eggs help!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

giant
Snake Mite

2 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  22:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im all new to this,my corn snake has just laid eggs.
*how will i know when shes finished laying
*should i move eggs as she is laying or move once shes finished
*how do i know if egg are fertile
*do i feed her straight away once finished

i am a compleat novice and any help with this and incubation advice would be greatly recieved

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  23:14:39  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

If you go down to the Breeding section it should be of some use. Search around for incubator advice, and as I've never bred before I can't tell you much more sadly =[ I'd say let her finish laying the eggs, CAREFULLY remove the eggs without tilting them, put them in to the incubator, then give her a day or so to recoop before offering food. I bet she'll be starving but tired. You need to get an incubator set up ASAP and be ready to move them as soon as possible. Generally I think once the female is empty of eggs she just looks really skinny. When she's gravid she'll look fat/bumpy. Keep in mind that if she fails to lay all of her eggs within a day or two it could mean a trip to the vets to remove any stuck eggs!

I assume this wasn't a planned breeding, so just wondering if you're keeping the male in there with her? If so, I'd move him into his own tank straight away to avoid situations like this, and to stop him pestering her further.

I'm sorry I can't help any more, and may have gotten some advice wrong, so wait for someone more knowledgeable to come along. Although at this hour I'm not sure who will be online =[

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
1.0.0 Bloodred Corn - Loki.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
1.1.0 Cats - Moggy and Pretty Girl.
0.0.1 Royal Python - Odin R.I.P 20/6/10.
Wishlist = Pied Sided Bloodred, Anery Stripe, Coral Stripe, Bloodred, Green Blotched Snow,
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Location = Chatham, Kent.

Edited by - Scarlett on 10/04/2011 23:16:41
Go to Top of Page

giant
Snake Mite

2 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  23:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi thanks for the advice as i said i am a complete novice so any advice is welcome. we have only got the one snake so she must have mated before we got her. thought its worth asking even at this time as really need advice as i have nobody i can ask till tomorrow!! just hope im doing everything ok at the moment,it both exciting yet scary at the same time
once again thank you for taking the time to reply
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  06:50:59  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd put in a laying box (large damp hide) in the warm end of the viv to encourage her to pass all her eggs then give her 24hrs peace and quiet
if you post a pic of the eggs somebody here will be able to tell you if they're viable but basically yellowy, hard ones are slugs (infertile)

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000