Drilling air holes in a RUB...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  22:54:33  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi guys and gals,

I bought a RUB yesterday for Pandora and spent what felt like an eternity drilling 3 rows of holes near the bottom at the warm end, and about a 5 inch square section in the lid over the cool end, and then had to smooth all the burrs because I didn't know the masking tape trick to keeping burrs to a minimum until afterwards. Which was typical. lol

2 questions. 1) Was there even a need to drill any holes as apparently rubs have a small gap all around the top edge when you fit the lid. And 2) if holes are still a good idea is my layout of holes ok? The low holes/warm end and high level/cool end thinking is because of warm air rising, but tbh I don't have a clue if all my hard work makes a jot of difference! lol

It's been set sup for 24 hours for temp monitoring and hopefully Pandora will have the removal men in tomorrow. :)

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  08:31:03  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
there isn't a real need to drill air holes as they're not airtight boxes but i do prefer more fresh air for my snakes
i'd use the high-level holes for the warm end so the snake is warm and draught-free, and use the low-level holes for the cool end

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  19:14:07  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
all my RUBs get extra ventilation, I use a soldering iron (don't get any burrs with this) and melt a hole in each of the dimples on all the sides (160 for each box!).

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory

Edited by - eeji on 13/04/2011 19:14:35
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  19:28:11  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Loving the soldering iron idea! Less hassle and much neater! Though must take a while for all those holes! :) I'll have to pop down Maplins sometime soon... :)

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  20:12:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a skewer heated up in the fire. How high tech am I lol!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  23:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used the dimples as guides for the holes too, looks very neat and tidy, I used a drill lol, just used a pen knife to clip off the rough bits.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  14:53:26  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
we do too lotabob

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000