in a rub it's hard to stop them one handed! These guys are clever and as you have already noticed, very different to corns :p

http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff471/CodyBoo2/?action=view¤t=DSCF7230.mp4

Thanks for the video it helps alot and you can really hear the hissing.Ours looks like yours but a little bit smaller, gorgeous snakes arent they

sjmarshall
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  21:28:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just recently got a Boa heard they can be a bit nippy as babies but they mellow out once they feel comfortable, Sanke has got over the bitey stage but still gives a little musk every now and again when scared but once she's picked up she calms right down once she sees that shes not on the menu.

Keep going and you'll get a nice tame and nosey Boa like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv5w1QqIMnw

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 15/04/2011 21:35:13
Go to Top of Page

uma and bill
Hatchling

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  21:41:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah it was pics of your Boa that made my mind up about getting one im abit bewildered about how big it will get though as im used to my corns but im sure as it grows i will be so attached i wont care it will just be my baby :-)

sjmarshall
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  21:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What type of boa is he?
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  21:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What type of Boa did you get, is it a common Boa (or whatever they call them these days)? You get all the taming down and settling done while they are small as they will get big (but not monster sized) I think Boa's top out at 9 feet max, maybe a few out there that get bigger. there are 10 sub species though, I have a Hogg island, they rarely exceed 5 feet but I'm planning for her to hit 6 to be on the safe side, always plan for the biggest they could get rather than hope they stay small. To an extent you can control size by feeding different amounts but not a fan of this method so thats all I'll say on it. By the time its an adult you will be so attached it wont be scary or worrying.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

uma and bill
Hatchling

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  22:41:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A common Boa with the red/brown tail, I have seen some pictures and some of them are massive. I heard about the feeding method but I cant say I agree with it.

sjmarshall
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  22:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will have to get some pics up of yours. :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000